ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-17-18, 03:33 PM

ImaADHDGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: 90 mg Instant release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belikemike1183 View Post
It makes sense as far as melatonin is
For time being, it seems like suggestion by Lunacie seems reasonable.

Anything else that I can try to see some consistent results as far as being productive goes and get stuff done.

Thanks

I sense a bit of denial here, and I'm a live and let live kind of guy, so this will be my last post on this thread unless you ask me to continue. I will make a few points.

As a medical student, you should know that the maximum approved dose of amphetamines for ADHD treatment is 40mg (60mg for narcolepsy) a day. So, you're taking more than double the max. And, from what you've described, the problems really started when you moved up to 60mg. It is very possible you're on too much, which can feel like not enough due to the changes in mental state that can bring -- including depression and anxiety which will interfere with the positive benefits of concentration and focus.

Also, as a medical student, it's probably easier for you to convince a doctor to increase your dose -- we tend to trust those in our own "tribe" more. So that's the danger for you -- people don't think someone with a legit prescription can be an addict, but that's a fallacy. You have better access through legal means than the average Joe.

Any stimulant, especially Adderall, has two distinct effects that are desirable. The first is that euphoric kick-in, which can last 10 to 60 minutes. This is what you build up a tolerance to very quickly (crushing and baking soda are all about chasing that kick-in high). The second effect is the focus and concentration -- which doesn't seem prone to tolerance very quickly at all (with proper usage, you can take it a lifetime without ever building up tolerance).

I'll be blunt and say it sounds like when you increased to 60mg, you were re-introduced to that kick-in high and you've been chasing it ever since.

You'll never get the ADHD relief you're looking for while on that chase. And talking to your doctor won't help unless you tell him/her that you might have a problem with addiction. The privilege of your med student status will always be a means to hide it.

I've said my peace. Good luck to you, and I hope I've just read you all wrong.
Old 06-17-18, 03:45 PM
Jr Member

Belikemike1183 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
To me it sounds like you're VERY close to trying to abuse Adderall. I mean...look at the long list of stuff you're trying to do to increase it's effects. It's no wonder you have a tolerance to it...you're borderline abusing the stuff.

After re-reading your original post...I guess I really don't have any suggestions for you.

I know I'm coming across as being harsh here...and it's because, well...I am being harsh lol.
But I do feel bad for you . It's not like you wanted to be at this point with these meds. They were helping, and then they stopped...it's only natural that you try and get that back. That help.
And you absolutely do need and deserve it. And it sucks cause you're moving into a part of your life that will be very stressful and highly demanding...so damn! You could REALLY use something to help out.

It freaking sucks that Adderall is no longer doing that for you. It sucks that you're having to push so hard to try and get it back to where it use to be.

I guess I do have a suggestion...and my suggestion would be to work with your doctor to try a new medication.
That's not a great suggestion either for you right now...because what a freaking mess switching to new meds can be right now at this point in your life with all the stress of starting residency soon and all the studying and everything.

But I do feel you're on a dangerous path where you are with Adderall. Maybe it's time to let it go before it becomes a very serious problem.
There are other meds for this.

Sorry for being so harsh with my words. I do wish you well though, and I do empathize with you. You're not being a 'bad' person. You're just seeking help for this damned difficult disorder that drags you down in the mud all day. You do deserve that help, and I hope you can find it safely again soon.

Okay, thank you!
Old 06-17-18, 05:22 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaADHDGuy View Post
I sense a bit of denial here, and I'm a live and let live kind of guy, so this will be my last post on this thread unless you ask me to continue. I will make a few points.

As a medical student, you should know that the maximum approved dose of amphetamines for ADHD treatment is 40mg (60mg for narcolepsy) a day. So, you're taking more than double the max. And, from what you've described, the problems really started when you moved up to 60mg. It is very possible you're on too much, which can feel like not enough due to the changes in mental state that can bring -- including depression and anxiety which will interfere with the positive benefits of concentration and focus.

Also, as a medical student, it's probably easier for you to convince a doctor to increase your dose -- we tend to trust those in our own "tribe" more. So that's the danger for you -- people don't think someone with a legit prescription can be an addict, but that's a fallacy. You have better access through legal means than the average Joe.

Any stimulant, especially Adderall, has two distinct effects that are desirable. The first is that euphoric kick-in, which can last 10 to 60 minutes. This is what you build up a tolerance to very quickly (crushing and baking soda are all about chasing that kick-in high). The second effect is the focus and concentration -- which doesn't seem prone to tolerance very quickly at all (with proper usage, you can take it a lifetime without ever building up tolerance).

