ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 09-04-14, 08:29 AM

miss_beckyloca is on a distinguished road
Red face Questions About Vyvanse (ima Newbie!)

Hi all,

I have joined this form to gain information about my new diagnosis. I'm sure that there are others out there with similar stories, but considering I am almost 30 years old & was JUST diagnosed with ADHD yesterday, this is all extremely new to me, and I appreciate ANY advise from anyone who thinks they might have info for me! Thank you in advance!

Ok, Here's a little history before asking my questions. I have been seeing my psychiatrist for just over 2yrs, prior to that I saw 3/4 before finding my doctor, who I absolutely love! I was originally diagnosed with severe anxiety (having panic attacks etc...) and he "thought" I might have been suffering from depression. I tried over a dozen anti-depressants (talking just with my current doctor) that just didn't work--whether they made me worse, extremely moody & I guess more depressed, made me extremely tired & sleeping too much, or sick for hours after taking the pill... So, after many trials, I was getting along fine with only my Klonopin & regular therapy sessions, so we left it alone.
But over time I would have good days, bad days & at times could barely function...

Well, yesterday, he mentioned that I looked very tired, which I WAS. And I had planned to bring that up anyways. For the past 2yrs (off & on really), I have been just ridiculously exhausted, no matter how much sleep I was getting. I also have numerous back problems, so that never helps, but I just hurt constantly despite taking my medication, I never felt like doing things... My once OCD, house HAS to be cleaned at LEAST once a week ways diminished, and I really just felt helpless, not knowing WHY I was always so exhausted. I could FORCE myself to do vital things (giving my child baths, books before bed, up for school, doctor appointments etc...), but I never felt like doing any of it due to being completely zonked all day no matter how much napping I did, how early I went to bed, how late we slept when we could sleep in etc...

My doctor told me after looking over my chart & his notes that he thought that I DID still have a significant Anxiety problem & we would continue to treat as we were because that area was working, but that he wanted to try something a little different because he thought we had been "battling the wrong demon"...as far as the thinking I was depressed. He told me he thought it was possible that I had ADHD & was pretty certain given how I've felt for awhile & my answers to questions he asked. He then started asking me things & after I answered, he said, "There's a red flag right there" to basically all... For example, I started college in 2003, got thru 2 semesters & then just kinda fell off... In 2005 I went back, to another college, for a different area of study, again got thru about 2 semesters & once again just kinda "got in my hole" and fell off again... Well, this has happened at least 7 times all together until my most recent attempt last year, which I ended up dropping out before classes really even started due to having 4-6 panic attacks in one sitting while on campus.
Many other things pointed to ADHD, too, but to save space... Ha..Well, this surprised me a little because of my age for starters (I thought this kinda disease was something that was generally diagnosed early on in childhood or teenage years, verses me at almost 30. And while there was a few things he pointed out in my past & teenage years that were fairly significant symptoms, I'd always managed to "be ok, or pull thru" without medication. I was still able to FUNCTION.
Anyways, he started me on Vyvanse 20mg. A very low "pediatric" dosage, as he called it because I am very sensitive to medications... Well, my initial reaction after taking my very first pill.. Within 2hrs, for the first time in what seems like months--I had energy. I could do things without feeling like I was dragging butt & having to FORCE myself. My mood was better, and really I just noticed an overall "I feel like my old self again!" type thing.

Now, he did tell me to expect some sleep issues for a little bit until I got used to the medicine, but if they were to bad, to call him before my appointment next Wednesday... To start my questions..

1) I could NOT sleep AT ALL last night... I closed my eyes & rested for a hour or so, but I couldn't go to sleep. Does this change as I get more of the medicine in me? How long does it take to sort of even out to a normal wake/sleep pattern?
2) SORRY, this maybe TOO MUCH INFORMATION, but I really need advise on it...I have had quite a bit of diarrhea. Now, my appetite has been healthy for the last 4 days, or so, so it's possible that the reason for this is that I've gone from eating only 1, IF THAT meal a day to eating as I should & actually being hungry to eat... But I was wondering if this is a side effect of Vyvanse, does this last long? Will it subside as I get used to the medication?

I am sure I will have more questions as I get along, but those are the 2 biggies I have right now, so I'm hoping y'all can give me some answers & information that I haven't seen on pamphlets & websites about Vyvanse. My apologies for such a long post, but I felt I should give a little history before diving on in to my questions.

Thank you ALL for reading & in advance for your comments!
Bless you & have a good day!

Also, a non-Vyvanse question... What is a Poll (one of the little boxes I can check, with the numbers? What does that mean/do?

--miss_beckyloca
Old 09-04-14, 09:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of
Re: Questions About Vyvanse (ima Newbie!)

This may ansewrer your questions.
Your body takes at least a few months to adapt to the medication,
In order to get some sleep, bearing in mind Vyvanse ( dextroamphetamine) is quite strong,
Don't take a dose later than about 2 pm. Or you won't sleep to well.

The diarrhea is caused by the medication increasing the digestive stomach rythem of the stomach.
Hope this helps.
Goodluck
Old 09-06-14, 05:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,982 Times in 14,787 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Vyvanse is hit or miss. For some people its wonderful and lasts just the right amount of time. For others it lasts so long that it interferes with sleep. Its worth considering another amphetamine like adderall or dexedrine.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-14, 05:34 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,982 Times in 14,787 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing I thought of: have you considered a sleep study? Yourself be surprised at how many of us have sleep disorders in addition to adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-13-14, 04:05 PM

Ferocity is on a distinguished road

I'm on my second day of vyvanse and I'm having that same tmi problem ...did it get better and did vyvanse seem to not work as well for you during that time ?