ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-18, 12:09 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,978 Times in 14,785 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What will it take? Food addiction!

Fuzzy I know I have said this before but you cant have any food in the house that you tend to binge on. No sweets, no carby stuff. Your husband will have to deal with it, if he loves you he will. There is no alcohol in our house. My son who is nearly 22 has some hidden where I cant find it and am guaranteed to never have to look at it or deal with it. When my husband and son partake rarely, they rinse the cups, they wash them and they put them away. It had to be that way. Yes, I am the alcoholic and in theory "they shouldnt have to be deprived because I cant have it". No one needs alcohol. Its not deprivation, its survival for this wife and mom. Its my health, and liver and life. Same for you. Fuzzling and hubby do not need sweets or carby stuff. They will do just fine without them. If hubby wants something you cant control having, he can go out and have it, or if you two get take away or go out, he can have it but it must be thrown away when the meal is over if its not finished. I believe this is the only way for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Trying very hard to resist the chocolate biscuits in the cupboard so instead I had 6 slices of bread with stuff. 6!!!

I thought I could approach this the way I approached quitting smoking but somehow I'm not approaching anything at all.

I wanted to tell the gp yesterday but couldn't get myself to. I did mention my eating habits have become horrible and asked if I could have a general check up done. She didn't ask me any further questions but did agree to a blood test.

How did I quit smoking? I didn't. For about 3 weeks after my quit date I continues smoking. Then I started vaping. For about 2 weeks. Then we went on holiday with my parents who didn't know I smoked so I couldn't anyway. After that I exercised like crazy whenever I got restless. Is there anyway I can translate this to dealing with my food addiction?

It seems so doable now. Now that I'm feeling sick from eating 6 huge slices of bread. I always wake up with the best of intentions but they never last long. I don't even need to get hungry. I just need to not feel sick to start binge eating.

My BMI has actually crossed 30. I'm officially obese now.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-30-18), Fuzzy12 (01-30-18), Pilgrim (02-21-18), Unmanagable (01-30-18)
Old 01-30-18, 06:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Underlying condition like depression?
Yes. Let me start with
  • I am not a Doc,
  • I do not really know you, and
  • my knothole through the fence perspective is very limited.
  • OTOH;
Based on your recent posts and possible overlaps w/ ADHD there may be quite a few symptoms for depression.

Regards, -Tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-30-18), Fuzzy12 (01-30-18), Little Missy (01-30-18)
Old 01-30-18, 06:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,899 Times in 13,806 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Fuzzy I know I have said this before but you cant have any food in the house that you tend to binge on. No sweets, no carby stuff. Your husband will have to deal with it, if he loves you he will. There is no alcohol in our house. My son who is nearly 22 has some hidden where I cant find it and am guaranteed to never have to look at it or deal with it. When my husband and son partake rarely, they rinse the cups, they wash them and they put them away. It had to be that way. Yes, I am the alcoholic and in theory "they shouldnt have to be deprived because I cant have it". No one needs alcohol. Its not deprivation, its survival for this wife and mom. Its my health, and liver and life. Same for you. Fuzzling and hubby do not need sweets or carby stuff. They will do just fine without them. If hubby wants something you cant control having, he can go out and have it, or if you two get take away or go out, he can have it but it must be thrown away when the meal is over if its not finished. I believe this is the only way for you.
I know you are right. I'll have a word with hubs.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-18, 06:59 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Yes. Let me start with
  • I am not a Doc,
  • I do not really know you, and
  • my knothole through the fence perspective is very limited.
  • OTOH;
Based on your recent posts and possible overlaps w/ ADHD there may be quite a few symptoms for depression.

Regards, -Tom
I'm not depressed Tom. Just stressed and very, very tired. And who knows. I might have ADHD after all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-21-18)
Old 01-30-18, 07:20 PM

Thanked 21,257 Times in 11,388 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Something is awry.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-05-18), Pilgrim (02-21-18)
Old 02-05-18, 06:36 AM

br3akingchains is on a distinguished road

Hi Fuzzy!

Iím addicted to carbs too...love bread and soda, Iíll eat a whole loaf with a 2 liter if they let me. My friends call me a sugar monster.

One thing I did to curb all my sugar/carb cravings was to get on the ketogenic diet. I donít really have cravings anymore, when I do itís so tiny that itís controllable...knowing that even a bite of the wrong food can mess up ketosis for days is enough to help me abstain.
Keto helps because there isnít a blood sugar crash that followed the insulin spike that was triggered by overeating carbs. Blood sugar stays very steady and fats and proteins keep you fuller longer. I loved the videos I saw about keto on a YouTube channel called ďwhat Iíve learnedĒ

I also quit coffee during the months I was starting keto, that was dreadful. Caffeine withdrawal is real and can last many months. I wasnít aware I was addicted to caffeine or all the negative effects it was having on me. I recently started drinking again, to confirm that the depressed state I was in was in fact due to quitting caffeine, and to make a better plan for quitting again (weaning off it) or limiting myself to one cup a day.

I think most underestimate how much caffeine affects them. even regular use overtime builds tolerance and failing to re-dose in time makes people cranky and zaps will power.

I donít know how much coffee (if any at all) you drink per day but if you do drink multiple cups a day Iíd suggest trying to wean off to see if it helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to br3akingchains For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-05-18)
Old 02-21-18, 05:17 PM

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm not depressed Tom. Just stressed and very, very tired. And who knows. I might have ADHD after all.
Think you might. A high functioning one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-21-18)
Old 02-21-18, 10:51 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
fuzzbuster

for some reason I've always felt your posts strongly (who knows, could just be some projective process)

the confusion, self doubt (maybe some shame) , ups and downs ... just reminds me so much of my own emotional dysregulation and makes me so sad for you

fleeting glimpses of something just aint right...

they are very valid, and I think you are one of the most courageous people I've had to the pleasure to meet. the way you put your feelings on display

you have ADHD, that's obvious. but diagnosing isnt my job. What i do know is sometimes your emotions cause you to suffer. they cause me to suffer too

you arent alone
aeon (02-21-18), Fuzzy12 (02-22-18), Little Missy (02-21-18)
Old 02-24-18, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I
I've put on about 4kg in the last few weeks and I've just had a freaking box of brownies.
Seriously. What should I do?

Rhaponticum carthamoides

Start exercising the biggest muscles - butts, tighs, pecs, arms in the easiest and most fun way you can, even if for 5 mins a day.

And send me a thank you post when you get fit

Last edited by namazu; 02-24-18 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Please, no links to commercial websites.
The Following User Says Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-24-18)
Old 02-24-18, 05:48 PM

Dave thanks!!

User guide welcome back. It's good to see you!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-26-18), userguide (02-24-18)