ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-17, 05:02 PM
Jr Member

whoisinthere22 is on a distinguished road
Best form of magnesium to take before bed?

Hi there!

I heard a few brands of magnesium are good to take while on vyvanse. I also know that oxide is the worst out of all of them.

What form of magnesium do you guys use?
Old 02-22-17, 05:21 PM

lntense is on a distinguished road
Re: Best form of magnesium to take before bed?

I would say you couldn't go wrong with chelated magnesium or magnesium citrate. I personally use chelate.

Abstract
"Published data on the bioavailability of various Mg preparations is too fragmented and scanty to inform proper choice of Mg preparation for clinical studies. In this study, the relative bioavailability of three preparations of Mg (amino-acid chelate, citrate and oxide) were compared at a daily dose of 300 mg of elemental Mg in 46 healthy individuals. The study was a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel intervention, of 60 days duration. Urine, blood and saliva samples were taken at baseline, 24 h after the first Mg supplement was taken ('acute' supplementation) and after 60 days of daily Mg consumption ('chronic' supplementation). Results showed that supplementation of the organic forms of Mg (citrate and amino-acid chelate) showed greater absorption (P = 0.033) at 60 days than MgO, as assessed by the 24-h urinary Mg excretion. Mg citrate led to the greatest mean serum Mg concentration compared with other treatments following both acute (P = 0.026) and chronic (P = 0.006) supplementation. Furthermore, although mean erythrocyte Mg concentration showed no differences among groups, chronic Mg citrate supplementation resulted in the greatest (P = 0.027) mean salivary Mg concentration compared with all other treatments. Mg oxide supplementation resulted in no differences compared to placebo. We conclude that a daily supplementation with Mg citrate shows superior bioavailability after 60 days of treatment when compared with other treatments studied."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ubmed_RVDocSum
Old 02-22-17, 05:59 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lntense View Post
I would say you couldn't go wrong with chelated magnesium or magnesium citrate. I personally use chelate.

Abstract
"Published data on the bioavailability of various Mg preparations is too fragmented and scanty to inform proper choice of Mg preparation for clinical studies. In this study, the relative bioavailability of three preparations of Mg (amino-acid chelate, citrate and oxide) were compared at a daily dose of 300 mg of elemental Mg in 46 healthy individuals. The study was a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel intervention, of 60 days duration. Urine, blood and saliva samples were taken at baseline, 24 h after the first Mg supplement was taken ('acute' supplementation) and after 60 days of daily Mg consumption ('chronic' supplementation). Results showed that supplementation of the organic forms of Mg (citrate and amino-acid chelate) showed greater absorption (P = 0.033) at 60 days than MgO, as assessed by the 24-h urinary Mg excretion. Mg citrate led to the greatest mean serum Mg concentration compared with other treatments following both acute (P = 0.026) and chronic (P = 0.006) supplementation. Furthermore, although mean erythrocyte Mg concentration showed no differences among groups, chronic Mg citrate supplementation resulted in the greatest (P = 0.027) mean salivary Mg concentration compared with all other treatments. Mg oxide supplementation resulted in no differences compared to placebo. We conclude that a daily supplementation with Mg citrate shows superior bioavailability after 60 days of treatment when compared with other treatments studied."

I was considering taking chelate and citrate. I am not sure yet.

Which form of chelated magnesium do you have?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-17, 06:10 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lntense View Post

Abstract

I did some digging and found out that citrate worsens the effects of Adderall.

"1. Amphetamine tolerance is caused by excess Calcium influx through the NMDA receptor. Taking NMDA antagonists, prevent excess Calcium influx. Magnesium is an excellent NMDA antagonist, so take magnesium glycinate or magnesium taurate 200 mg three times a day. Do not take magnesium citrate, as it will acidify the GI tract and have a negative effect on absorption of your medication."
"Adderall Tolerance" by Roberta Foss-Morgan

And I also had an interesting read here:
"Adderall Tolerance: Causes and How to Prevent It" from Mental Health Daily

Last edited by namazu; 02-22-17 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Replaced links to commercial websites (not allowed) with print-friendly versions of articles.
Old 02-22-17, 08:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,264 Times in 10,243 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Milk of Magnesia

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 02-22-17, 08:53 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Milk of Magnesia
I have never heard of such thing.
I think I am gonna go with glycinate. I found a brand called "Advanced Orthomolecular Research" (AOR).

