ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-25-18, 04:17 AM
Contributor

Swissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of light
Labeled Sun but ...

I’ve been getting Sun brand IR for a while. They are yellow and football shaped. I just picked up a script labeled sun but they are shaped like a hexagon and marked with an M in a square. I’m thinking it’s mylan, but the Mylan I’ve had in the past were circles. I don’t care one way or another, because these work better than any i’ve tried, I’m just curious if anyone can confirm this is a new shape Mylan brand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-25-18), psychopathetic (04-25-18)
Old 04-25-18, 04:31 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,679 Times in 10,402 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Labeled Sun but ...

M in a square is Mallinckrodt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (04-25-18), Swissy (04-25-18)
Old 04-25-18, 04:37 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,238 Times in 7,588 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly what mine look like...only mine are bright white. Mine are 20mg just like the ones in the photo above (20 on 1 side, m on the other).

My pill bottle label says "Mall" which I assume is Mallinckrodt.
Maybe your pharmacy just made a typo? Or perhaps they forgot to update the info in their computers, so it's still showing up as sun (sunpharma) instead of the new generic.

I've had great success with this brand so far (only been a few weeks).

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-25-18), Swissy (04-25-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-18, 04:52 AM
Contributor

Swissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of light

I’m guessing it was mislabeled because this was the balance of a partial script. First half was Sun, I guess since it was a part of the same prescription, the label wasn’t changed. I really like this brand, and I’ve read so many negative reviews. Once again I am reminded We all have different experiences. Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-25-18), psychopathetic (04-25-18)
Old 05-08-18, 08:09 PM
Contributor

I decided I don’t like Mallinkroft. It’s impossible to cut them in half without the pill turning to dust. I either end up with more than 1/2, less than 1/2 or licking up powder off of the paper towel, so gross! And although I have no negative s/e, it doesn’t consistently work as well as I initially thought. I’m going to let the pharmacist know that it’s impossoble to cut the pill in half and will try requesting a different brand.
Old 05-09-18, 12:16 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,679 Times in 10,402 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if you're getting uneven splits or piles of powder, that's a problem, and may account for some of the uneveness of effect you're experiencing. (I wouldn't recommend licking it up -- that can throw the effects out of whack.)

What do you use to cut the pills? A regular kitchen knife?

If you don't have a pill-cutter, you can get one pretty cheap ($5-$10). They have an angled guide thingy that helps hold the pill in place under the blade:

...That said, I think it's perfectly reasonable to do what you suggested and see if they can get another manufacturer's generic. Or, if you're not taking a full 20mg, see if your doctor can write a prescription for more 10mg pills or something, so there's less pill-splitting required in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Swissy (05-09-18)
Old 05-09-18, 10:46 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,354 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
I decided I donít like Mallinkroft. Itís impossible to cut them in half without the pill turning to dust. I either end up with more than 1/2, less than 1/2 or licking up powder off of the paper towel, so gross! And although I have no negative s/e, it doesnít consistently work as well as I initially thought. Iím going to let the pharmacist know that itís impossoble to cut the pill in half and will try requesting a different brand.
Hey Swissy, I bet that pill is a PITA to split even w/ a pill cutter, but like Namazu suggested, a pill cutter will do a better job. I split pills too. You're still going to end-up w/ some powder and some "uneveness". How big a problem depends on the shape and whether fully scored or not. The uneveness is no biggy and may even be better. Smaller fragments go in the end of the day dose and larger ones in early doses. I picked up one at Walgreen's, but all the pharmacies have them. Some thoughts follow;
  • The absolute best way is to get pill's that are the right dose and you don't have to split.
  • I avoid having to double split. (split one pill into 4 doses) Makes a mess and is uneven. Shape and scoring doesn't help much.
  • A score for the full length helps. Helps line-up w/ blade. A triangular pill w/ a full score is the easiest, especially w/ my splitter that has a "V" shaped guide at the end.

GL, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Swissy (05-09-18)
Old 05-09-18, 01:28 PM
Contributor

I use a straight edged, sharp knife when possible. Otherwise I bite it in half right on the line. It has always worked perfectly well. But now when I try to bite it, it just crumbles in my mouth and I have to take what I get. When I cut it, same thing happens which is why I end up taking the powder/ crumbs and saving the bigger piece. 15mg IR is the right dose for me... my day is so long that I try to prolong efficacy by taking 1/2 a couple hours apart instead of taking the whole thing at once. Depending on the day, the whole thing at once can be too much. I am not going with XR for a couple reasons... I donít want to be stuck taking the full dose every day if I donít need it, and more importantly my insurance doesnít cover this med so I pay out of pocket and IR is much more affordable.

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it!
Old 05-11-18, 08:42 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,354 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
---SNIPPAGE---

15mg IR is the right dose for me... my day is so long that I try to prolong efficacy by taking 1/2 a couple hours apart instead of taking the whole thing at once. Depending on the day, the whole thing at once can be too much. I am not going with XR for a couple reasons... I donít want to be stuck taking the full dose every day if I donít need it, and more importantly my insurance doesnít cover this med so I pay out of pocket and IR is much more affordable.

Swissy, In my case I prefer the IR also (different reason). My insuarance's Drug Formulary was more flexible for Dex IR. It may be worth a check by you. If like mine, you could get 5mg tablets and avoid splitting. GL, -LN
Old 05-26-18, 02:19 AM

JustAHedgehog will become famous soon enough

Its good to cycle Mallinckrotch with another brand.