ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-28-09, 07:10 PM
Jr Member

patio87 is on a distinguished road
How does Adderall XR work exactly?

How does the pill work? How long does it take to outer shell to dissolve? And once it does, doesn't all the salts get absorbed into your blood stream, how does that make it extender release if so? Also how does having food in your stomach effect the drug absorption? If I eat a lot a food and take my dose, am I going to have limited effects, kind of like alcohol absorption?
The Following User Says Thank You to patio87 For This Useful Post:
purpletexasgal (10-26-11)
Old 06-29-09, 01:21 PM
Contributor

Hoshi has a spectacular aura aboutHoshi has a spectacular aura about
Re: How does Adderall XR work exactly?

I can't tell you as well as many here can, but I'll tell what little I know. I have little experience with it since I couldn't tolerate XR.

It (I've heard) takes a little bit longer, maybe 15mins more, to kick in than IR, but it lasts 5 - 8hrs depending on the person. The little beads you see in there are the amphetamine salts, coated in such a way that they release at different times, with one released soon after ingestion and the other 1/2 released 3-4 hours later.

Food, in my experience with most meds, tends to make it take longer to be absorbed. Some people find that less of the meds are absorbed. This isn't always a bad thing. Some days I take my IR with food (mainly because I know I won't want to eat while on it), sometimes on an empty stomach...but I would suggest eating maybe a little before it kicks in if you're worried. That way you can avoid the nausea some feel taking stimulants on an empty stomach and can keep more energized, since you need food to keep your blood glucose levels stable. It lessens the crash.

As for alcohol, I'm not sure. I'm not of legal drinking age in the states, and I don't really drink regardless. I had maybe two drinks while in Ireland and didn't notice much even though my meds were going, so I really don't know. I wouldn't suggest drinking in excess while on your meds.
Old 06-30-09, 05:14 PM

ColinADD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by patio87 View Post
How does the pill work? How long does it take to outer shell to dissolve? And once it does, doesn't all the salts get absorbed into your blood stream, how does that make it extender release if so? Also how does having food in your stomach effect the drug absorption? If I eat a lot a food and take my dose, am I going to have limited effects, kind of like alcohol absorption?
When you take Adderall XR the beads inside the capsule have 2 coatings, one which gives you half of the total (i.e.: 30mg -> 2x 15mg doses) immediately and the other half will eventually dissolve around 4 hours later more or less. XR's typically take 30 mins to kick in while IR's take like 5 minutes. When you eat it with food it is similiar to alcohol absorption like you mentioned, some of it can just get grouped in with the food and never enter the blood stream and just get flushed out. But unlike Alcohol, the pH of your food can also effect the bioavailability of Adderall. So you should probably try to avoid acidic food/drinks if you're taking your Adderall with food. You'll always get the best effects if you it on empty stomach but I understand many people can't do this. Hope that answered your questions
The Following User Says Thank You to ColinADD For This Useful Post:
Laserbeak (06-17-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-09, 10:03 PM
Contributor

Hoshi has a spectacular aura aboutHoshi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinADD View Post
When you take Adderall XR the beads inside the capsule have 2 coatings, one which gives you half of the total (i.e.: 30mg -> 2x 15mg doses) immediately and the other half will eventually dissolve around 4 hours later more or less. XR's typically take 30 mins to kick in while IR's take like 5 minutes. When you eat it with food it is similiar to alcohol absorption like you mentioned, some of it can just get grouped in with the food and never enter the blood stream and just get flushed out. But unlike Alcohol, the pH of your food can also effect the bioavailability of Adderall. So you should probably try to avoid acidic food/drinks if you're taking your Adderall with food. You'll always get the best effects if you it on empty stomach but I understand many people can't do this. Hope that answered your questions
Errr, IR does not start working in 5 mins. Lol. It takes most people 30mins-1hr to start.

Taking it with (non-acidic) food slows absorption a little bit and can lessen it slightly, but taking it on an empty stomach can sometimes make people feel ill. It depends on the person as to whether they prefer it taken with a small snack or on an empty stomach.
Old 07-02-09, 08:24 PM

ColinADD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshi View Post
Errr, IR does not start working in 5 mins. Lol. It takes most people 30mins-1hr to start.

