ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-29-14, 09:12 AM

mariannelucia is on a distinguished road
Please do not hate the NEWBIE with tons of questions!!

Hi All!

As I watched our daughter struggle these past few years in school ( she is 9) we finally had her tested for ADD. I was against this but only because this once ignorant mother only thought that ADD was for the hyperactive. I had no idea!!! She is currently at 15mg of Adderall XR titrating to 20mg. She is doing amazing. ( the appetite , or lack there of is the only downside but we are working on that)

In paying such close attention to her, and speaking with doctors and doing TONS of on line research, I was diagnosed right along with her....YIKES! And here I was thinking ( THANKS MOM!!) that if I had only paid attention, if I only tried harder, if I only worked harder, if I only made more effort and if I paid LESS ATTENTION TO THE BOYS, I would have done better in school. Therefore not living such a mediocre life. So sad...But any how, I went with the support of my husband and 9 year old, lol, to a psychiatrist and low and behold was diagnosed in 1.5 hours with adult ADD.

This is where all my questions come in.

I was told to "find my dose". He gave me an rx of Adderall IR 5mg #60... and an appointment for 2 weeks for a follow up. I am afraid to go over board. I do not want to be all "jacked up". But I want the focus and drive, if you will. The loss of appetite is great...do a degree. I run 3.5miles x 5 days a week. I CAN NOT DO THAT STARVING! lol ( found that out the other day...yuck!) I do not want to go over board or take too much period. I mean, you will build a tolerance right??? That cant be good....you can not keep going up and up right? Maybe some of you have some good advice on some healthy and effective dosing that works for you? I know we are all different...but I could use some guidelines maybe? Oh, and the energy is great huh? I do not feel like a speed demon, but I have some pretty good energy....how long does that last? And I do not mean through out the day....I mean in the weeks/months of taking Adderall. Will it wear off? I am consequently sleeping fine. I am not having trouble with that at all. I have had a few head aches, but nothing huge. Dry mouth?? NOT A FAN...

I bet you all think I am a dope. LOL I never thought that in a million years I would have a DX for my "lazy ambitionless" self....let alone a possible "fix".

Should I take weekend holidays? Should my daughter ? Any tips on getting her to have more of a desire to eat? ( she is a swimmer and needs to eat for sure....and side note, just got a palate expander placed in her mouth and makes chewing hard b/c it hurts....awesome timing huh?)

So if you have any advice to this Mom/patient, I would be so grateful. Really.

Thank for taking the time to read this BOOK!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to mariannelucia For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (05-29-14)
Old 05-29-14, 10:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,403 Times in 11,804 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Please do not hate the NEWBIE with tons of questions!!

Welcome to the forum.

I was a grandmother of a child suspected of having ADHD before I realized that I have it too.
Like you, I thought it was only hyperactive little boys.

The best advice for starting stimulant meds is "Start low and go slow."
Start with 5 mg 2xday for 3 to 7 days, depending on what side effects you get.

If things go well, increase to 10 mg 2xday for the next 3 to 7 days.
By going slowly at a low dose, you'll decrease any unhappy side effects and adjust better.

Take the meds at the same time every day until you see how they work for you.
After a couple of months you can try skipping the weekends. If you do that right away
it will be harder to tell what's going on.

You and your daughter can take your meds in the morning and eat a good breakfast.
Then try to include something with protein as lunch, even just a snack.
By dinnertime the meds should be wearing off and the appetite returns. Viola!

There is some really great info in the articles in Dizfriz's Corner: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130

And check out the other stickied threads there in the parenting section.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (05-29-14), mariannelucia (05-29-14), psychopathetic (05-29-14)
Old 05-29-14, 11:49 AM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariannelucia View Post
!!
With the stimulants the effectiveness is related more to body chemistry and not weight as is the case with most medications.

Having said that, most start with a small dose and titrate up. As Lunacie said "Start low and go slow."

Probably the best thing you can do for yourself and your child is to learn as much as you can about ADHD.

Here is a good starting place http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130

Read the essays, they are short and intended to give some insight into the disorder.

I recommend Russell Barkley as a starting source. I have referenced some of his videos on my corner or you can find them on YouTube. If you decide to go the video route, be sure to watch the long lectures. The short ones just do not give enough information to be all that effective in understanding the overall picture of the disorder. You can go on from there but all this will give you a good base for understanding what is going on with you and your child.

Anyway, welcome and good luck,

Dizfriz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
mariannelucia (05-29-14), psychopathetic (05-29-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-14, 12:09 PM

mariannelucia is on a distinguished road

thank you both very much. There is so much to learn
The Following User Says Thank You to mariannelucia For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (05-29-14)
Old 05-29-14, 12:16 PM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

hello mariannelucia and one and all are wellcome here

Last edited by peripatetic; 05-29-14 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: removed extra java script...no changes to actual post :)
The Following User Says Thank You to dormammau2008 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (05-29-14)
Old 05-29-14, 05:30 PM

Thanked 33,418 Times in 15,099 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

moderator note:

i'm going to try and fix this thread that's developed a post eating post problem. i may need to close it in the meantime, but be assured there are no violations or anything, just trying to fix a glitch.

cheers,
peri

EDIT: all set now. cheers

Last edited by peripatetic; 05-29-14 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: still fixing, hopefully
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-29-14)
Old 05-29-14, 11:38 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,299 Times in 7,112 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

((((((((((((((Marianne))))))))))))))

haha I was just like you! I had always thought add and adhd were all about hyper kids! I had NO idea someone like me (who is quite the opposite of 'hyper'! lol) could have it!

I will say that the worries and stress over these meds has greatly diminished over time for me (only been on adderall for about 6 months now). I was really worried about them myself...and about coming across as a dope or a druggy to people! lol.
I just don't have those concerns anymore. As I've continued to take them, and have found the right dose for me, and seen how well they can work for me (like they seem to be working for your daughter! )...my fears of being a 'druggy' have just continued to lessen. I realize now that I'm far and away from a druggy seeking a high. I'm looking for meds that can help lower some of my adhd symptoms (like focus)...which adderall does for me. I don't feel guilty about it anymore.
Nor have I had any desires to abuse my meds...I found a dose I'm happy with and I'm very pleased with what they're doing for me...and I just have NO desire to take them improperly now.

I also completely agree with the advice above about taking it slowly.
It was very frustrating for me going slowly with these meds. It took me about 5 months of very slowly increasing my dose to finally approach the correct dosing for me. It just felt like for a long time these meds just weren't doing what I wanted them to do for me, and I really started to get frustrated.
But I hung in there, and now I'm SO glad that I did!

Anyhow, sorry for the long winded reply. Wish I was more help to you!

Just wanting to wish you and your daughter the best!

((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Old 05-30-14, 04:14 AM

Thanked 1,548 Times in 931 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

The only think I hate about "NEWBIE" is the word itself. Welcome to the board!

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
Old 05-30-14, 06:47 AM

Thanked 6,112 Times in 2,794 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!

You're asking good questions but unfortunately the answer varies widely. The only way to find your dose is to slowly titrate. The only way to know how to eat right and decide whether to take it on weekends is to try different things and experiment. Best of luck. Figuring all this out will be well worth it.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Old 06-02-14, 12:14 PM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

nice to meet you stevuke79 and any new peps dorm