Living in Canada and getting any sort of useful supplement is nightmare

Last edited by namazu; 02-22-17 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Removed link to commercial website -- see ADDF guidelines on links.
Old 02-24-17, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisinthere22 View Post
I did some digging and found out that citrate worsens the effects of Adderall.

"1. Amphetamine tolerance is caused by excess Calcium influx through the NMDA receptor. Taking NMDA antagonists, prevent excess Calcium influx. Magnesium is an excellent NMDA antagonist, so take magnesium glycinate or magnesium taurate 200 mg three times a day. Do not take magnesium citrate, as it will acidify the GI tract and have a negative effect on absorption of your medication."
"Adderall Tolerance" by Roberta Foss-Morgan

And I also had an interesting read here:
"Adderall Tolerance: Causes and How to Prevent It" from Mental Health Daily
Looks like you found your answer.
Old 02-24-17, 05:03 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,238 Times in 8,584 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

You can also use transdermal application of magnesium chloride. Just spray it on the skin, it goes directly into tissues and into the bloodstream without passing the intestinal tract.
Old 02-27-17, 12:14 PM

Bakasura is on a distinguished road

Any update on this? Had the same question myself. WhoIsThere22 - did you end up trying Magnesium Glycinate?
Old 02-27-17, 01:31 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
Magnesium Threonate...

supposedly crosses the blood brain barrier more easily than other magnesium salts.
Old 02-27-17, 05:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,264 Times in 10,243 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
You can also use transdermal application of magnesium chloride. Just spray it on the skin, it goes directly into tissues and into the bloodstream without passing the intestinal tract.
right here

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 03-11-17, 03:38 AM

33Forward has a spectacular aura about33Forward has a spectacular aura about
Re: Magnesium Threonate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
supposedly crosses the blood brain barrier more easily than other magnesium salts.
^This!!!
Indeed. I, too, feel into the magnesium citrate trap without realizing it. I've been taking citrate for years for headaches, so I never really gave it a thought until someone mentioned that the citrate form contains citric acid, which is an amphetamine no-no.

You can get Threonate, but its really tough (impossible) to source locally. I know, I drove everywhere I could think of today with no success. For now, I have Gluconate form to hold me over, until I can order the Threonate form online. Others have suggested Gylconate and Malate as options. Threonate is a relatively new form, which supposedly crosses the blood-brain barrier very easily. Each form works better for different needs, but considering the context, Malate if you can find it, or Threonate is probably the best for those of us on this forum. Be aware that some list combinations of different forms, all of those I found had citrate form as part of that.
In the same idea, don't forget calcium, and zinc. However, they both (especially calcium) have similar issues finding bioavailable forms that aren't citrate.
(not Einstein, as some believe)
"Right now...time is having its way with you." -Van Halen

"It is the same with people as it is with riding a bike. Only when moving can one comfortably maintain one's balance." -Albert Einstein
Old 03-11-17, 01:47 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,674 Times in 8,848 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
Good stuff. I enjoyed the spray, especially over having to remember to take another pill, but couldn't stand the sensory issues with the residue once it dried and soaked in.

The tingle took some getting used to, but also served as a way of knowing it was doing its job, so to speak. I find that rather comforting in such a sea of uncertainty among various healing arenas.

I later happened upon a you tube video of a gentleman explaining the gel version of magnesium chloride and he spoke of how he blended it with other things to be able to use it more comfortably and on the go.

I found some at our local healthy products store (Life-flo brand, magnesium chloride brine, super concentrated gel) and started mixing some in with my home made coconut and essential oil blends as a daily moisturizer. Diggin' it. No more residue issues and there's a much more steady flow of application.

In addition, a long soak in a hot epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) bath a couple times a week benefits my overall wellness greatly, too. If you don't have access to a tub, use something large enough to soak only your feet in.

Use two cups of epsom salt and water as hot as you can stand it, only if you don't have any medical conditions that prohibit you from doing so, and soak for at least 20 minutes to benefit from the healing effects.

You can also add essential oils to the soaks, but be very careful to research what you want to use and how to safely use it as some of them are quite potent and require a carrier oil. I prefer using them outside of the tub and only in external blends and diffusers.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-11-17), moth2flame (03-13-17)
Old 03-15-17, 11:23 AM
Contributor

baical will become famous soon enough

I thought magnesium glycine or aspartate were great up until I just tried magnesium bisglycinate!
Old 05-16-17, 12:04 PM

I did some trial and error and Magnesium Taurate seems to work the best for me. Great sleep, and great for the comedown from adderall. It is a very good form of it.

I retract my earlier post about chelate.. Apologies