ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Scientific Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Scientific Discussion This forum is limited to published/presented scientific research, in a quasi-academic format, with references where appropriate; clear and structured discourse is encouraged

Old 06-12-18, 10:15 AM

Thanked 6,434 Times in 4,684 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation
Re: All disease is preventable (simplified with references added)

All disease is preventable
- maintain physiology (physiological parameters) to maintain health

Bodily pH maintenance
H+* + HCO3- <-> H2CO3 <-> CO2* + H20
*Elevated in normal exercise (glycolysis + electron transport)

ketosis -> no lactic acid -> endurance exercise
H+ + HCO3- <- H2CO3 <- CO2 + H20
Maintain blood pH due to no acid being produced through anaerobic respiration.
Endurance exercise is pure aerobic - best in fasted state (ketosis)

Metabolic acidosis does not result in ketosis

Also - foods - metabolic acidosis results from the consequence of food intake.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/
Cl[-]+PO4[3-]+SO4[2-] vs Na+ K+ Mg2+ Ca2+
NO3[-]

PO4[3-]+SO4[2-] - so phosphate and sulphate are a particular problem
Phosphate food pyramid - note veggies at the bottom
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4361095/
sulphate - enters through protein - cysteine and methionine - close to eliminate protein intake eliminate sulphate.

Eliminate phosphate [use in ATP] sulphate [every single protein through cysteine] - switch towards a non-dividing / non-protein generating paradigm ie
growth + proliferation -> respiration (slow mitochodrial biogenesis, slow neural biogenesis, slow neural rearrangement) - no real high energy biosynthetic components required.

Shift to organic low GI vegan (note ? effects of NPK fertilizer on anion content of vegetables - must increase anions - so shift to organic low GI veggies ideally grown in sun cf natural anti-UV anti-oxidants produced only if plants need to cf melanin [anti-oxidant]increases only when exposed to sun)
+ fat (vegan ColdPressed MonoUnsatFA/CP omega-3/CP PolyUnsatFA
->- Ketosis
supporting pH maintenance (pH 7.4)
->- decreases Ca2+ mobilization from skeleton on 2 levels ie the bicarb buffering system and also through high anion load (acidifying ash) upon food choice.

Increased extracellular ca2+ -> leads -> increased intracellular Ca2+
eg [Ca2+]i was determined as 49-50 nM in the presence of 0.05 mM external CaCl2, and 54-56 nM in the presence of 2.0 mM CaCl2.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9477160

Increased [Ca2+]i -> Increased Activity - we don't want activity in cells after growth is complete (as described above).

-*-

So - major determinants of body pH (acidification connecting to growth) altered with morality (wisdom) into alkalization of extracellular fluid - calming calcium homeostasis downregulating cellular activity - decreasing ROS and enhancing measured mitochondrial (eustress) activity - drivign repair mechanism reactivation and recycling mechanism activation.

Last edited by SB_UK; 06-12-18 at 10:25 AM..
Old 06-12-18, 10:32 AM

--- Conclusion ---

Morality [to realise that this is the point of mind]
+
Understanding [arises through generalizaing the Theory of Everything]
-> leads to ->
Moral people in a Moral global social environment
->
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
->
Global co-operatives all inclusive to generate survival essentials - all people contribute to their own needs (may be completely automated)

->- Congratulations - you are now free (Doors of Perception open and Motivation set towards 'love' and not hate) - to do as you will - where what you will desire is to practice eustress - to become ever better in collaboration with all other people beoming better - such that an ever better world results with every passing breath of the now properly aligned species.
Old 06-12-18, 11:34 AM

So - was there any point in the biomedical / pharmaco / genetic approach ?

The conclusion would have to be - yes it's completely wrong.
But if nobody wants and thereby follows a healthy lifestyle.
Then cutting out bits, genes and proteins would appear the only recourse.

It's nonsense - but what's the alternative ?