I'll be blunt and say it sounds like when you increased to 60mg, you were re-introduced to that kick-in high and you've been chasing it ever since.

You'll never get the ADHD relief you're looking for while on that chase. And talking to your doctor won't help unless you tell him/her that you might have a problem with addiction. The privilege of your med student status will always be a means to hide it.

I've said my peace. Good luck to you, and I hope I've just read you all wrong.

Well, you did read me wrong.

Regardless, thank you for your input.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-18, 07:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,170 Times in 11,327 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, sometimes less is more with Adderall.

Taking a 15 minute nap is pure bliss when tired, and you can wake absolutely refreshed and continue on with the day.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 06-17-18, 07:58 PM
Jr Member

Another question.

- Sometimes, I feel its kicking is more in the evening. I take my last dose, whichever route, by 3 pm consistently. Then sometimes, i feel like it its working better around 6pm and that kind of sucks. Any idea why and how to prevent or minimize it?

Thanks
Old 06-17-18, 09:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,170 Times in 11,327 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you always take the same generic brand?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 06-18-18, 12:36 AM

fathom6 is on a distinguished road

Belikemike1183, I think your first step is to acknowledge that you have a problem. Questions to ask yourself and to share here so we can help:

- Why are you taking Adderall. ADHD or ADD? Cap your dosage. 30mg/day is a lot. If thats not working, find the "cause". 90mg/day that is "addiction", meaning you have a problem. You are lucky to be a med student. And now hopefully you can take steps. First and foremost flush your body with all chemicals you are taking as that unknowing to you could be playing a havoc counter-acting each other. Its a bad sentence, but Adderall is great and it needs to be respected which currently you are not. 90mg per day is not respecting it.

- Why are you taking huge doses of almost daily Anti-histamine Benadryl and combining it with Doxylamine succinate? Once a while Benadryl/Doxy is good. But taking such a high dose daily basis I would think is counteracting with Addy. Addy sharpens your brain, while Benadryl causes brain fog. Melatonin on other hand is neuroprotective so daily use with Addy is synergistic. But again 50mg, absolutely not. 1/10th of it, maybe. Better make it 1/50th of it.

- B Complex is great. EPA/DHA Omega 3 is great daily. Synergestic with Addy. Tyrosine how much are you taking? If its high dosage on daily basis it could be well problematic with Addy and cause of your 90mg Addy dosage. It would be a good to take drug holiday from Addy, and during that time replenish your neurotransmitter stores with Tyrosine, however taking them concurrently on a daily basis could interfere with Adderall's effectiveness. I dont think there is a specific study on Addy/Tyrosine concurrent usage, however Tyrosine supplements are known to counteract Alzheimer meds absorption. If you must, I would take Memantine instead of Tyrosine alongside Addy.

- Daily Mg is great though I would rather take: Magnesium Threonate instead, its the only form known to cross blood brain barrier and permeate the mitochondrial membranes in brain. Its synergistic with Addy.

Good luck with a USMLE, its a tough exam, but do take a drug holiday. Get everything out of your system first. Detoxify. Live a very clean lifestyle, I do like your breakfast (boiled egg and oatmeal and as someone wrote that dont chase the Addy high with baking soda tricks. Start with a clean slate. Try Addy 30-40 mg normal dose if that does not work, try Vyvanse 70mg.
Old 06-18-18, 08:20 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Do you always take the same generic brand?
Well no, not always.

Initially, I started generic instant release tablets. Later, I switched to XR because it was cheaper for me to get name brand XR versus generic IR tabs. I have taken 30 mg XR since being cheaper than the IR. Then my insurance switched which made generic IR tabs much much cheaper.

Currently, I am on generic IR tabs teva. Is there any possible difference between teva or barr? Perhaps, different pharmacies carry different generics? I have always filled it at Walgreens but not the same store. Few years ago, I did try to switch to a different generic and If i remember correctly, I did not see significant difference.
Old 06-18-18, 08:30 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathom6 View Post
Belikemike1183, I think your first step is to acknowledge that you have a problem. Questions to ask yourself and to share here so we can help:

- Why are you taking Adderall. ADHD or ADD? Cap your dosage. 30mg/day is a lot. If thats not working, find the "cause". 90mg/day that is "addiction", meaning you have a problem. You are lucky to be a med student. And now hopefully you can take steps. First and foremost flush your body with all chemicals you are taking as that unknowing to you could be playing a havoc counter-acting each other. Its a bad sentence, but Adderall is great and it needs to be respected which currently you are not. 90mg per day is not respecting it.

