ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > Professional Coaching
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-12, 01:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Verile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What is an ADHD coach?

You know, it's funny, addproud. After reading your first post in this thread I was sure you were an internet troll trying to parody the XYZibit meme. You may be too old to know what that means but essentially I thought you were being sarcastic and making a joke.

That's a sincere and beautiful story you shared with us though. Good for you. That said, there's no way in hell I would've made it to coach 28 before I gave up on finding a coach.
Old 10-10-12, 01:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

minuss will become famous soon enough

addproud, thanks for the info. Maybe there is something there, I wonder how much such a discovery costed (how many sessions at what price) Not that it was not worth it, but if there was no hidden talent the cost may have not been worth it .

I too had the exact same problem not sure if im dyslexic but it would not surprise me if there was something related to reading and writing that effected me. But in my case, I am pretty confident that there is no hidden talent lol.

spell check ? what spell check ?
Old 10-10-12, 10:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,218 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

On the issue of age, my coach was younger than I am and my previous therapist was younger than I am, and they were both great.

My general doctor is about 15 years younger than I am. She's excellent.

My current psychiatrist is about 20 years younger than I am ... I blinked the first time I saw him, but he's excellent. Great listener, really takes good notes and remembers everything I say and brings up all the important points. Takes my blood pressure each time ... Returns my calls quickly if I want to reschedule.

I'm 50 ... and once you get into your 40's, doctors, pharmacists, police officers, homeless people, bootleggers, one-legged robbers--all kinds of people end up being younger.

Yes, I can take guidance from a younger person ... I don't care if they are younger ... The question is whether they have insight and skill I can learn from.

My pharmacist, I swear, looks like he's 20 years old, and he's fast and great and highly informed if I have any questions.

The funny thing is that my ADHD coach was so organized, so competent and so good that I end up experiencing her as if she was older.

You can't let the age thing get in the way or else you'll miss out on great stuff. Young people often come out of school with great training, the latest up-to-date science and techniques. And I love the energy of young people.
Tone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (10-14-12), namazu (10-11-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-12, 03:05 AM

rek101 is on a distinguished road

The best coach I ever had as when in b school I hired an admin assistent to login to all my course websites and tell me what to do. I went from a 2.8 to a 4.0. I once called a coaching service and felt crappy about myself after talking to a guy who had achieved far less than I had and used me opening up to him as an excuse to take cheap shots. I find it far more likely that a nice grad student would want to help me stay organized for some extra spending money than a competent insightful coach would want to become a coach. If you can afford enough money to pay someone gifted at coaching, it is a good idea or if you have patience to try out a few dozen before settling on one, it also makes sense. The problem is similar to internet dating. Its far more attractive to the cheater or lazy selfish person to have an endless supply of fresh meat than it is likely that one well meaning nice person will find another nice person. To find that good coach, you'll need to sort through a lot of wannabees and predators. I'm sticking with assistants and using something like david allen's getting things done. Coaching at the higest levels works, but I think most self proclaimed coaches are likely wannabees who couldn't make it in their respective fields. I dont want someone who can relate to me; I want someone with different skill sets who can help me do what I can't do on my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to rek101 For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (10-14-12)
Old 10-14-12, 05:37 PM

Thanked 21,936 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Addproud,

I don't know what format you're using but it makes all sorts of crap appear is we try and quote you.

I look at your list of things coaches do and find myself a bit unnerved. Unspecified, 1,2,and 3, on your list are the kind of things trained professionals in psychotherapy do, coaches are not trained therapeutically and it seems to me to be, if what you say is true a potential for practicing without a license. Coaches are not trained therapists, telling them your deep dark secrets is not appropriate. Perhaps your list is overstating what a coach can offer?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-14-12), sarek (10-15-12)
Old 10-15-12, 02:57 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Verile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of lightVerile is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
true a potential for practicing without a license. Coaches are not trained therapists, telling them your deep dark secrets is not appropriate.
I feel the same way about therapists; having a license doesn't make it any more appealing to expose myself to someone.

L-methylfolate resurrected my soul. Details.
Old 10-15-12, 03:30 AM

Thanked 21,936 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verile View Post
I feel the same way about therapists; having a license doesn't make it any more appealing to expose myself to someone.
I hear you but if the problem is causing you suffering.. I'd rather someone be trained in dealing with it than someone playing therapist.
Old 10-15-12, 04:05 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Fair enough. But then again, given my personal experience with therapists and Pdocs, I'm not sure how high they really set the bar.

I can see why someone might prefer a life coach, someone with actual life experience who has gotten his hands dirty and put his theories to the test. It's like hiring a Sensei, a wizened teacher who will share pearls of wisdom with you.

As opposed to a therapist who, more often than not, comes from a good background and got through college on his parent's dime. He's book smart and is up to date on all the academic literature but you can't relate to him. He understands in the clinical sense but he doesn't really understand because he's never experienced your pain. He listens and sympathizes but his advice sounds shallow and rehearsed.

I'm generalizing. I'm not saying it's always like this but I can see why someone might prefer one to the other. A life coach could just as easily be a con artist and a therapist could certainly have chosen his profession because his life struggles were so demanding and he truly feels he has the experience and knowledge to save his patients.

L-methylfolate resurrected my soul. Details.