So - the alternative was for a huge review of all available information which culminates in species enlightenment and change in reward system which alters appetite preferences from excess consumption/consumerism to the pursuit of individual/collective quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart and Lisa Simpson
Are we nearly there yet ?
Old 06-13-18, 12:18 AM

Old 06-13-18, 12:28 AM

--- Autonomic nervous system ---

So - I think that at its heart that allergic disease/asthma is dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system (so instead of a balanced sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system - what we have is increased sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system flow which manifests itself as increased resistance to the sympathetic nervous system and increased sensitivity to the parasympathetic nervous system). An imbalance in control of the autonomic nervous system in such a way that when we call on it - it does not operate as it should wo for intance in the lung when we're supposed to bronchodilate (eg in exercise) (I still take ventolin) - increased resistance to SNS and sensitivity to PNS results in spasm. So if we imagine a game of tug-of-war in which there are two teams and in which they're evenly matched and try as they might the flag remains at the central (homeostatic) point - as we call on the autonomic nervous system (ie increase function in exercise) - it's as though we put more people onto both sides at which point exercise-induced asthma occurs because the two sides are not balanced due to increased 'strength' in the PNS and decreased 'strength' in the SNS. SNS agonism and PNS antagonism appear to be therapeutic approaches to asthma treatment.

--- Obesity ---
Same basic idea - except instead of b2AR agonists - obesity is treated (this was a project in SOR's group) with b3AR agonists - and so once again imbalance in the autonomic nervous system.

--- Why is the autonomic nervous disrupted ---
Well - the striking observation I made was of the incredible connection between anxiety and asthma in the schoolkids we had in the school I was in, I had all health data on 200 kids each year for 3 years (from around the world - with the only shared feature being that they were all rich - 50k pa fees) and anxiety and asthma were very much associated. It looks like this idea is coming back in a big way in eg "Anxiety and asthma in inner-city black adolescents: What could be the underestimated, possible connection?" Now - I don't have the paper but their use of 'underestimated' is interested. The confounder in my study (ie being rich) is removed in this study ie the anxiety-asthma connection is made in the poor and their confounder (being black) is removed in my study (where we had an even spread of races). Their study concentrated on inner city kids - whereas my study had kids from rich parts of their respective country.

--- Infections ---
One of the places where the idea that I'm describing arose from was this paper:" those with GCR [glucocorticoid resistance through chronic distress exposure] were at higher risk of subsequently developing a cold." (PNAS April 17, 2012. 109 (16) 5995-5999).

Now my youngest and myself (the asthmatics that verge on eczema) were always getting colds. In the first couple of years of school - she was off with a cold for more days than the rest of the class put together. Surprisingly though - for the last 5 years, I have been under little stress and have had no colds - however in the last 2 weeks (corporate takeover) have had a cold. So - the suggestion is that chronic stress as opposed to occasional stress exposure gives rise to a dampening of the stress response ie glucocorticoid resistance and SNS resistance (as well as PNS sensitivity) which result (together) in asthma/allergic disease.

--- Consequences of stress ---
What happens when people are overly stressed ? They eat comfort foods - where these are generally stimulants (ie increase blood glucose levels and are high in umami) ... ... so take-away food would be the ultimate in comfort food - as it contains starch and animal protein (umami).

--- Consequences of change in appetitive preference ---
It's fairly well established that diversity in veggies result in an optimal gut biome and that this is destroyed by eating a diet (the take-away) without soluble fibre.
I'd like to take this one stage further and suggest that there are two basic metabolic states - the ketosis state (from low GI veggies, eating little, certain types of oil consumption) ie low in blood glucose elevating and low in protein (glutamate) levels ie in effect green veggies/vegan oils vs animal products/grain (starch) since casein and gluten are also high in glutamate.
So - two broadly opposing diets - the high N/high C vs low N/low C diet - where it's fairly well established that low N/low C (low insulin/low IGF-1) activate autophagy - activate apoptosis results in the elimination of arms of the specific immune system which recognise self and allergen.

--- Connection between anxiety and asthma/allergy ? ---
The problem is that the basis to anxiety in allergic/asthma gives rise to the opposite metabolic state which the allergic/asthmatic requires for health.

So - what is the core, inherited quality to asthmatic ?

From looking at lots of asthmatics now (including my connection to my youngest) - we are clearly the same in high sensitivity.
Neither of us like loud noise, we both like to be alone, we love time out in the country, we work best when we hide and our by ourselves.

That's perhaps why I'm here in silence at 3am writing this email.
So - I'm suggesting - that the allergic/asthmatic evolutionary property is increased sensitivity (to sensory information); the mechanism by which this occurs has been elucidated but in the world of autism and not asthma.

