ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Personality Disorders
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-16, 07:06 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,168 Times in 9,375 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does "personality disorders" actually mean anything?

I've also seen people with axis 1 (non-personality disorder diagnoses) be ego-syntonic about their symptoms, and I doubt they're necessarily misdiagnosed either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-17-16), midnightstar (07-17-16), namazu (07-17-16)
Old 07-17-16, 07:08 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 21,942 Times in 12,952 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

What's the difference between axis 1 and axis 2? I'm confused Fortune
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-17-16)
Old 07-17-16, 07:09 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 21,942 Times in 12,952 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

And the "professionals" are all a load of boring clueless farts.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-16, 07:15 PM
I eat shades of red.

Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

axis 1 is most of the mental illnesses plus lots of the neurodevelopmental disorders. Axis 2 is personality disorders. That's it, basically.
aeon (07-17-16), midnightstar (07-17-16), namazu (07-17-16)
Old 07-17-16, 07:27 PM
I eat shades of red.

Also, personality disorders were moved to axis 1 in the DSM-5, for the US at least.
aeon (07-17-16), midnightstar (07-18-16), namazu (07-17-16)
Old 02-03-18, 11:50 AM

MaxDemain is on a distinguished road

@Cyllya

Forgive my spelling. Even the computer can't help me sometimes and trying to be perfect imobilizes me.

I also wonder the % "with primarily inattentive ADHD meet the requirements for a co-morbid OCPD".

I learned I was ADD at age 28 in college. It was another student that helped me connect the dots. It wasn't the professionals. Later professionals confirmed the diagnostics. It was undetected because I am not hyper. I just loose my train of thought.

It 1st grade they diagnosed me with dyslexia. So I was in the system and in front of the professionals from the beginning. Lots of phycological testing throughout school. 20 years later another student picks up on the fact that I am ADD. Suddenly with a little retilin my grades go from D's to A's.

One pill and just for the "test" my grade goes from F to A.

Twenty more years go by and young neurologist tells me I have OCPD. The medical community only starting to figure this stuff out now.

When I explain OCPD symtoms to my friends (mostly nero diverse) they say there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with though symtoms they all seem pritty helpful.

So OCPD is very under diagnosed I suspect like you there is a higher than expected correlation between ADD(I know the DSM dropped ADD and uses ADHD, but they are different to me ) and OCPD.

Relating to "..inflexible adherence to rules and especially list-making are related to executive dysfunction..."

It might be how it starts. I also noticed people like Einstien and Steve Jobs (OCPD) both wore the same simple dark colored cloths everyday so they didn't waste time thinking about matching colors.Their clostest were full of clothes that were indistiguishable. I found it helped me to get out the door faster and on to things that I wanted to work on. I really like being productive.

Then I noticed that having a list and looking at it once or twice a day helped me focus on what was important. It would help me prioritize or reprioritize. (Great book: Getting Things Done).

I think it comes down to higher effientcy and productivity and gives repeatable results.

I think it was in "Driven to Distration" a book about ADD that I pickup up that we have adictive personalities. Its not joing to change so just pick your addictions. Like choose exercise or meditation as hobbies so you don't get sucked into less healthy alternatives.

Think about farming 50-10000 years ago. Make a list of things to do. Execute that list to the letter. Wait 6 moths to see the results. Make adjustment after 6 months and repete.

You have to be rigid in your execution and repetitive in your behaviour.

Problem comes in when your significant other doesn't understand why you have to have plates washed in a specific way, and placed in a specific location in the cabnet.

The trick with OCPD is to try to figure out when being perfect doesn't matter.

Its not easy to figure out when your OCPD. Everything matters.

@Midnightstar

Try to find a hot shot young neurologist. The next generation doctors are learning the new stuff. The old ones don't know anything about how our minds work.

Meditation is the one of the best medications and its free after you get the hang of it.

Max
The Following User Says Thank You to MaxDemain For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (02-03-18)
Old 02-03-18, 07:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,202 Times in 5,470 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Yes personality disorders are real and difficult to treat. What the are is still widely misunderstood. Biology? Psychology? Both?

One thing for certain they are far more common in adhd and maybe aspergers?

My current therapist is not well versed in avoidant personality and that makes me nervous. But she is studying and consulting others
aeon (02-03-18), Little Missy (02-03-18)