ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 03-31-09, 10:56 PM

obsessive will become famous soon enough
OCD and ADHD together

I was diagnosed with OCD three months ago and have been on an SSRI since (Celexa 20mg). It is helping greatly with the OCD and such, however I am positive I also have ADHD. I have a meeting with a psychiatrist for the first time in my life on April 7th and am confident he will agree.

Some of my ADHD symptoms are: CONSTANT daydreaming, aimless walking, talking outloud while daydreaming, unable to pay attention to class lecture, EXTREME difficulty reading text books, suppressed emotions, ridiculous sleep patterns (tired during the day wide awake at night), unable to shut brain off at night, rushes of adrenaline from positive thoughts

I understand that alot of OCD symptoms overlap with ADHD, but these problems have existed throughout my life even before any OCD was noticeable to me. Nevertheless, my concern is regarding ADHD medication. It is clear to me I have low dopamine AND serotonin levels in my brain resulting in OCD + ADHD...

Do ADHD medications raise dopamine levels?
Does ADHD meds screw up the effects of SSRI medication?
Is it safe to be on ADHD medication long term?
What kind of effects would ADHD meds have on my body (muscle mass, sleep patterns [better or worse?], anxiety, sexual side effects)

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-09, 11:06 PM

Re: OCD and ADHD together

I guess I should have read this before I posted... but I 100% have the symptoms of adult ADHD. That describes me in a nutshell.

Quote:
What are characteristics of adult ADD?

An adult with ADHD has a different complex of symptoms than a child does. As a person matures, the childhood symptoms of ADHD may evolve:

Hyperactivity may evolve into

• uncontrolled arousal
  • feeling overwhelmed
  • talking excessively.
Inattentiveness may evolve into

• unwilled tuning-out
  • the inability to focus on mundane tasks.
Impulsiveness may evolve into

• irritability
  • quick anger
  • inadequate censorship of rude or insulting thoughts
  • poor timing in interactions.
Gabor Maté, and Hallowell and Ratey (authors of Driven to Distraction) also include these characteristics of Adult ADD:

• may be perceived as aloof and arrogant or tiresomely talkative and boorish
  • compulsive joking, often about personal life history and feelings
  • pressured rapid-fire speech, seemingly random and aimless hopping from one topic to the next
  • procrastination - difficulty starting tasks
  • incompletions - tasks or book reading begun but not finished before new projects or new books are started, leaving a never-ending to-do list
  • insecurity and self-esteem issues because of unmet high personal expectations
  • often high achiever, even overachiever, but with poor self-image because of beliefs that more could be accomplished if not for disorganization
Old 03-31-09, 11:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

ADHD OCD and Tourettes here, have fun with that! I know I do! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-09, 12:13 AM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

I don't technically have OCD but with anxiety i'm terrible. Now I consider my obsessive nature a way of coping to remember the important stuff! If not, I'd forget and never get anything done, as well as never being able to get to where I am now. People say i'm too hard on myself, but what they don't know is being too hard on myself is the only way I can "try" things as well as following through.
Old 04-01-09, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincan View Post
ADHD OCD and Tourettes here, have fun with that! I know I do! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
Yeah it's wonderful so what have you done about it? What pills you poppin'? That's the topic at hand.
Old 04-04-09, 09:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

roseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to allroseblood is a name known to all

Stumbled on this and thought of your thread: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/...hort/160/1/183

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessive View Post
Do ADHD medications raise dopamine levels?
Does ADHD meds screw up the effects of SSRI medication?
Is it safe to be on ADHD medication long term?
What kind of effects would ADHD meds have on my body (muscle mass, sleep patterns [better or worse?], anxiety, sexual side effects)
1) Stimulants are thought to work that way, atomoxetine not as much; that mainly affects noradrenaline.
2) Well doctors are allowed to and do prescribe both for some people, and some have found this helpful, so I suppose not.
3) Research hasn't found any risks associated with long-term use that I'm aware of, provided it's used properly and potentially dangerous side effects are checked for, e.g. blood pressure increases.
4) Varies very much but most negative side effects subside after a few weeks anyway. Some report worsened sleep, some improved. Some report worsened anxiety, some reduced. Sexual side effects aren't particularly common. The most commonly persistent complaint among adults seems to be reduced appetite with stimulants and lethargy with atomoxetine.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-06-09, 01:02 AM

Basically I battle my obsessive thoughts or I'm constantly zoned out. The ADD and OCD play tug-of-war with my mind. I've completely lost touch with reality.
Old 04-06-09, 01:13 PM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

couldn't of said that better obsessive lol. I was trying to figure out why I thought I zoned out "all the time" before and yea that's probably why I did.
Old 04-06-09, 05:48 PM

haha I wish I could meet a girl with my problems!!
The Following User Says Thank You to obsessive For This Useful Post:
zarazz (04-06-09)
Old 04-06-09, 06:01 PM

haha we would be some sad pandas.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
Mincan (04-06-09)
Old 04-06-09, 10:16 PM

Poppin pills together could be a wild experience hahahah
Old 04-06-09, 11:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

VanReal has a spectacular aura aboutVanReal has a spectacular aura about

I don't know how I would function with my ADHD without my OCD. I rely heavily on my OCD in order to get things done, keep track of things, keep clean and organized (as much as possible with the ADHD) and feel normal for me because of my rituals. I take Focalin for ADHD and wellbutrin for anxiety and depression which work well for me but I don't mess with my OCD because it works for me. I don't know about the long term, I know what works for me now, and my psych does monthly med checks to see how all is going. The same thing doesn't work for everyone, but as you'll see while looking through the board it seems the bulk of us have a companion "crazy" to accompany our ADHD.
Old 04-07-09, 12:44 AM

You simply have different OCD than I do. I have pure-O OCD, which has no visual compulsions just all mental rumination caused by disturbing, intrusive thoughts which cause anxiety. I do not enjoy my OCD, in fact it has driven me into massive depression.
Old 04-07-09, 12:58 AM
Contributor

zarazz will become famous soon enough

my OCD could probably serve me a bit better, I am horribly disorganized simply because I have no obsession when it comes to the physical area surrounding me. I do primarily have obsessions...to the point where these obsessions keep me occupied and I am almost never bored. Additionally the only way I can complete any task is by it being related to an obsession.
The Following User Says Thank You to zarazz For This Useful Post:
kwalk (04-07-09)
Old 04-07-09, 01:28 AM

Vanreal I feel the same way. My talent comes from my obsessive "hyperfocus" and I can shock people to how well I can do something. It also helps me for relying on my memory. I have to obsess about something to keep myself to remember it and everyone thinks i'm crazy at times because of it until they realize I can't remember anything at one point. It isn't the greatest when I take a lot longer to do something because of it, especially if I care about it, usually have to think of something really creative to care about it. Though, my major is that way and it's even worse when I have to be critiqued by my teachers although I tried so hard to begin with! this is what makes my homework so draining and everyone looks at me as lazy or disorganized when I "complain" or just fall over when I'm about to cry in being taken down another letter grade in an assignment.

ugh...... this just reminded me o yea that's where it all started... and my psychiatrist trys to tell me my anxiety is not from adhd. it's in different "areas" of the brain and if I have anxiety my stimulant won't do anything for my memory. yea uh my memory was "fine" to me until the half marker of a semester without meds. Doctors are so stupid