--- Bringing it all together ---
Increased sensory sensitivity and predisposition to low N / low C diet (veggies + vegan oil which is my diet currently) when exposed to 'distress' -> leads to -> glucocorticoid resistance, imbalance in the autonomic nervous system, disruption in the human metabolic milieu (ie loss of b-hydroxybutyrate), gut biomic disruption, bacterial influx through the intestine and a heightened pro-inflammatory state. Now - I'm fairly sure that we lose butyrate producing bacteria as we lose gut biomic diversity - but I'm also wondering whether other biomes are lost as the asthmatic does not produce b-hydroxybutyrate ie whether b-hydroxybutyrate promotes a health biome.

Increased neural sensitivity in allergic asthmatic / Increased dependency on ketosis [from an evolutionary perspective these would have selected ie to avoid being eaten and to be able to go for days without eating]
+
Western style of living (high distress and easy access to high N and high C foods)
->-
glucocorticoid resistance + autonomic nervous system imbalance + metabolic disruption (high N/High C arb not high 'butyrate' in either form)
->-
allergic / asthma

--- Asthma in the animal kingdom ?---
The asthmatic reaction would not be expected to occur in the animal - as I'm suggesting that the two features giving rise to the allergic asthmatic have arisen relatively recently ie ketosis-habituated and sensory sensitivity selected for during persistence hunting ie spending days following wild animals to wear them out - not requiring to physically attack them until they're so tired that they can't fight back.

--- How could all of this be tested ? ---
Place an asthmatic in a low stress environment (this is what happened to me over the last 5 years) - and there's a natural shift towards ketosis (when I first visitied you second time around - I'd just completed a 21 day fast - which I've subsequently shifted to 40 days now) and allergic/asthma goes away ... ... and then in a high stress environment (this is what happened to me over the last little while) and I lose the ability to fast (distress triggers wild swings in glucose levels triggers hunger) - and an increase in colds, hayfever and asthma. Dietary change gives rise to biomic change. All though resulting from an inherited component - the inheritance of sensory system sensitivity.

--- What would I do ? ---
Try and check glucocorticoid resistance and autonomic nervous system imbalance in asthmatics and work up the connection between asthma and anxiety by questionnaire in order to see what causes the asthmatic allergic distress.
I can though tell you that we're happiest when we're put in a place of work by ourselves (as I did at the WTCHG and am doing now) to operate autonomously - as our sensitivity dislikes distraction.

S / B.
Old 06-13-18, 12:28 AM

So thinking eg
'In fact, within two weeks of a high FOS diet, rats showed increase butyrate in the large intestine without changing the total number of anaerobic bacteria '
--Neuroscience Letters Volume 625, 20 June 2016, Pages 56-63

'This connection between Gammaproteobacteria blooms and inflammation and has been largely studied for the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. However, the same mechanisms are likely at play in the respiratory tract in chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease... ...'
-- Mucosal Immunol. 2017 Mar; 10(2): 299–306

So ... ... what we have is ?
Sensitivity (inherited ie to sensory signal) -> Distress -> Appetite change -> Biome change (butyrate producing to anaerobic bacteria which grow from the reactive species produced by inflammation) -> Inflammation then worsens (asthma as an infectious disease)
ie 'While Gammaproteobacteria benefit from airway inflammation, they also encode molecular components that promote inflammation, potentially creating a cyclical inflammatory mechanism '
-- Mucosal Immunol. 2017 Mar; 10(2): 299–306

Yes - an inherited component and Yes - asthma as an infectious disease.
However - we need to put in evolutionary selection for survival (heightened senses and ketosis adapted selected for through survival of a particularly puny species given any animal that we'd ever eat) - and what we get is:

Heightened Senses + Metabolic adaptation to ketosis (not eating - ketone body formation + soluble fibre consumption generating butyrate) -> leads to -> optimal physiology under an appropriate environment (low distress - in order to match with the increased stress sensitivity driven by heightened sensory capacity in allergic / asthmatic).

Thanks!! Nobody else seems to like talking about molecular mechanisms - we were called the Wellcome Trust Centre for Molecular Mechanisms in Disease (first two jobs here) until the Wellcome took away our fancy title.

S.
(ps I think that the big guy downstairs from you studies HDACi (butyrate/b-hydroxybutyrate) in asthma. I think I saw some posters on the wall on the way to using his nanodrop.
Old 06-14-18, 03:14 PM

The trilogy ends [Conclusion - Fat, Protein and Carbohydrate]

Ahhh!

