ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 03-09-18, 10:11 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of
ADHD or Aspergers?

I have a friend whose son is diagnosed ADHD. He's 12 and has meltdowns where he tries to hit his parents, shakes his head like he' trying to make their voices go away, hides in closets...etc. Give him an hour and it's like nothing ever happened. If anything he regresses in his age, acts for likes 4 asking his mom for a glass of milk in a baby voice. This isn't like any ADHD I have seen, something else, either in addition to or instead of, ADHD has to be going on.

The symptoms of ADHD and Asperger's tend to overlap in a lot of spots. How do you know the difference?
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (03-12-18)
Old 03-09-18, 11:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,307 Times in 5,520 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD or Aspergers?

ADHD is a heterogeneous disorder and its unlikely that anyone has seen every possible presentation

ADHD is now looked at as a disorder of emotional regulation, what you described could very well be a severe case of a child with dysregulated emotion

aspergers is no longer considered a diagnosis , there is just autism or PDD-nos

many children, especially with certain genetic phenotypes will display a mixture of ADHD and autistic traits, its not really a one or the other thing

really only a professional can go through and attempt to tease out differences in these closely related disorders
aeon (03-09-18), psychopathetic (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 07:36 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
ADHD is a heterogeneous disorder and its unlikely that anyone has seen every possible presentation

ADHD is now looked at as a disorder of emotional regulation, what you described could very well be a severe case of a child with dysregulated emotion

aspergers is no longer considered a diagnosis , there is just autism or PDD-nos

many children, especially with certain genetic phenotypes will display a mixture of ADHD and autistic traits, its not really a one or the other thing

really only a professional can go through and attempt to tease out differences in these closely related disorders
Do ADHD meds help Aspergers? The problem my friend is having is that her son is VERY smart, like gifted smart, but he won't hand in his work, he won't do the class work, he needs an IEP. They have told her that because he tests so high he isn't eligible for an IEP for ADHD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-14-18), psychopathetic (03-12-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-18, 10:37 PM

Thanked 11,307 Times in 5,520 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Do ADHD meds help Aspergers? The problem my friend is having is that her son is VERY smart, like gifted smart, but he won't hand in his work, he won't do the class work, he needs an IEP. They have told her that because he tests so high he isn't eligible for an IEP for ADHD.
gotta try
Old 03-16-18, 03:28 AM

maple17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Co-morbid is not unusual at all. I'm on so many adult and kid forums elsewhere and the question, "Could I/he/she have both?" comes up all the time.

Your friend needs a skilled professional to differentiate between the two.

My daughter has ADHD and is autistic (ASD1). She was diagnosed with ADHD first, but at the time the developmental paediatrician said that she suspected ASD too as ADHD could not account for all of her behaviour and traits. Sure enough, about 10 months after the ADHD diagnosis, we got the autism one as well.

With the medication, her ADHD symptoms are mitigated and we can really see the ASD traits. It did help her to focus though and we saw a huge positive change in EF, organisation, and emotional regulation. Her anxiety reduced. But the ASD social skills issues, need for routine, aversion to change, are unaffected by ADHD medication.
The Following User Says Thank You to maple17 For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-16-18)
Old 03-16-18, 09:57 AM

Thanked 26,086 Times in 12,173 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not necessarily true, although the school would like for your friend to believe it is.
A 504 Plan may be all that's needed, although an IEP might be more helpful.

Suggest that she google "wrightslaw" and "failing or passing grades".

Or "IDEA regulation 300.101".

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-23-18), namazu (03-16-18)
Old 04-19-18, 01:15 AM

ryanolivas is on a distinguished road

I think it's ADHD but I also think he has other mental issue because as far as I know about ADHD is that, someone diagnosed with it unable to communicate or socialize and does weird things.
Old 04-19-18, 12:13 PM

Thanked 26,086 Times in 12,173 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanolivas View Post
I think it's ADHD but I also think he has other mental issue because as far as I know about ADHD is that, someone diagnosed with it unable to communicate or socialize and does weird things.
Say what?

Disorders like adhd can make it more difficult for us to communicate and to
socialize, but they do not make us "unable" to do those things at all.

None of the symptoms of adhd are "weird", they are the same things that
everyone does, but they happen more often and thus impair our daily life.*

*things like loosing keys or phones, forgetting to check the mailbox or to pay
a bill on time, interrupting someone ...

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-19-18, 12:16 PM

oldtimer will become famous soon enough

I will suggest something real wacky...
Find an online evaluation for ADD like Amen. If the patient scores more than 50% on a type, treat for that type and see what happens...

If it is dual issues you will knock out the ADD symptoms and the other symptoms should stand out making it easier to diagnose.
Old 04-23-18, 12:56 AM

natnatroswell22 is on a distinguished road

Whatever that is, it would be better to consult it to a psychiatrist. Surely, the kid is suffering more than those mention above. I hope he'll be better soon.