ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 01-02-11, 05:30 PM

rogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nice
Methylphenidate for the simple ADHD mind.

Methylphenidate for the simple ADHD mind

This will be a branch off of my original thread "Amphetamine for the simple ADHD mind".

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95059

I highly suggest you read that first, because alot of the chemistry and terms i use in this will be explained there.

Methylphenidate or dexmethylphenidate are two stimulants of the piperdine class of chemicals and are considered amphetamine derivatives for the reason that they have the very basic phenethylamine molecular foundation with alot more extra molecular compounds bonded on.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eletal.svg.png

These two chemicals are central nervous system stimulants that are in many brands of ADHD medication. For methylphenidate these brands are Ritalin, Concerta, Metadate, and Methylin. For dexmethylphenidate the brand is known as Focalin.

Now lets first talk about the difference between Methylphenidate and dexmethylphenidate. If you read my thread about amphetamine, you wil learn the difference between L and D isomers you will find that we call these right handed or left handed molecules which are mirrored versions of the same molecular structure. Well in the laws of chirality, you can also have molecules that are the same molecular structure but rotate in opposite directions. We call these dextrorotory and levorotory. levmethylphenidate as an atom rotates counterclockwise and dexmethylphenidate rotates clockwise. How they differentiate between the two when making this medication is beyond me. But it is know that the dexmethylphenidate is twice as potent as racemic methylphenidate mixtures like concerta or ritalin. This is because only the dextrorotary version of methylphenidate is active as a stimulant. For instance ritalin contains equal amounts of dextrorotary and levorotary methylphenidate. Therefore only half is active in our bodies. The other half doesnt do anything.

Now when dexmethylphenidate enters the body it passes through the blood brain barrier much like amphetamines do, and goes to the synaptic cleft. Instead of entering the dopamine or norepinephrine synaptic vesicles, it jumps onto the transporters and stops them from being able to transport these chemicals or recycle them back into their vesicles causing dopamine and norepinephrine to flood in greater amounts over a short amount of time. An illegal drug that does this but has a much shorter time of effect is cocaine, which leads to ritalin being a useful drug for cocaine addiction.

When it comes to some stimulants working for some people's adhd and some dont. For instance, adderall vs dexedrine vs ritalin vs strattera. Its completely based on whats the issue with your transporters and chemical output. If you are putting out enough dopamine and norepinephrine but your transporters are working too fast, then you will benefit from ritalin. If your dopamine isnt being put out enough, their transporters are working to fast, your norepinephrine isnt being put out enough but their transporters are working to fast then you would benifit from a racemic mixture of amphetamine also known as adderall. If your dopamine isnt being put out enough, their transporters are too fast, and your norepinephrine receptors are fine. Then you will get the best results from dexedrine. And if your dopamine production is fine, the transporters work normal, but your norepinephrine trasporters are too fast. Strattera is what will work best for you.

Essentially if you arent getting enough stimulation and you dont really feel an effect your dopamine levels are too low and you need to switch to an amphetamine based medication. If your taking an amphetamine based medication and adderall makes you anxious or hypertensive, first try a lower dosage, then switching to dexedrine, if that is still causing hypertension or anxiousness, then most likely your dopamine isnt the problem and you should switch to strattera.

i hope this has been very informative and you guys enjoy reading my posts. Please sticky this!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rogerdodger91 For This Useful Post:
Amtram (01-03-11), Emre22 (08-04-17), EshkaronsEngine (01-06-11), wayneb (08-04-17)
Old 01-04-11, 01:09 AM

Canadian4Life is on a distinguished road
Re: Methylphenidate for the simple ADHD mind.

My mind is anything but simple. My mind is actually over-active and thoughts fly a mile a minute..ritalin slows them down and helps me focus on the "important" ones though.. I also bounce off the walls without my ritalin
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian4Life For This Useful Post:
Linus_Wolf (12-03-13)
Old 01-05-11, 01:43 PM

rogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nicerogerdodger91 is just really nice

ummm join the club? I think we all have that issue.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-11, 12:23 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,401 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Copied from guidelines

Legal/Medical Disclaimer

The advice offered in the ADD Forums, is for informational and support purposes only. This advice is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this forum, or on any related web site! Advice given on this forum is the opinion of the individual posting it, and not necessarily the opinion of ADD Forums.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
APSJ (01-06-11), peripatetic (01-06-11)
Old 12-18-17, 07:47 PM
Jr Member

Chris_Wren1 is on a distinguished road

ADHD is actually caused by lower levels of dopamine transporter's which causes dopamine to remain longer in the synaptic cleft and this down-regulates dopamine receptor(s) and then causes the symptoms of ADHD.

People with ADHD have the right amount of dopamine and need an excess of dopamine so it can bind to the receptors. Because receptors are down-regulated meaning you need more dopamine.
Old 12-22-17, 04:25 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,240 Times in 14,339 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Wren1 View Post
ADHD is actually caused by lower levels of dopamine transporter's which causes dopamine to remain longer in the synaptic cleft and this down-regulates dopamine receptor(s) and then causes the symptoms of ADHD.

People with ADHD have the right amount of dopamine and need an excess of dopamine so it can bind to the receptors. Because receptors are down-regulated meaning you need more dopamine.
I dont think they have come up with a solid cause for adhd, Only theories.

I carried a watermelon?