ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-18, 08:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,902 Times in 13,806 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Is there anyone else who can't accept their diagnosis?

I suspect that many people doubt their diagnosis and I wonder what we (doubters) have in common and how common it is have such a tough time in believing in your diagnosis. To be honest I'm pretty convinced that I don't have ADHD but I can't figure out why the ADHD label seems to fit my particular issues so well. I mean if it looks, walks and quacks like a duck but it's not a duck what else could it be?

My favourite theory of course is that I'm just crazy, lazy and stupid. Mainly lazy and stupid. That would explain a lot!!

My other theory is that the years of severe depression have caused permanent damage, which is showingn up as ADHD like symptoms. But then that doesn't explain the symptoms I had before the depression kicked in. So maybe I had mild ADHD that was dramatically exacerbated by the depression.

My third theory is that I'm perfectly normal but just expect too much from me or compare myself to too well functioning people. Maybe it's normal to not be able to focus, or to follow a conversation or my own train of thoughts or to have such severe emotional dysregulation (or maybe that's something completely else).

Funnily enough I have two issues:

1. I can't believe that I have ADHD

2. I can't believe how badly I function in every day life

If I had ADHD it would explain the poor functioning but somehow that doesn't convince me either.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-13-18), daveddd (03-14-18), finallyfound10 (03-22-18), kwalk (03-16-18), Little Missy (03-13-18), peripatetic (03-22-18)
Old 03-13-18, 08:28 PM

Thanked 21,257 Times in 11,388 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is there anyone else who can't accept their diagnosis?

Honestly, how did I manage to keep up the act for so long and get away with the leftover whipped up messes?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-13-18), daveddd (03-14-18), finallyfound10 (03-22-18), Fuzzy12 (03-13-18), kwalk (03-16-18)
Old 03-13-18, 09:58 PM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice

I'm back and forth on the issue. Some days I think there's no way I have it. Other days, I'm convinced that I must.

You say I'm weird? Well, I grew up next to a power
plant, what's your excuse?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eats_mice For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-13-18), daveddd (03-14-18), finallyfound10 (03-22-18), Fuzzy12 (03-14-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 10:06 PM

Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,996 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I think it's different for everyone but I think most doubters have self-esteem issues.

I guess I'm not one who can't accept my diagnose - I actually embrace it and like it. So I'm probably not the best to speak on this. But I don't have too low a self-esteem (boy, I guess I may sound arrogant when I say that but I'm not arrogant either) and I do embrace it so maybe that's still a little support for my theory.

Another thing is I think some people have comorbids as well so they get confused on what they have since symptoms really do overlap.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-13-18), daveddd (03-14-18), finallyfound10 (03-22-18), Fuzzy12 (03-14-18)
Old 03-13-18, 11:03 PM

Thanked 25,728 Times in 12,006 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I think it's different for everyone but I think most doubters have self-esteem issues.

I guess I'm not one who can't accept my diagnose - I actually embrace it and like it. So I'm probably not the best to speak on this. But I don't have too low a self-esteem (boy, I guess I may sound arrogant when I say that but I'm not arrogant either) and I do embrace it so maybe that's still a little support for my theory.

Another thing is I think some people have comorbids as well so they get confused on what they have since symptoms really do overlap.
This. ^

When I started learning about ADHD I thought I had found The Answer.
And I had. But only part of the answer.

I already knew about the depression part. I didn't know that there was a name
for some of the overwhelming feelings . . . anxiety.

And it turns out there's some overlap between the symptoms of ADHD and PTSD.

But even with all that . . . there was still a piece of the puzzle missing I thought.
Yeah, ironic that the symbol for Autism is a puzzle piece.

I don't know if that's the last piece of my own puzzle, but it's part of the picture
the pieces come together to make.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-13-18), daveddd (03-14-18), DeClutter (03-14-18), Fuzzy12 (03-14-18)
Old 03-14-18, 05:55 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,982 Times in 14,787 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Fuzzy- you've been to the doctors for this right? Then has a doctor diagnosed you with adhd? So then what makes you smarter than the guy who diagnosed you? What benefits are there to a doctor fake diagnosing you? I cant see any and I think you are allowing this question to take up too much head space. Who cares at this point? You have taken meds before. You are very supportive of others who take meds. You know the benefits of meds. You know you need to go back on them (which is why you made that appointment or got that referral recently). Why torture yourself at this point? What good does it do? Will it change the way the symptoms feel to you? Will it make you any less depressed or less "crazy and lazty"?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-14-18), Fuzzy12 (03-14-18), Kaia.S (03-14-18), riteshmisra (04-22-18), stef (03-14-18)
Old 03-14-18, 07:22 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post

I'm sure self esteem makes a big difference (and I don't think you are arrogant at all for saying that you've got healthy self esteem. It's like me saying I've got normal blood pressure. Though I think it's also a sign of s good self esteem to be able to say that). If my self esteem wasn't so low I probably wouldn't be so convinced that I am just lazy or have some other character flaw.

Com
Old 03-14-18, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
This. ^

When I started learning about ADHD I thought I had found The Answer.
And I had. But only part of the answer.

I already knew about the depression part. I didn't know that there was a name
for some of the overwhelming feelings . . . anxiety.

And it turns out there's some overlap between the symptoms of ADHD and PTSD.

But even with all that . . . there was still a piece of the puzzle missing I thought.
Yeah, ironic that the symbol for Autism is a puzzle piece.