- Why are you taking huge doses of almost daily Anti-histamine Benadryl and combining it with Doxylamine succinate? Once a while Benadryl/Doxy is good. But taking such a high dose daily basis I would think is counteracting with Addy. Addy sharpens your brain, while Benadryl causes brain fog. Melatonin on other hand is neuroprotective so daily use with Addy is synergistic. But again 50mg, absolutely not. 1/10th of it, maybe. Better make it 1/50th of it.

- B Complex is great. EPA/DHA Omega 3 is great daily. Synergestic with Addy. Tyrosine how much are you taking? If its high dosage on daily basis it could be well problematic with Addy and cause of your 90mg Addy dosage. It would be a good to take drug holiday from Addy, and during that time replenish your neurotransmitter stores with Tyrosine, however taking them concurrently on a daily basis could interfere with Adderall's effectiveness. I dont think there is a specific study on Addy/Tyrosine concurrent usage, however Tyrosine supplements are known to counteract Alzheimer meds absorption. If you must, I would take Memantine instead of Tyrosine alongside Addy.

- Daily Mg is great though I would rather take: Magnesium Threonate instead, its the only form known to cross blood brain barrier and permeate the mitochondrial membranes in brain. Its synergistic with Addy.

Good luck with a USMLE, its a tough exam, but do take a drug holiday. Get everything out of your system first. Detoxify. Live a very clean lifestyle, I do like your breakfast (boiled egg and oatmeal and as someone wrote that dont chase the Addy high with baking soda tricks. Start with a clean slate. Try Addy 30-40 mg normal dose if that does not work, try Vyvanse 70mg.

Before bed:

- Tyrosine - 1 Cap 500mg (too much)
- One capsule of fish oil
- 1 pill of vitamin b complex
- Theanine (1-2 pills) = 200 mg
- Sublingual Vitamin B 12

Magnesium Glycinate - 400 mg. I thought that was the best kind?

What about ADP-choline. I have taken it before and last use was perhaps 1 year ago. I don't remember it making a difference. I know people take it and rave about it. But I did not notice much difference (was a while ago so i could be mistaken)

In all honesty, I don't think any of the above make significant difference. Atleast not clinical difference.
Old 06-18-18, 08:34 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathom6 View Post

Forgot:

I don't drink any soda, last drink was 2 years ago because I rarely go out. Don't smoke (only 1 cigarette when i was 12 ). I try to run outside 1-2 a week and go to the hospital gym (2-3 times a week). I don't really eat fast food or anything of that nature.

Usually inside the hospital for at least 105 hours a week easy along with significant time in Ortho research lab. So no time for party.
Old 06-19-18, 02:02 AM
Jr Member

ilovereian will become famous soon enough

Bro, obviously you don't have a script but I'll pretend you do. You go by productivity, not because you need a jump start in the morning or by feeling. I work 430am in the morning and I don't take my adderall to help me wake up to get to work. I use it so I can focus on my tasks at work so I don't get distracted. The morning boost is a bonus that I'm not reliant on or aiming for. That's the difference when someone talks about these meds as recreational/unscripted vs. therapeutic/scripted. Not because you took benadryl too late and you need adderall to get up in the morning to fight the grogginess. Haha.

Do what your doctor instructed you to do. That's on your pill bottle
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilovereian For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-19-18), psychopathetic (06-19-18)
Old 06-19-18, 08:31 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovereian View Post
Bro, obviously you don't have a script but I'll pretend you do. You go by productivity, not because you need a jump start in the morning or by feeling. I work 430am in the morning and I don't take my adderall to help me wake up to get to work. I use it so I can focus on my tasks at work so I don't get distracted. The morning boost is a bonus that I'm not reliant on or aiming for. That's the difference when someone talks about these meds as recreational/unscripted vs. therapeutic/scripted. Not because you took benadryl too late and you need adderall to get up in the morning to fight the grogginess. Haha.

Do what your doctor instructed you to do. That's on your pill bottle
Well, first of all I do have a script. Second, spare me your righteousness. I don't have anything good to say to you, so I will just stop.
Old 06-19-18, 08:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,460 Times in 14,483 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belikemike1183 View Post
Well, first of all I do have a script. Second, spare me your righteousness. I don't have anything good to say to you, so I will just stop.
I understand why that person's post ruffled your feathers but what are the directions on the pill bottle?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-19-18, 09:18 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I understand why that person's post ruffled your feathers but what are the directions on the pill bottle?
Directions: 1 tablet 3 times a day.

I mean I admitted that I was not taking it as directed which is my own fault. No one is denying that. I just need to take it as prescribed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Belikemike1183 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-19-18)