This is an interesting story - I tried to go into vegan ketosis with cocomut oil and had a severe immediate asthmatic attack - so bad that ventolin didn't work - gave both tubs to the postwoman who uses it in her hair.

Anyway - moved to MCT oil and no problem.

So ... ... ...

long chain triglyceride saturated fat + TLR4 -> immune reaction triggered

The inflammatory reaction recruits cells eg neutrophils which release ROS to combat saturated fat !

TLR4 -> NF-kB kicks off an inflammatory reaction.

Immune cells migrate to location (open up intestinal cell gap junctions) in diapedesis and perhaps this is where the 'leakiness' of the gut begins.

ROS destroys gram negative bacteria -> LPS enters blood stream -> postprandial endotoxemia
Eaten (dead) gram negative bacteria -> LPS enters blood stream -> postprandial endotoxemia
eg https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21376773

Bacterial composition (gut + respiratory mucosa) changes based on oxidative stress resistant bacteria surviving and oxidative stress sensitive dying off.
"Most Proteobacteria are resistant to oxidative stress and promote immune reactivity ... while most of the gut microbes inducing immune tolerance are sensitive to oxidative stress."
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...52231717300192

Relationship between gut biome bacteria colonizing the lung biome ? Seems reasonable ??

So - that ^^^ connects fat (Sat fat) to protein (high/animal) to carb (sugar/starch) in the 'sensitive' individual as the basis to asthma and allergy.

Eustress -> Omega-3/Soluble fibre ...vs... Distress -> Sat fat/High protein/Sugar+Starch [comfort food]
cure for asthma ...vs... cause of asthma (in the sensitive individual - with sensitivity being the inherited trait)

The rest of the story (in the other 2 emails) - is failure to engage autophagy (repair) and apoptosis (recycling) through high protein / high sugar+starch (autophagy fails in a high protein/high glucose environment) and so we don't delete (apoptosis) cells of the adaptive immune system which are raised against self-antigen (auto-immune disease) or inocuous allergen (atopic disease).

Together Sat Fat / Protein / Carb break the honorable intentions of the innate and adaptive immune system - it's impressive to see how badly wrong we can get it - if we don't try and solve optimal conditions for psychological wellbeing and then optimal conditions for physical (metabolic) wellbeing.

Apparently - fasting for 3-4 days can assist in autophagy/apoptosis and lead to renewal of the immune system through stem cell reactivation.
https://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/...909(16)00019-9

Now - I think that ORMDL proteins fit in - in that they're associated with ER stress - which is part of the autophagy/apoptosis process ie increased Ca2+ release from the ER indicates stress - leads to first 'repair' and then recycling of the system.
Some stress (oxidative stress) is good leads to mitohormesis and more than the correct amount of stress is bad - leads to mitochondrial destruction through increased Ca2+ being incorporated into the mitochondrial membranes.

So - ORMDL proteins should alter the likelihood of a cell surviving under stress and so would allow the cell to do more damage- if the immune reaction it's participating in - is in raging against something inocuous.

There's an interesting point in the literature, exactly as mentioned above relating to oxidative stress in that it's not possible to call oxidative stress food or bad - there's a eustressful and a distressful exposure which applies.
So (eg) 'autophagy's role in cell survival and cell death' https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16247498) might seem contradictory - how can autophagy both protect and destroy the cell ie upregulating autophagy can result in enhancing cancer cell survival or enhancing cancer cell death - where I think it's all as simple as eustress leads to protection (repair) and distress leads to destruction (recycling) ... ... ie we need to be under a little stress (housekeeping) but not too much stress where either too little or too much stress results in distress - we need to be in the middle.

This is shown in the mitohormesis plot.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._graph.svg.png

ie some but neither none nor too much.

-*-

So - this email and the last two emails hold, I think to complete the story.

I've taken the observations on myself - information sensitivity, elimination of asthma on complete fasting, elimination of hayfever on complete fasting, difficulty fasting when distressed, asthmatic attack when exposed to saturated fat, caffeine assists lung function and rolled them together.
Ketosis (b-hydroxybutyrate) and A diverse biome (butyrate) are the key here.

