ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 12-19-09, 01:37 PM
Contributor

ToadysFroggy will become famous soon enough
Re: Love ADD learning disabilities and respect

Excel, am so happy for you, just like everyone else, you deserve to love and be able to share love with someone else! I can't think of a better holiday gift that you could give to yourself, a new-found love and a love for yourself!

Nurture this love, help it grow! It will also come back and help you grow!

I just got diagnosed with ADD last fall at almost 43 and suspect I have had it all my life. I told my husband about my limitations and to try to be patient with me. He still gets frustrated but not as often. I have also noticed lately, maybe because I am aware of more symptoms in myself, that he seems to have ADD too. I could no longer go through life compensating for all of my "short-comings" and he doesn't feel it is necessary to be medicated for his, so I sought treatment. I am doing much better than I did a year ago, but I still have a ways to go!

We work together. I turned over most of my finances to him when I realized I could not. But I did recently open a small bank account so I will have a place for my Social Security Checks to be deposited. I want to prove mostly to myself, and to him, I can start taking back my life. Everything is now in Quicken (even balanced down to the penny), including an account I created which I call Self-imposed savings...it is where I dump the loose change I empty out of my wallet each Friday!

Good luck to you! We are all on your side!
excel (12-19-09), Layla771 (07-28-10)
Old 12-28-09, 01:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,052 Times in 626 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Everyone should be loved and respected. We all have feelings
Old 12-30-09, 03:02 AM

addkauai is an unknown quantity at this point

That is EXCELent! I am happy you found true love. Any relationship is hard and it takes a lot of work. You have the right attitude IMO, seek help soon, don't let things fester. Communication is key. I was married for 11 years and I know my ADD was partly responsible for the break up. In the end it's alright, I have a girlfriend that is more understanding and sweeter. I also have a wonderful son who is my world. Don't worry about not being a master of any one thing, I am not good at anything either but at least we are well rounded.
The Following User Says Thank You to addkauai For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-09, 01:36 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

I hope 2010 is better than 2009
Old 01-12-10, 07:40 PM

addkauai is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too. 2009 was one of the hardest years of my life, things are already looking up though.
Old 01-15-10, 12:16 PM

I don't know what to think about 2010
Old 01-15-10, 02:13 PM
Contributor

ToadysFroggy will become famous soon enough

Excel, how is your relationship going? how is your relationship with yourself going? are you being good to yourself?

Don't project, take things one day at a time!
Old 01-20-10, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadysFroggy View Post
Excel, how is your relationship going? how is your relationship with yourself going? are you being good to yourself?

Don't project, take things one day at a time!
Going good. I am good to myself. I am hard on myself
Old 06-09-10, 02:39 PM

what is the mening of love
Old 06-09-10, 03:20 PM
Contributor

barnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nice

In what way are you asking?
Old 06-10-10, 01:02 PM

deladaisy is on a distinguished road

2009 was very hard for me. And so was the beginning of of 2010. But get one thing right, and then another and then everything seems to fall into place. With ADD/ADHDers that initial one thing, whatever it may be, appears so far away that it is almost impossible. But remember it's still there waiting for you to begin taking the other road!

I've been in a relationship for the last 3 years, but it has been anything but stable. Even though I've always mentally had respect for my partner, I've never been able to prove it. In fact I would do the opposite by getting frustrated, living in my fantasy world, doing/saying hurtful things etc. Over the last few months I've taken the necessary time and energy to fix this beautiful relationship I have and things are going so well.

Things don't stay bad forever. It's physically and worldly impossible. Remember that my friends!
Old 06-10-10, 02:25 PM
Contributor

barnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladaisy View Post
2009 was very hard for me. And so was the beginning of of 2010. But get one thing right, and then another and then everything seems to fall into place. With ADD/ADHDers that initial one thing, whatever it may be, appears so far away that it is almost impossible. But remember it's still there waiting for you to begin taking the other road!

I've been in a relationship for the last 3 years, but it has been anything but stable. Even though I've always mentally had respect for my partner, I've never been able to prove it. In fact I would do the opposite by getting frustrated, living in my fantasy world, doing/saying hurtful things etc. Over the last few months I've taken the necessary time and energy to fix this beautiful relationship I have and things are going so well.

Things don't stay bad forever. It's physically and worldly impossible. Remember that my friends!
Great point to make about that "starting point."
Its the beginning that is so impossible. However once we adhd'ers actually start I feel like we operate exponentially better than those "normal" people.

Great to hear about your relationship!
The Following User Says Thank You to barnops For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10)
Old 06-11-10, 09:15 PM

everyone desserves to be loved and respected
Old 07-06-10, 10:25 AM

If you don't get respect fight for it
Old 07-19-10, 10:34 AM

we need to respect one another