ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 09-11-04, 11:43 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
Smile My First College Presentation (ADHD and TS)

A short story (but long since I am OCD)

I am so proud of myself and thanks smooch for your help.

I am taking a Psychology class and the first day of class, learned that we had to do a presentation. I was like oh no..........I can't get up in front of a class and talk. I have never taken a speech class and was also conscious of how I spoke because as a child I spoke through my nose for years. The instructor said that he pretty much looses half the class once he announces this. Well, he past out a list of acceptable presentation topics and I scanned the list and looked for 3 things. Tourettes, OCD, and ADHD. Well there was Tourettes Syndrome and I thought to myself "YES, no dropping this class for me". Well, he said that the presentations start next Monday and he wanted to know who would be brave enough to start do the first presentation. Being the impulsive person that I am and comfortable with the topic, up goes my hand.

I did the presentation on TS and it was suppose to be for 10-15 minutes long but mine lasted about 45 minutes. LOL.......OCD.........plus he said to be creative, so creative I was........

I did class partcipation and had them placed in a situation where it was bascially like put yourself in my shoes. I had them become TS, OCD and ADHD students. I did a reading which they had to write and as I did the reading I had them do things releated to OCD, TS, and ADHD. Such things as erasing, rewriting, constantly tapping their foot, shoulder shrugging, etc. I even picked a topic sexually related. And of course, the instructor got to participate.

When I was done I asked if anyone knew what this was about and they said no. I then asked as anyone heard of OCD and they nodded. And then I asked if anyone has heard of ADHD and they nodded. I then asked and said not to embarass anyone if anyone had been diagnosed on ADHD and two guys raised their hand (who were sitting in the back of the class which I thought rather funny) and found out one was still on medication. Then I asked if anyone has heard of Tourettes Syndrome and the class nodded. I asked the class to tell me what they thought TS was and got a few decent definitions and was pleased that no one said it was a "Cussing disease". I then asked if they had ever met someone with TS and they said no. And I said, well you have now because I have TS.

I basically went over the diagnositic criteria, history, examples of simple complex, vocal and motor tics, myths, famous people who have tics, and what can set a tic off and good things about having TS. I also told them that I will probably start ticking during this because of the power of suggestion can make me tic. They also got a list of my tics and yes, I started ticking and even did my dystonic tics which I basically go into a posture for about a minute. I even told them about my obsessive compulsive tic of nose picking. Yes, it was hard to tell them, but I wanted them to have a full picture of TS

I had a questionnairefor them to fill out at the end of the class, which I opted not to read their answers later, but had it turned into the instructor as part of my project. I gave them a list of TS links, my personal website, a few adhd links and a link to forums. I also included the full length version of what I was having them write out which I will not mention here due to the content.

I was very pleased at the interest that the class had on the topic and the fact that they asked questions.

During the presentation I noticed a guy constantly blinking that sat behind me. And later during the lecture I was noticing some unusual nosies and thought hmmmmmmmm.....okay I am not going to diagnose this guy. When we left class for the evening, he patted me on the shoulder, and I thought awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

But this one lady who sat next to me told that it was "very brave of me to get up there and do that". I told her no, it is not about being brave, it is about people being ignorant on the subject of TS and this is why I do what I do.

Well, I did have an ADHD moment. I had told the class not to turn their paper over that I was having them write on because it has the questions on the other side and I did not want to give away the topic. I told them if they did they would have to suffer the consequences which would have been time out. Well, a girl walked in late..........ohhhh I hate myself..........she got put into time out for being late and was totally clueless. I was so focused on what I was doing and many of you know being ADHD sometimes we are not aware of what another person may be going through or experiencing. Well, at the time, she told me she had an emergency..........I was basically "I don't care" I realized what I did later and had to apologize which she was mad at first until I later explained and realized my blunder. Well she followed me out of class and would not shut up. She was told she may be ADHD and OCD as well.

Anyway, other than my blunder, and my presentation being to long, I have to pat myself on the back..........

I don't know what my grade is and I hope I was not counted off for going to long............

But standing up in front of a group of people and doing a presentation and never having a speech class proved to be okay. And the reason I say this is becuase I was in total control of the topic and of what was going on. If the instructor would have given me a topic and said this is what you have to do your presentation on, I don't think it would have gone as well, because I lost the sense of being in control.

But it did prove to be fun and enjoyable........now only if I can pass and do well on the exams..........
Old 09-11-04, 04:28 PM
Contributor

gingagirl will become famous soon enough
WOW! Congrats!!! It sounds like you did an awesome job! I did a presentation once where I went over the time limit. I was counted off for it, but not too badly --the prof actually said she hadn't noticed I went over time because it was such an interesting presentation (yes, a topic of my choice).

Congrats again. I'm sure you'll do fine on the tests too!

"They call me lazy, but it takes all my time..." -- Joe Walsh
"The absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence." -- unknown
Old 09-11-04, 05:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

clawless has disabled reputation
Congratulations and well done. The first presentation is always the hardest but it sounds like you did it really well

The best inheritance a person can give to his children is a few minutes of his time each day -- O. A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-04, 05:15 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanks guys.....I just hope I can do that well on my tests.
Old 09-15-04, 06:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

clawless has disabled reputation
I'm sure you will, all your hard work will pay off

The best inheritance a person can give to his children is a few minutes of his time each day -- O. A. Battista
Old 10-03-04, 03:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Well, I had to drop the class. I have been sick for over a month and out of 4 class days I missed 2 including a test. I loved the subject and even the material that the book covered. The teacher also talked way to fast so my brain could not absorb what he was going over. It could only absorb the stories or things I was interested in.

We had to reach each chapter and outline each chapter and being OCD, my perfection came into play. I started doing the outline in Word and had the hardest time setting up the outline. So instead of reading and doing the outline, I was busy trying to get word working right for me. Then I became focused on making sure everything had the perfect space, indentions, etc.

There is always next semster.