Taking it with (non-acidic) food slows absorption a little bit and can lessen it slightly, but taking it on an empty stomach can sometimes make people feel ill. It depends on the person as to whether they prefer it taken with a small snack or on an empty stomach.
maybe for you IR doesn't work that fast but it definetly kicks in around 5-10 mins for me.
Old 07-02-09, 11:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

tomlinson has a spectacular aura abouttomlinson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
maybe for you IR doesn't work that fast but it definetly kicks in around 5-10 mins for me.
For me as well, usually even faster. I feel it within a minute or two.
Old 07-02-09, 11:51 PM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

^That would be a psychological reaction (placebo effect), not a physiological reaction. When I first started taking it I would get excited and "feel" it right away. It's a similar feeling because of the adrenaline rush. Now that I don't really get a lift from my meds anymore I don't experience that. I'm too used to the actual feeling of the adderall kicking in

Anyway, not trying to sidetrack the thread. I just remember that happening and realizing that it's not possible for the body to metabolize the drug that fast.
Old 05-28-10, 11:45 PM

Barrett532 is on a distinguished road

Actually not to continue this debate but I had to add my experience. I've taken adderall for 7 years and it's never taken longer than 10 minutes max to kick in. Some people just digest faster than others. I've had two friends who are over weight though and they say it takes them 30 - minutes or more. That may be a reason it takes longer for some.
Old 05-29-10, 07:30 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

half is instant release beads. dissolve is your stomach under acidic conditions. 30-60 min after ingestion

the other half. 4 hours later. in your small intestine. where the conditions are alkaline (opposite to acidic). thru ion exchange (IX):

bead-amp ion + alk ion -> bead-alk ion + amp ion (activation)

so its 2 instant release doses 4 hours apart (two pulse tech)
Old 05-29-10, 11:36 AM

LoveNYCNY is on a distinguished road

Is there any way to get IR act more like XR? In a situation where switching to IR would save me about 1k / year but really prefer the slow release....
Old 05-29-10, 05:35 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

yes, if you have good amount of food in your stomach. that should slow it down making more smooth.

but that's about it. you can decrease your dose and take more frequently to have slower smoother release.
Old 10-14-11, 02:04 PM

80-Dee is on a distinguished road

My doc said 15 mg XR is like 2x ir 15mg, not 2x 7.5mg -- not sure who is correct ...

Quote:

Last edited by 80-Dee; 10-14-11 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Messed up ir vs xr
Old 10-14-11, 02:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,147 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-Dee View Post
My doc said 15 mg XR is like 2x ir 15mg, not 2x 7.5mg -- not sure who is correct ...

pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/AdderallXR_USA_ENG.PDF[/url]

That's ^ the information sheet from Shire regarding XR. Copy and paste into address bar to get to the PDF doc. Scroll down to "2. Dose and Admiminstration" to find the quote below:

Quote:
2.1 Dosing Considerations for all Patients
Individualize the dosage according to the therapeutic needs and response of the patient. Administer ADDERALL XR at the lowest effective dosage.
Based on bioequivalence data, patients taking divided doses of immediate-release ADDERALL, (for example, twice daily), may be switched to ADDERALL XR at the same total daily dose taken once daily. Titrate at weekly intervals to appropriate efficacy and tolerability as indicated.
I bolded the part where it states that patients taking a specific amount of IR twice daily may be switched to the same total dose once daily with XR. Basically, XR is the equivalent of two doses of Adderall IR.

I hope this helps

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 05-19-16, 05:11 AM

OrdinARytoo is on a distinguished road

Why does Xr suck? I don't feel anything. I'm doing 10 mg pretty new to aderrall but I found 10 mg of amphetamine salts was way more stimulating.. I'm confused. Generic whooped brand new butt in my opinion. Why does it suck? Is it because it only has 2.5 Mgs of amphetamine and all this other random stuff? I feel no different. I've like lost faith in the thing. When before it was actually a medicine ahhhh help
Old 05-19-16, 12:42 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,351 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveNYCNY View Post
Is there any way to get IR act more like XR? In a situation where switching to IR would save me about 1k / year but really prefer the slow release....
You betcha.

Let's use 20mg Adderall XR as an example. It is designed to approximate 2-10mg IR doses 4 hours apart. The advantage of XR is it is a single pill. A potential disadvantage of XR is that the second dose is set-up for ~4hours whether you need it at 3 hours or 6 hours. (The duration of the first dose is different for different people.)

So if you want to mimic XR, take a single 10mg dose of Adderall IR and then 4 hours later take a second dose of IR. The disadvantage is that IR requires taking multiple pills at scheduled times. The advantage is in your case it saves you money and you can adjust when to take the second dose based on how long an Adderall XR dose lasts for you.

Also, there are quite a few people that take XR that have to take dose of IR later in the day because a single XR won't last all day for them. HTH, -LN