ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-18, 04:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
I am adhd, I have adhd or I am a person with adhd?

Which do you prefer and why? Whats the difference? I think I tend to say I have adhd but I know Ive also said "I'm add".

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-12-18, 04:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of
Re: I am adhd, I have adhd or I am a person with adhd?

"I have ADHD" or "I am a person with ADHD." It is just a tiny bit of what makes me "me" and not part of my identity in any way really, so saying "I am ADHD" doesn't convey the right message for me personally. I'm more like Meredith Brooks; a little bit of everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 06:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
"I have ADHD" or "I am a person with ADHD." It is just a tiny bit of what makes me "me" and not part of my identity in any way really, so saying "I am ADHD" doesn't convey the right message for me personally. I'm more like Meredith Brooks; a little bit of everything.
Are you a b*tch or a lover or alive or a mother?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-12-18), Kaia.S (03-12-18), Lunacie (03-12-18), OyVeyKitty (03-12-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-18, 06:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,376 Times in 13,997 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a strong preference except that I really dislike "I am ADHD" but that's only because it doesn't make sense grammatically. You can't be attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder. Maybe "I am an ADHD" would make more sense grammatically but not necessarily be more meaningful. You are not a disorder. Maybe my disorder would work. So you could say "I am my ADHD"....

I woukd say I have ADHD. I don't think it's that different to I am a person with ADHD but it's easier to say. I know neuro linguistic programming etc make a big deal about how the language that you use affects your thinking but I doubt that it has a huge effect. It's mainly just habit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (03-12-18), stef (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 07:03 AM
Jr Member

Bart1992 is on a distinguished road

I don't really talk to other people about my condition, but I would rather say something general like "I have trouble concentrating" or "I cannot pay attention to lectures for so long" , "I am forgetfull sometimes" etc.

I do this because I don't really fit the image people often have with adhd. in my country at least, it is more associated with hyperactivity and impulsivity, whereas i am of the inattentive type. When I have said I have adhd to people before, people are very surprised and say oh but you're so quiet/calm!

When needed (i.e. in contact with doctors/school) I would state I was diagnosed with having adhd. This is because I don't feel the diagnosis process is so good that i can say with certainty that I have adhd (there still don't exist blood/ecg tests, it was only based on questionnaires and observation).

I certainly do have symptoms and I feel the medication helps me, but I don't see myself as very different from other persons and thus do not want people to associate me with adhd when they think of me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bart1992 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 11:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Are you a b*tch or a lover or alive or a mother?
I'm working on that last part, I think I've got the rest down.
The Following User Says Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 11:38 AM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I have been diagnosed with ADHD (-PI).

Cheers,
Ian
Old 03-12-18, 12:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

I have adhd... i abuse my condition gratefully as it explains a lot ;-)))

I wouldn't be a broken leg if my leg was broken. Though i was born with adhd and it will stay with me until i die... i'm also not blue eyes. I don't identify with body or thoughts... i'm a human experience, with assets, defects, possibilities and limitations.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-12-18), Fuzzy12 (03-12-18), OyVeyKitty (03-12-18), stef (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 01:31 PM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road

I am a person with ADHD.
I know that I am what I am.
Old 03-12-18, 04:46 PM

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

I have ADHD is fine with me.

I've been diagnosed with ADHD is also fine.

So funny, shortly after diagnosis I ran around telling people I have ADHD ... Now, I rarely tell people, because they don't seem to understand it. Nothing very good comes of disclosure.

I will talk about hating tedious tasks ... and hating detail-oriented work. That's my secret way of not apologizing for having ADHD.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-12-18), Kaia.S (03-12-18), OyVeyKitty (03-12-18), stef (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 05:04 PM

Thanked 26,088 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I don't have a strong preference except that I really dislike "I am ADHD" but that's only because it doesn't make sense grammatically. You can't be attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder. Maybe "I am an ADHD" would make more sense grammatically but not necessarily be more meaningful. You are not a disorder. Maybe my disorder would work. So you could say "I am my ADHD"....

I woukd say I have ADHD. I don't think it's that different to I am a person with ADHD but it's easier to say. I know neuro linguistic programming etc make a big deal about how the language that you use affects your thinking but I doubt that it has a huge effect. It's mainly just habit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaia.S View Post
I have adhd... i abuse my condition gratefully as it explains a lot ;-)))

I wouldn't be a broken leg if my leg was broken. Though i was born with adhd and it will stay with me until i die... i'm also not blue eyes. I don't identify with body or thoughts... i'm a human experience, with assets, defects, possibilities and limitations.
We do say "I'm blue-eyed." There doesn't seem to be a good way to modify
ADHD to say the same sort of thing. There is with Autism, but not Bipolar.
Epilipsy is modified to say "I'm an epileptic." I have been an Asthmatic. And
I am also a Migraineur.

I am blue-eyed, dyed-blonde, a mom, a gramma, a woman, a senior citizen,
overweight, sometimes silly, sometimes over-emotional, nearsighted,
. . . and it depends on the setting which of those I use to describe myself.

This is a personal choice, and no one should be shamed for such choices.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me

Last edited by namazu; 03-12-18 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Removed statement of religious preference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 05:11 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
We do say "I'm blue-eyed." There doesn't seem to be a good way to modify
ADHD to say the same sort of thing. There is with Autism, but not Bipolar.
Epilipsy is modified to say "I'm an epileptic." I have been an Asthmatic. And
I am also a Migraineur.

I am blue-eyed, dyed-blonde, a mom, a gramma, a woman, a senior citizen,
overweight, sometimes silly, sometimes over-emotional, nearsighted
. . . and it depends on the setting which of those I use to describe myself.

This is a personal choice, and no one should be shamed for such choices.
You could say I am attention deficient and hyperactive though it's a bit of a mouthful.

Last edited by namazu; 03-12-18 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted material for consistency.
Old 03-12-18, 05:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
You could say I am attention deficient and hyperactive though it's a bit of a mouthful.
There's also "I'm an ADDer," but it's not common enough for people to know what you're talking about and if you pronounce it "adder" people might think you believe you're a snake (or someone who's really into addition.)

Personally I propose we start saying we're ADDictive.
Old 03-12-18, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
There's also "I'm an ADDer," but it's not common enough for people to know what you're talking about and if you pronounce it "adder" people might think you believe you're a snake (or someone who's really into addition.)

Personally I propose we start saying we're ADDictive.
Old 03-12-18, 09:10 PM

Vex187 will become famous soon enough

Generally I dont usually tell people, so I tend to lean towards the "im just me direction"... but if i had to choose it would be i have adhd as its much faster to say than i am a person with adhd lol.

I was only diagnosed with ADHD last year but had a previous ASD diagnosis and have found that both of those are largely misunderstood, as is mental health in general, so if i say anything it'll usually be symptoms or traits. Going by past experiences, saying i have adhd to people who dont know me well usually ends up in them forming judgements based on social stigmas, or me explaining what it is/isnt... so i rather just skip the drama as most people will still think its only a behavioral issue anyway. With people i know and get along with im happy to say i have adhd if it comes up in conversation as education helps and its something i like about myself anyway.

Slightly off topic but ASD wise is the same as the ADHD diagnosis, if i say anything i'll usually say high functioning autism. The first people I really told openly were from uni, and I ended up being called "that autisitc guy". While its true to a point, I sorta feel being identified by a personality trait is the same as being identified by a physical one, so it doesnt sit well with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vex187 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-13-18)