ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-03-16, 12:31 PM

wldunbar is on a distinguished road
High IQ, Poor Student, Difficulty Focusing At Work & Home

Hi All,

I've been struggling with figuring out a cause for the issues I face in my day to day life for awhile now, and recently came across an article that really brought some things to light for me. In sum, the author talks about his inability to focus on the day to day tasks at work, as well as his troubles participating in traditional education. Which, after some thought has brought me here, as well as scheduling an appointment with a psychiatrist at my university.

So on to my story. I grew up an only child, and always hung out with older children (when I was 8, my best friend was 14. I am now 22 and my friend group is in their late 20's and early 30's.) I always had trouble connecting and communicating with those my age, and still do.

Although enrichment classes were available throughout early elementary, I didn't begin enrichment courses until 6th grade. Up until High School I put in virtually 0 effort, and received straight A's. I was often ridiculed by fellow enrichment classmates that applied themselves to receive the same grades that I did, as they never saw me studying and I never partook in "doing homework at a friend's house," as many of my friends did.

When I reached High School, this pattern kind of changed. Through 9th and 10th grade I started playing MMORPG's and my grades dropped. I continued to take Honors coursework, but was receiving far worse grades. In tenth grade, I lost about 60 pounds, became "popular," was elected class president - and came out as gay. Because of how much I enjoyed my position as class president, I was forced to maintain better than the grades I had been receiving, but it was a struggle.

In reality; though, it was a little different. The only classes I excelled in were those that I had a personal relationship with the teacher who pushed me to succeed. I had the option to arrive late to school, and would often skip the classes I did not like and instead just do the assignments. My school allowed 15 unexcused absences per year, and I made sure that I used all 7.5 unexcused absences per semester.

To sum up High School: I graduated with a 2.88/4.0 unweighted GPA, and 3.57/5 weighted GPA. My Junior and Senior years I managed to work 30 hours per week at Mcdonald's, run the class government, started my own Habitat for Humanity Organization, and maintain above-average grades. I scored a 1970 on the SATS, and had a pick of some very nice schools with great scholarships. I received 3's and 4's on the AP exams for Literature, Chemistry, and World History.

Fast forward to college and I'm beginning to hit a wall, as it were. I often attend my classes for the first few times, and once I become bored, I start to lose interest. I've only failed one course in my three years, but it has become a huge emotional struggle to maintain my grades. I've also run into issues in my department due to performance in certain classes. I took up a photography major, and focus on alternative processes due to the scientific nature of the processes, and professors in my academic courses have affected the opinions of my photography professors. Outside of school, I often pursue education in spurts. Outside of college I've taught myself a plethora of things, which has further deteriorated my faith in traditional education.

As far as work goes - I will often wake up with plenty of time to get ready, eat breakfast and get to work with plenty of time to spare. But I instead do mundane tasks and do things that are unnecessary (like folding laundry) and arriving to work 10-15 minutes late. I have luckily recently taken up freelance work that does not require I be on time - but I also work in a restaurant, where tardiness is very frowned upon. Although I have been spoken to, I cannot break the cycle of being late, and my superiors have begun to accept that I'm always late, but keep me at a full-time schedule due to my work performance. My peers and superiors have criticized my "work ethic" which has lead to low self esteem at certain points, and I recently overcame some pretty bad depression after losing a recent job due to these issues.

At work (My main source of income comes as a waiter at a local diner) I find that my mind is generally in a very "low gear." I put the physical energy in, and can manage a very large section of tables, but I feel unsatisfied as my mind is basically idle. My coworkers often comment or question if I'm mentally slow, or "high," because I don't seem very alert.

Prior to this job, I worked at a real estate marketing company making $25 an hour (which for 22 with no experience was a huge opportunity.) However, the job required very mundane day to day work. As the company was just starting, there was plenty of opportunity to pursue complex problems. I set up their in-office network, their hard drive arrays, and helped to devise a productive workflow, among other things. Eventually, as everything was set up, I was let go as I was not performing the day to day tasks as they expected. I was fully able to get the job done with time to spare, but the mundanity of it caused my mind to wander and my productivity severely suffered.

If you've gotten this far, please help! I'm 22 and going stir crazy. I want to drop out of school, and move to Seattle. But at the same time I want to pursue a Master's degree. But with my history as a student it's not looking likely. Do I have ADD due to having a high IQ? Is there any therapy that I can pursue to lead a fulfilling life? I find myself in a very perpetually stagnant mood, and want to find happiness and fulfillment like I did in my later years of High School.
Old 02-03-16, 12:59 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: High IQ, Poor Student, Difficulty Focusing At Work & Home

Well, what is your IQ? Having a high IQ does not mean you have adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-03-16, 01:11 PM

wldunbar is on a distinguished road

Of the multiple tests I've taken, I generally score between 123 and 129. The reason I've brought up this question to the ADD forums is that I often have trouble focusing without extreme effort on schoolwork or work tasks, and I find that taking Nootropics keeps my brain from shutting down during mundane tasks.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-16, 04:34 PM

Zenod_ADHDi is a jewel in the roughZenod_ADHDi is a jewel in the roughZenod_ADHDi is a jewel in the rough

High IQ doesn't induce ADHD. You could get a neuropsych evaluation and see if you have it! Sure, nootropics help (I take plenty ) but if you do have ADHD.. The medication is required, nootropics are neurostimulants, so they'll help but... It won't change you. Get a diagnosis!
Old 02-03-16, 07:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,017 Times in 2,069 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

If you're open to medication, get yourself diagnosed by a psychiatrist specializing in ADHD. Then try out some meds. Nothing works as well as meds IF they work for you and the side effects are tolerable.

I'd do some online research on ADHD and coping skills as well as this forum to see if you can figure out some ways to solve your problems.

I'd try therapy as a last resort - my guess is unless you have a comorbid (which the psychiatrist should check to see if you do or not), you probably wouldn't benefit much from therapy.

High IQ does not cause ADHD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-04-16), someothertime (02-04-16)