ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-18, 08:49 PM
Jr Member

memtigers1996 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall Addiction

I do have a good job and I get paid a lot. I don’t really know what my insurance offers regarding rehab or substance abuse services. I guess I need to look into that. I only took 120mg today and I’m already going through withdrawals. I’ve been sleeping most of the day bc I’ve felt so tired and haven’t felt like doing anything. How long is that feeling going to last for as I keep decreasing the dosage?
The Following User Says Thank You to memtigers1996 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 01:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,210 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, you are jumping ahead, too far, with too little information.

Go talk to a psychiatrist who specializes in substance addiction.

I have read several reports of people coming off high-dose Adderall and their psychiatrists just gradually lowered their dose ... like over a serious period of time ... no residential rehab. Those programs have a much more mixed picture than people suppose.

Go to talk to a good doctor and share your story. You'll get options for stopping and ... the doctor will most likely want to taper you down gradually ... so that your body and brain can adjust over time ... Most likely you and your doctor ca agree to some form of accountability so that he knows you really are following the gradual decrease ...

And dude, if you don't taper down, you're gonna lose your job and your life. So just take a step and assume there is a way you can do this without losing your job ... Of course, you're scared and terrified. But that will lessen over time as you get a good treatment program ... nobody said anything about cold-turkey.

Tone
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 07:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,044 Times in 14,821 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by memtigers1996 View Post
I do have a good job and I get paid a lot. I donít really know what my insurance offers regarding rehab or substance abuse services. I guess I need to look into that. I only took 120mg today and Iím already going through withdrawals. Iíve been sleeping most of the day bc Iíve felt so tired and havenít felt like doing anything. How long is that feeling going to last for as I keep decreasing the dosage?
Ok so you have a good job and make a lot of money.... and you havent checked out what kind of addiction help thats offered? You cant keep this up, you know this but how willing are you to stop? Based on what I see here, you dont seem that willing. I say this as an alcoholic in recovery. Until the pain gets great enough you wont change. Where are you getting the adderall from?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-18, 11:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I see from another thread you mention writing fake prescriptions. Is that what you do?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-05-18, 02:32 PM
Jr Member

No... but I know people who have.
The Following User Says Thank You to memtigers1996 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 04:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,264 Times in 11,393 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No... but I know people who have.
Are you at work?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 03-05-18, 04:41 PM

lntense is on a distinguished road

At least you've admitted that you have a problem and that you want to move forward with addressing it.

At 300mg a day, think of your health and what could possible come of that long term. Your best bet may be to check yourself in to rehab. A lot of the time insurance will cover it. In the mean time you can also tell your doctor that it's not working for you and to cease prescribing it.

You legally can't lose your job for going to rehab btw. Especially if it is a known corporation. If it's a small company then you would have a lawsuit that you more than likely could win if they fire you for it. I know how some are though and will often find "other" means to get rid of you. If rehab isn't an option then maybe taper off and start going to NA meetings.
The Following User Says Thank You to lntense For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 05:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
I do have a good job and I get paid a lot. I donít really know what my insurance offers regarding rehab or substance abuse services. I guess I need to look into that. I only took 120mg today and Iím already going through withdrawals. Iíve been sleeping most of the day bc Iíve felt so tired and havenít felt like doing anything. How long is that feeling going to last for as I keep decreasing the dosage?
Honestly, if you have enough $, then you can just call any psychiatrist or psychotherapist in town that accepts self-paying patients, and set up an appointment asap.

Unfortunately, I don't know how long the feeling of tiredness will last. 300 mg/day is a *HUGE* dose! There was a time about a year ago when I got a bit apathetic about taking my meds. I was prescribed 40 mg/day, and when I abruptly stopped taking it, the first two or three days I felt bone-dead tired and slept probably about 15 hours/day. Afterwards, the tiredness went away. Obviously, your situation is a lot different than mine, so I'm not sure there's much info that you can extrapolate from my situation.
Old 03-05-18, 08:35 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Are you at work?

No i am not at work. Why?
Old 03-08-18, 04:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

OP you say you want to change but are unwilling to take the steps necessary to change. If you could do it on your own you would have by now.

I carried a watermelon?