-*-

Of course - we can take a step further and connect (eg Genomics England's 100000 Genomes project on cancer/developmental disorders) and see how all of the ^^^ above ie poor housekeeping giving rise to a dominant mutation in meiosis in development or a somatic mutation or two in adulthood, would give rise to a developmental disorder or cancer, respectively ... ... and could be fixed by switching from distress -> comfort food preference to eustress -> a certain profile of organic (often raw) fresh vegan food - alongside fasting/endurance exercise to support the ketosis state.

-*-

So - what's the model ? Simply.

Eustress -> Omega-3/Soluble fibre ...vs... Distress -> Sat fat/High protein/Sugar+Starch
in a new (evolutionary) model of increasing informational sensitivity selected through persistence hunting - the need to spot prey before we're eaten, to keep walking until we wear our prey out ... ... and to survive long periods between feasts.

We do need to define what is distressful though (but I think we can tell by looking at the work of epidemiologists Richard Wilkinson and Michael Marmot - it mostly though comes down to needing money to survive)
- and that'd be it.

The basis to appetite change, the pro-inflammatory reaction, human microbiome change and polygenic disorders through emergence in sensitivity ?
Although we might find genes which associate statistically significantly with disease - we can turn their penetrance down to zero by correcting, in effect, distress - since whether we have a genome which encodes a cell type which can survive oxidative stress a little better than another - if we don't ever put the cell into an environment of oxidative stress - then its unique feature - that it can survive when other warriors fail - will never be called on.

Thanks again .... !!

SB.
Old 06-14-18, 03:22 PM

Old 06-14-18, 03:31 PM

^^^

1 Slow down ageing (knock out Ins/IGF-1)
2 Increase flexibility (pro-GABA)
3 Allow people access to sunshine and not screwed down in cubicle (end to work)
4 End forced separation of babies with parents in childcare (work no longer exists)
5 Death to fossil fuels, pesticides, plastic, artificial fertilizer (the profit motive collapses)
6 End to Nation (no longer a financial incentive in ruling class locking you in)
7 No further access/desire for drugs of addiction (self-destruction)
8 Women no longer discriminated against for having children (work no longer exists)
9 Male-Female parity in pair-bond as woman no longer needs to be looked after

10 Live your life - there is now nothing stopping you from being all that you can imagine yourself being.
Old 06-16-18, 01:23 AM

• Absence in human hierarchy (money/power) -> Collaborative not Competitive relationships with others -> The planet is shared (no longer owned) -> A healthy (mind/body/spirit) life is chosen
  • To choose one's path (work) in life -> to improve self NOT destroy ALL (animal, vegetable, mineral) others
  • Fasting -> reinstatement of bodily flexibility
  • Endurance Exercise [barefoot] -> key to mitochondrial biogenesis
  • Organic veggies (low GI) -> onions/garlic/Jerusalem artichoke grow like weeds (the world may be fed)
  • Sun exposure (with a dog and music) - learning quality in aural/optical/tactile (stroking a dog) sensory streams through training the senses
  • Through absence in coercion -> True learning ->preceding-> Creative expression ie learning to become better in any (valid <- happens if we want to participate after co-ercion (money/power) is removed) context -> increase in individual quality / collective diversity in quality (the current task in evolutionary process since mind (understanding context) dies).
Quote:
freedom, that's all that life is
But what about human requirements for energy ? Human beings can acquire but do not need energy when happy - you generate your own energy through gut, bacterial and mitochondrial genomes.
But what about technology ? Google+UNIX are taking us back to the distributed architecture - your device will no longer be anything other than a robust dumb terminal - won't need to be updated - all updating will occur on the central servers with one operating system, one or two languages and there'll be no need for multiple disparate architectures.
But what about cars/aeroplanes ? There'll probably be a bus on rails but where do you want to go ? You're now happy
But I need clothes ? One set - which'll last for your adult life - see religious monastery chic - focus on your own innate quality not cosmetic, vacuous, superficial quality.
Who will supply my insurance ? healthcare ? legal advice ? They're ALL dead industries - the problems they service have been prevented

Last edited by SB_UK; 06-16-18 at 01:33 AM..
Old 06-16-18, 01:37 AM

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

One set of towelling pants and the capacity to communicate.

"bare necessities" -- since when you're working on *you* on the inside
- you will have no time to survey things accrued on the outside.