ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-18, 12:31 PM

Kajiwolf is on a distinguished road
I am seeking treatment again..

Hey I've been diagnosed with ADHD since I was a child.

Que in story about the normal struggles through life. I stepped off the wagon of treatment because I thought if I followed a healthy diet and got rid of all the sugars and stumulants in my life that I would do better. I lost a lot of weight, I exercise everyday. Now for some reason my ADHD symptoms are even worse than before.

I hit a wall yesterday. I accidentally put fuel in the hydraulics tank of my truck. It wasn't even that that really bothered me, it was the fact that my boss pointed out that I had filled the same tank with the right fuel earlier that morning. I have no recollection of even doing that.

She kept asking me how I could possibly forget ,and all I could do was stand there red faced and stuttering. I had also forgotten my lunch that morning and I left my truck doors wide open still running when I ran inside to get something and talk to my managers.

It's probably all in my head, but I'm pretty sure I'm the laughingstock of the yard and probably not in a good like with my bosses.

So I'm finally going back to my psychiatrist and seeing if I could start medication again. I just can't believe how awful it feels when you have people staring at you wondering what the h*** is wrong with you because you can't remember things you've only done a few hours ago. Maybe even only a few mere minutes ago. Anyway I just wanted to share, cause I'm feeling pretty down about it. My anxiety is through roof. What if I make another badness take again, and what if my job is affected?

Being a female driver is hard enough...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kajiwolf For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-09-18), namazu (03-09-18)
Old 03-09-18, 02:25 PM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road
Re: I am seeking treatment again..

I wanted to share with you that you are not alone. Having a moment like that at work is a horrible feeling. I am an industrial appraiser and many of my projects are in the 8 digits. I had documentation, photos, and notes about the visit including conversations with the client. I had receipts of the hotel, car rental and fuel. I had absolutely no recollection of ever being there.

I understand the concerns you have with your employer. Nobody is perfect. Mistakes happen. Most likely the boss has bigger issues to deal with. Take a breath, you are taking the right course of action by recognizing what you need to do. Remember to breath, you have a game plan, you got this! You're not alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Budkeiser For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-09-18), Kaia.S (03-10-18)
Old 03-10-18, 05:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of

Not to make excuses, but sometimes even non-add type people make mistakes. Still, I have been in similar situations many times, and probably most of us here know what this is like. No magic to offer, but mistakes offer me a chance to learn something or go back to a lesson I forgot. And usually it was something simple, I got up too late, forgot to go to the bathroom, misplaced something, was running late, didn't give enough time to get ready, felt that I was running out of time or felt I had to be in a rush, had some altercation with someone (myself?) etc. and then 2 things, 1/ I am not paying attention to where I am /what I am doing, in the sense not really in the present tense, and 2 / there is some emotional reaction I don't connect to in a conscious sense. My add self separates stuff that is really connected somehow. Finally, all this material, lessons on life, should help me (in the sense I want it to help me) develop better proceedures, life hygiene, habits -whatever you want to call them. So when I am dealing with important things (not that I can really deal w. important things), but in certain settings, yes, to take the 5 or 10 seconds to stop and do "nothing", before I hit the enter key, before I act on some internal clock that is not always synchronous with what is. And then I keep practicing this every f.ng day.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-18, 11:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,232 Times in 14,333 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a good idea. The myth that we grow out of adhd or need meds less causes harm.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-13-18, 07:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,194 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Your symptoms may have gotten worse because you've taken on more responsibility.

One way I view my ADHD is ...

Coping skills/organization skills ... compared to ... organization demands.

The demands seem to go up in adulthood. Once you have children the demands increase like 5 times ... But even a relationship can increase demands on our brains ... there's a lot of energy required to be in a serious relationship.

Slight changes in job responsibilities can also increase the demands on your cognitive skills.

Sometimes I will see that my functioning skills have increased ... but I've taken on greater responsibilities ... and so for a while it feels as if I'm back to square one ... But I'm not. I do a lot more than I used to do ...