I don't know if that's the last piece of my own puzzle, but it's part of the picture
the pieces come together to make.
Comorbids do muddle up tbe picture though I guess apart from depression and maybe anxiety is struggle to accept any mental health diagnosis..maybe because depression and anxiety are obvious and self-evident. I feel anxious..so I've got anxiety. It's more complex with other disorders. Mostly I wonder about the odds. What are the odds of me having ADHD. And I know they aren't that small and even smaller odds wouldn't rule out me having it but it just makes me it more difficult to believe.

Like it's easy to believe I have a cold when my nose starts running but it's much more difficult to jump to the conclusion that I'm allergic to something rare I. The environment. By Occam's razor ADHD just doesn't seem like the simplest explanation even though it's the explanation that explains the most.
Old 03-14-18, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Fuzzy- you've been to the doctors for this right? Then has a doctor diagnosed you with adhd? So then what makes you smarter than the guy who diagnosed you? What benefits are there to a doctor fake diagnosing you? I cant see any and I think you are allowing this question to take up too much head space. Who cares at this point? You have taken meds before. You are very supportive of others who take meds. You know the benefits of meds. You know you need to go back on them (which is why you made that appointment or got that referral recently). Why torture yourself at this point? What good does it do? Will it change the way the symptoms feel to you? Will it make you any less depressed or less "crazy and lazty"?
That's what it all boils down to isn't it. Maybe it doesn't matter. It shouldn't matter. I've been diagnosed twice and the meds have en helped I the past so maybe I should just accept that. I just feel like a fraud you know.

For the past few months I tried to prove to myself that I could work and function like a normal person "if I really tried"and I totally failed. Maybe that should tell me something.

Anyway I've got the prescription. I'm going now to pick up the meds. I'll probably start taking them tomorrow.

ADHD or not...you are right. Continuing to live like this because of some imagined philosophical dilemma wont do anyone any good. No one at all.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-14-18), finallyfound10 (03-22-18), Kaia.S (03-14-18), Lunacie (03-14-18)
Old 03-14-18, 10:32 AM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t just accept it, I embrace it.

Knowing the how and why has made so many things make sense which I could make no sense of before.

And meds have absolutely changed my life for the better.

Getting a diagnosis...wow, I can’t imagine where I would be without it.

OK, actually I can...I don’t mean to be morbid, but I’d probably be six feet under.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-14-18), finallyfound10 (03-22-18), Fuzzy12 (03-14-18), Greyhound1 (03-14-18), Little Missy (03-15-18)
Old 03-14-18, 07:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

There must be a smart latin name for this kind of illusion.

I have sleep issues, and whenever I pull 2 weeks with healthy sleep pattern I start to wonder: Hey, I am actually OK, it's just a matter of good hygiene/sport/mood, I am great in fact.

And then aunt Reality comes over.
Old 03-14-18, 10:34 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

honestly yea, i doubt my adhd diagnosis

only because of the non severity? of the disorder in certain perspectives

buts its a confusing disorder that desperately needs delineated with it's new definitions

its no longer about losing our keys, its much,much,much more than that
Fuzzy12 (03-15-18), kwalk (03-16-18), Little Missy (03-15-18), stef (03-15-18)
Old 03-14-18, 10:39 PM

Thanked 25,728 Times in 12,006 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
honestly yea, i doubt my adhd diagnosis

only because of the non severity? of the disorder in certain perspectives

buts its a confusing disorder that desperately needs delineated with it's new definitions

its no longer about losing our keys, its much,much,much more than that
For me losing my keys falls in the same category with forgetting to take my meds.

Since one of them is for high blood pressure, that can be really serious.

It's also about the impulsivity of pulling out in front of traffic when I've been
waiting for an opening for what feels like forever, especially if another car is
behind me.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (03-14-18), Fuzzy12 (03-15-18), stef (03-15-18)
Old 03-14-18, 10:41 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
For me losing my keys falls in the same category with forgetting to take my meds.

Since one of them is for high blood pressure, that can be really serious.

It's also about the impulsivity of pulling out in front of traffic when I've been
waiting for an opening for what feels like forever, especially if another car is
behind me.
ok. i just tried to ignore the downplay of the disorder

not that those symptoms are unimportant, but just the tip of the ice berg

ok?
Fuzzy12 (03-15-18), Little Missy (03-15-18), stef (03-15-18)
Old 03-14-18, 11:43 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,861 Times in 7,154 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
I don’t just accept it, I embrace it.

Knowing the how and why has made so many things make sense which I could make no sense of before.

And meds have absolutely changed my life for the better.

Getting a diagnosis...wow, I can’t imagine where I would be without it.

OK, actually I can...I don’t mean to be morbid, but I’d probably be six feet under.

Cheers,
Ian
My feelings exactly!

I chased my tail around for so many years before diagnosis, I became convinced it was much worse like I had lost my mind or had a brain tumor or something. Especially, when my comorbid coping skills came crashing down out of no where. Panic attacks, anxiety, rumination, chronic fatigue and OCD became my life. Conventional treatments didn’t work at all, over a 10 year period. Life just continued to get worse.

Life became so much better after diagnosis and treatment. It convinced me, I have ADHD and a wonderful family Dr. for picking up on it.

Like aeon, I embrace my ADHD and why I hang out here so much. Learning and sharing experiences has greatly helped me understand myself. I embrace it because it finally makes sense of my life and answers so many questions about growing up different.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-15-18), Fuzzy12 (03-15-18), Kaia.S (03-15-18), Little Missy (03-15-18), Lunacie (03-15-18), stef (03-15-18)