ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 09-07-04, 01:32 PM

Kelly is on a distinguished road
Question ADHD - Browsing the Forums at work?

Anyone else browsing the forums at work? (At lunch, of COURSE )
Old 09-07-04, 01:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
I'm a housewife, so I guess technically I am browsing from work
jengen (05-03-12)
Old 09-07-04, 03:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Alexa is on a distinguished road
Since I discovered this site and realized I could access it at work (some are blocked or timed) It actually gives me strength to help me make it through the day. Even though there may not be any of 'my kind' here at work I know I have kindred spirits out there at the touch of a keyboard button Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-04, 02:25 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
Kelly I have done so on occasionally, but my company has very strict guidelines on such things. We are able to browse at lunch, but the IT department is capable of seeing what we do. I consider my postings in forms to be private and possibly sensitive in nature, especially if I post about work. So I try to prevent from postings. I am the type of person who hates to get into trouble.
jengen (05-03-12)
Old 10-09-04, 09:08 PM

Eaglehawk is on a distinguished road
I sometimes find myself browsing quite a bit. Being a department manager I find myself having some idle time a few times a day, once i've put out fires from the night before, and then get things setup of the next night, and stuff through out the day. I find its easier to browse at work, then it is at home, I work long hours and don't find myself with alot of home time, and when I am at home, i gnenerally find myself playing with the baby, or watching shows like CSI, or something else. Sometimes reading.
http://eaglehawkonline.com/blog/
The Following User Says Thank You to Eaglehawk For This Useful Post:
jengen (05-03-12)
Old 10-10-04, 02:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
i read ALLLLL DAY online.
i'm an inside sales agent at a national call center. do you think that i could sit at my cubicle in my tin can of an office and not cruise the net like my brain is on speed? absolutely not. as a matter of fact: if my bosses decided to get rid of our external internet access i would flat out quit. i've told my husband this and i think he thinks i'm 'overreacting' but what the hell am i supposed to do?
do you know what i have to do? talk to ppl all day on the phone who are rude, inconsiderate, egotistical (it is actually ironic b/c i know the rest of the world views us so often as exactly that..rude and selfcentered but you'd be suprised how many 'regular' ppl are precisely that)
i feel like a mac g4 being used as a calculator for a checkbook.
its a total waste of my brain.
if i couldn't read articles i would run out of there. b/c my job is a call center i work in what is literally a locked suite. so there is NO outside contact other than that...and i worked in restaurants for almost 8 yrs before this job- i hated it at the time, but in reality i loved how i could move all the time, it extinguished my need to pace and move all the time and i could also maintain running conversations with the staff by wandering around different parts of our space and keeping a dialogue up which is what i love. i can hold mutiple conversations via im...and be on the phone and be just fine.
if i don't multitask then i'll find myself answering my clients: "HUH?" so i have to occupy my hands or my brain etc.
as far as secrecy and whatnot about my posts etc. i don't care. my it department is in nyc and i'm in houston. also both of my bosses rely on me heavily.
and i make sure (obviously) that i don't visit sites that might be questionable. but actually, there aren't any that i would want to see anyway! LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to f_wcomboadhd For This Useful Post:
jengen (05-03-12)
Old 10-10-04, 11:57 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
That's largely what got me fired from my last job. Not this forum but another more idle chat group. At least it was a real solid reason for firing, if not the only reason it was concrete and obviously misbehaving.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulbf For This Useful Post:
jengen (05-03-12)
Old 10-10-04, 10:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
i will not be fired for online diversions b/c i still do my job. there are times when i surely get sucked into reading etc.
but i'm always paranoid about my stats and my performance so i make sure i follow up..which is hard of course!
i just can't sit there though. so many days i sit there and look out the 11th floor window and see the clouds pass by..i just want to break out of jail!
i want to be outside. we just moved desks around at work and i now sit in the corner instead of my former desk which was at a main thoroughfare..
i specifically asked to be away from ppl as much as possible. i wish i had a neighbor but i know that i would be conversing so much it would be hard for me to do work.
The Following User Says Thank You to f_wcomboadhd For This Useful Post:
jengen (05-03-12)
Old 10-10-04, 10:31 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Understood. My job did not include slack time waiting for the phone & I wasn't doing my job. It was a legitimate firing for that reason alone. All part of my recently profound procrasitination problems. I've just gotten sick of life not worth living and insisted on only those things that have real reward. I haven't worried much about consequences, it's become urgent. THe problem is, that's not exactly solving the problem yet, it's just a reaction. The answer awaits though.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulbf For This Useful Post:
jengen (05-03-12)
Old 10-11-04, 02:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Ohhhhhhhhh, Andrei used to D/L from his last job MB's and MB's of burnt disks
Old 10-12-04, 12:59 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Keppig has disabled reputation
I always do
Old 10-17-04, 12:23 AM
Contributor

Chicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really nice
I'm with f_wcomboadhd - I'd quit if they took away our external internet access. It was down for about half an hour one day and after it finally came back up, along with email, two co-workers and I just looked at each other and said "That was a very scary half hour!"

"Life is more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt than a surprise party." (Mozzie, White Collar) (I wish I could remember why I thought this quote was so profound and related to ADHD )