ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-18, 09:49 PM

clarysage is on a distinguished road
newbie with questions about methylphenidate

Although I've known for 30+ years that I'm ADD, I recently brought this up with my therapist, who advised me to ask my PCP for a prescription for methylphenidate. The PCP asked me a series of questions to confirm, for her, that it was legit, and then gave me a prescription for 5 mg to be taken once a day; she said that it might not be enough, and that I might need a higher dose, and told me to call her in two weeks.

Two days of 5 mg produced only mild and vague improvement, and I wondered if it could just be the placebo effect. I tried 10 mg for two days -- that seemed somewhat better, but I was expecting something more dramatic, I guess. Called the PCP's office, left a message relating that, and asked for a callback so I could ask her some questions. Instead she called in a new prescription for 20 mg (again, to be taken once a day), and did not call me back. My therapist is away on vacation for 3 weeks, so I couldn't call her for advice.

I tried taking 15 mg the next day, and felt weird ... as if there was, for lack of a better description, electricity buzzing in my head, and a feeling of pressure -- not severe, but still, it didn't feel comfortable. I don't think I want to try the 20 mg.

Now for the last two days I'm back to taking 10 mg, and I'm taking it twice a day, first thing in the morning and again around mid-day; I feel happier, more relaxed at work, more able to focus when interacting with other people, more mindful of what I'm doing ... but it's not at all the "lightbulb suddenly coming on" or "fog clearing out" that I've read other people experience when they hit the "right" dose.

So I realize my PCP isn't the ideal person to help me with this. I don't know if there's any practitioner in my neck of the woods who's more experienced/skillful, but I'm turning to the group mind here with some questions:
1) Was going from 5 mg to 10 mg to 15 mg in one week too quick an increase? Should I stay at 10 for awhile and then try 15 again?
2) Do most people have an "aha!" experience when they find the "right" dose, or can it be less dramatic?
3) If I am taking one dose early in the day, and another at midday, is it safe to have a beer or glass of wine in the evening? Am I correct in thinking the drug has made its way through my system by then? Should I avoid any alcohol during the several hours after taking a dose?

Thanking you all in advance for any advice and/or sharing of your experience!