ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips > ADD Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life Using the book "ADD Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life"

Old 09-20-18, 02:08 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,856 Times in 672 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Reading and applying "ADD Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life"

Yesterday I bought this book, motivated to understand my behavior better and (most importantly) figure out how I can get organized even though I have been trying hard my whole live to organize the many areas of my life and I still haven't even had an organized home for more than a week or two (sticking with something seems nearly impossible, unless it gives me a strong positive feedback, like exercise does to me), and now I see that there is a subforum on it with nothing posted in the last year. So, I thought I might as well write about my journey with this book and this new attempt to get organized. I still believe that I can do it!

So, it's 7:30 in the morning and I have just returned from a trip to Africa for work and holidays. It was good to relax for a while and to view my life from a distance. One thing that is more clear to me is what my priorities should be. Here's my list (feel free to skip this is you want to read about organizing):
  • Number one is my health, physical, spiritual and mental, which I endangered because of the many side projects I was doing and which caused me to lose so many things that were dear to me (hopefully temporarily).
  • Second is getting and staying organized. Though I have learnt to keep pushing through when things dissolve into chaos and I can even manage to grow in those times, I can only do this temporarily and I can't do this on the long term, since it is exhausting and causing a lot of unnecessary problems (pushing through in chaos is like fighting a hydra - every time you chop off one of it's heads three new ones appear). I need to be organized if I want to function well and if I want to be someone that people can rely on.
  • Third on my list are the people I love. My friends, family and (hopefully) my future girlfriend/wife. I'd like to put them on number one, but if I don't take care of myself first then I don't have much to offer people.
  • Fourth is the core of my work (without the side projects) - my main responsibilities which I need to do well in order to keep my job. I'd love to put my side projects here, and they are valued by my employer, but I know that if I don't do what is expected of me first that my reputation will suffer (because people won't rely on me) and that I won't reap the benefits of all the other work that I am doing.
  • Fifth is making my life fun and adventurous. I love triathlons, rock climbing, traveling
  • Sixth are my side projects. I often find myself organizing events (rock climbing weekends, conferences, meetup groups, etc), initiating new groups and startups, creating things (apps, websites), helping people with things and learning new skills and knowledge. It feels good to enter new unexplored areas and to continually push my boundaries. I will keep doing this, but I will put this last on my list, because even though I am able to create a lot of value and I love the process, it hurts me and other people in the long run if I let myself get distracted all the time.

So, organizing is very high on this list. I hope to get my home, finances, agenda, tasks, administration, yes basically everything organized very well. At least, that is my dream. I will start with my home, since this is the place where I want to feel good and I know that I love it when it's organized. I look forward to it being organized, not for a few days but for the long term (without chaos taking over completely), and to experience how that will benefit me. So, I will take the first steps this morning. Fortunately, I managed to organize my home somewhat before I went to Africa four weeks ago, so it's not utter chaos. I will do the organizing room by room, putting everything in a it's place (or finding a place for it) and cleaning every surface. I also have some time tomorrow, and I have the whole weekend to work on this, so I think I can finish this by Sunday. Then the process of keeping organized will start, which is where I have to learn most.

In the afternoon I have a meeting with a graphic designer and a developer (for a few of my side projects), but in the morning I am free and I want to take a bit of time to have breakfast, relax and to organize my home. I will first walk to the supermarket to get food, and while walking there I will read in the book to see if I can get anything useful out to help me organize.

I will let you know how it went today and if I learnt anything interesting from the book to help me in my quest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 03:50 AM

benito is on a distinguished road
Re: Reading and applying "ADD Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksper View Post
Yesterday I bought this book, motivated to understand my behavior better and (most importantly) figure out how I can get organized even though I have been trying hard my whole live to organize the many areas of my life and I still haven't even had an organized home for more than a week or two (sticking with something seems nearly impossible, unless it gives me a strong positive feedback, like exercise does to me), and now I see that there is a subforum on it with nothing posted in the last year. So, I thought I might as well write about my journey with this book and this new attempt to get organized. I still believe that I can do it!

So, it's 7:30 in the morning and I have just returned from a trip to Africa for work and holidays. It was good to relax for a while and to view my life from a distance. One thing that is more clear to me is what my priorities should be. Here's my list (feel free to skip this is you want to read about organizing):
  • Number one is my health, physical, spiritual and mental, which I endangered because of the many side projects I was doing and which caused me to lose so many things that were dear to me (hopefully temporarily).
  • Second is getting and staying organized. Though I have learnt to keep pushing through when things dissolve into chaos and I can even manage to grow in those times, I can only do this temporarily and I can't do this on the long term, since it is exhausting and causing a lot of unnecessary problems (pushing through in chaos is like fighting a hydra - every time you chop off one of it's heads three new ones appear). I need to be organized if I want to function well and if I want to be someone that people can rely on.
  • Third on my list are the people I love. My friends, family and (hopefully) my future girlfriend/wife. I'd like to put them on number one, but if I don't take care of myself first then I don't have much to offer people.
  • Fourth is the core of my work (without the side projects) - my main responsibilities which I need to do well in order to keep my job. I'd love to put my side projects here, and they are valued by my employer, but I know that if I don't do what is expected of me first that my reputation will suffer (because people won't rely on me) and that I won't reap the benefits of all the other work that I am doing.
  • Fifth is making my life fun and adventurous. I love triathlons, rock climbing, traveling
  • Sixth are my side projects. I often find myself organizing events (rock climbing weekends, conferences, meetup groups, etc), initiating new groups and startups, creating things (apps, websites), helping people with things and learning new skills and knowledge. It feels good to enter new unexplored areas and to continually push my boundaries. I will keep doing this, but I will put this last on my list, because even though I am able to create a lot of value and I love the process, it hurts me and other people in the long run if I let myself get distracted all the time.

So, organizing is very high on this list. I hope to get my home, finances, agenda, tasks, administration, yes basically everything organized very well. At least, that is my dream. I will start with my home, since this is the place where I want to feel good and I know that I love it when it's organized. I look forward to it being organized, not for a few days but for the long term (without chaos taking over completely), and to experience how that will benefit me. So, I will take the first steps this morning. Fortunately, I managed to organize my home somewhat before I went to Africa four weeks ago, so it's not utter chaos. I will do the organizing room by room, putting everything in a it's place (or finding a place for it) and cleaning every surface. I also have some time tomorrow, and I have the whole weekend to work on this, so I think I can finish this by Sunday. Then the process of keeping organized will start, which is where I have to learn most.

In the afternoon I have a meeting with a graphic designer and a developer (for a few of my side projects), but in the morning I am free and I want to take a bit of time to have breakfast, relax and to organize my home. I will first walk to the supermarket to get food, and while walking there I will read in the book to see if I can get anything useful out to help me organize.

I will let you know how it went today and if I learnt anything interesting from the book to help me in my quest.
I use google calendar for everything I must to do, even if it's something as basic as throwing garbage. I have everything with alarms and it helps me a lot with my organization. If the event is very important, I set alarms one hour before and one day before. It is very important to do things when the alarm sounds and not to leave it for later. I repeat, for something as basic as ordering the kitchen, I need alarm (and be on meds). You can also set an alarm like "call x friend" simply to know how he is and give it a periodicity (ex. once a week) to do it often. I hope to help. Regards.

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 30mg and effexor xr 150mg

night: effexor xr 150mg, lamictal 200mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 200mg and clonazepam 0.5mg