ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-14-18, 11:39 AM

XxBmwM is on a distinguished road
Best generic for Adderall XR/Authorized generics?

My doctor and I are discussing the possibility of switching to Adderall XR since Adderall IR generics are inconsistent. I like the flexibility of taking an IR formulation but the fact there are so many generics is quite frustrating.

In regards to XR, I've read that Prasco is now an authorized generic as well as Sandoz. Does anybody have any experience with Prasco? I've taken TEVA/Barr/Global Adderall XR in the past and had great success with it. Would Prasco be identical to TEVA/Barr/Global? If not, is TEVA still around for Adderall XR?

There aren't a lot of reviews of Prasco Adderall XR, but from what I've read, it should be identical to Shire's formulation (I Hope).
Old 05-05-18, 05:40 PM

Rmd2308 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best generic for Adderall XR/Authorized generics?

It should be, but I started it this week and experienced horrible side effects that come with the medication and go away when it starts to wear off- I have weird neck pain that feels like I slept funny (but I didnít because it goes away when the med wears off), nausea, Iím foggy, unfocused, depressed, teary, and I feel completely unmotivated and exhausted. I have taken other meds before and this has never happened. I filed a report with the FDA... this is bad!

If you google it, youíll find a lot of people complaining about Prasco. The formaula they are distributing is from Teva... the same company that in 2012 had its FDA approval revoked for its generic Wellbutrin because there wasnít enough of the actual medication in their product.

I guess some people donít have an issue with it, but I stopped taking it already and I will never take it again.
Old 05-05-18, 06:52 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

If my understanding is correct, authorized generics are identical to the brand name. It's the same pill produced in the same factory.

I don't know which manufacturers are currently authorized generics. Seems like something that your pharmacists should be able to help with. Doctors probably don't have the time/interest to keep up with that sort of stuff.

Also, perhaps your insurance company can give you info? Would your insurance even cover an authorized generic? My guess is that authorized generics are more expensive than other generics. My plan actually only covers the brand name, for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-18, 03:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,959 Times in 14,773 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Global is an authorized generic and its the only adderall xr that I use and love it.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-06-18, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Global is an authorized generic and its the only adderall xr that I use and love it.
Global used to be an authorized generic until 2017. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case; it is now being sold under the Impax brand as just a regular generic.
If you are still receiving global as the authorized generic then it's probably just the remainder of supply that is left.
Old 05-07-18, 03:25 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,959 Times in 14,773 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Can I have more info about this? I dont mean about Impax acquiring Global but specifically how global is no longer making it and Impax is. You know how companies will buy other ones but sort of leave them be an allow them to operate as themselves under their own name even thought they are owned by other companies? The same happened to Teva/Barr a few years back. One bought the other one but still let one of them use their own brand, manufactured the exact same way. They basically bought them to profit from their "authorized generic status and are not allowed to change anything if they want to maintain it. Did you know there is a difference between authorized generic and just generic? I didnt. I cant remember if Teva bought barr or if it was the other way around.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-07-18, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Can I have more info about this? I dont mean about Impax acquiring Global but specifically how global is no longer making it and Impax is. You know how companies will buy other ones but sort of leave them be an allow them to operate as themselves under their own name even thought they are owned by other companies? The same happened to Teva/Barr a few years back. One bought the other one but still let one of them use their own brand, manufactured the exact same way. They basically bought them to profit from their "authorized generic status and are not allowed to change anything if they want to maintain it. Did you know there is a difference between authorized generic and just generic? I didnt. I cant remember if Teva bought barr or if it was the other way around.
Here are some helpful links:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300221210.html

http://www.prasco.com/news/2016/pras...ules,-cii.html

http://gabionline.net/Generics/News/...all-XR-generic

Yeah, I knew about authorized generics that's why I made posts regarding them. I agree, manufacturers and their roles are constantly changing and it can be quite irritating to keep up with it all.