ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Can AD(H)D medication be as harmful as “street drugs”, if abused?
Yes 12 75.00%
No 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-18, 04:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,202 Times in 904 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: Can AD(H)D medication be as harmful as “street drugs”, if abused?

Quote:
Is It Harmful?

Although the substance has the ability to improve symptoms of ADHD and help manage narcolepsy, Dexedrine abuse can be very harmful to the user. In fact, its potential for harm is indicated by the drug’s status as a Schedule II controlled substance (as determined by the Drug Enforcement Administration), which means that while the drug has therapeutic benefits, it carries the risk of abuse 1.

Dexedrine’s powerful stimulant effects should be closely monitored, even when the substance is being used as prescribed. To be sure, the drug’s potential for harm increases dramatically when it is abused. As with other prescription drugs, Dexedrine can be abused by 3:

Taking more of the substance than directed.
Taking the drug more frequently than indicated.
Taking the substance without a valid prescription.
Taking the substance to get high.

drugabuse.com

M
Old 03-23-18, 05:26 PM

Thanked 25,716 Times in 11,997 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I want emphasis that a person who has a physical deficiency associated with AD(H)D, taking as directed is not abusing.

But it is not only about impurities.

If a person who does not have a physical deficiency associated with AD(H)D, takes their friends AD(H)D medication as it is directed on the label, is harmful, because they do not have AD(H)D.

AD(H)D medications are very powerful life changing medication, that can be beneficial if the person has a physical deficiency associated with AD(H)D, but can really mess up a person’s brain, if the person does not have a physical deficiency associated with AD(H)D.

Edit , It is not a perfect analogy, but if a person who has diabetes (insulin deficiency) takes insulin as directed, is very beneficial. But if a person who does not have diabetes (does not have insulin deficiency) takes insulin as directed on the label, it is harmful.

M
Maybe you missed my earlier response to this post.

I would appreciate your sharing any information about stimulant meds
"messing up" the brain if the person does not have ADHD.

Edit: unless you meant non-adhd brains and the abuse of stimulant meds.
Abusing these meds will mess up anyone's brain.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-23-18, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Maybe you missed my earlier response to this post.

I would appreciate your sharing any information about stimulant meds
"messing up" the brain if the person does not have ADHD.

Edit: unless you meant non-adhd brains and the abuse of stimulant meds.
Abusing these meds will mess up anyone's brain.
Taking AD(H)D medication if the person does not have a prescription to treat AD(H)D, narcolepsy, etc, is drug abuse.

People who have AD(H)D have a chemical deficiency, so the medication changes our brain in a way that helps us. (Not saying there are no side effects but the positive outweigh the negatives, in my case anyway)

If a person does not have AD(H)D, taking AD(H)D medication will change their brain.

That is why it is harmful to take stimulants that are used treat AD(H)D, if a person does not have AD(H)D.

Some people might also have other medical issues that AD(H)D medication might make worse, that is a additional reason why people should not take AD(H)D medication without a doctors support.

(I am reading an article about the effects of stimulants on the brain, used to treat AD(H)D, based on molecular science, the molecular science is a new topic for me, so I would like to get a better understanding of the molecular research before I post it)

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-23-18 at 06:08 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-18, 06:07 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Taking AD(H)D medication if the person does not have a prescription to treat AD(H)D, narcolepsy, etc, is drug abuse.

People who have AD(H)D have a chemical deficiency, so the medication changes our brain in a way that helps us. (Not saying there are no side effects but the positive outweigh the negatives, in my case anyway)

If a person does not have AD(H)D, taking AD(H)D medication will change there brain.

That is why it is harmful to take stimulants that are used treat AD(H)D, if a person does not have AD(H)D.

Some people might also have other medical issues that AD(H)D medication might make worse, that is another reason why people should not take AD(H)D medication without a doctors support.

(I am reading an article about the effects of AD(H)D stimulant on the brain, based on molecular science, the molecular science is a new topic for me, so I would like to get a better understanding of the molecular research before I post it)

M
You are making this statement before you understand it, or know it to be true?

Is the article you're reading online? Maybe I could read it as well?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-23-18, 06:14 PM

Quote:
You are making this statement before you understand it, or know it to be true?

Is the article you're reading online? Maybe I could read it as well?
Start with the quote and link I posted in post #31. (check out the notes at the bottom of the article as well)

Everything I have posted so far is supported in the quote and/or link, in post #31.

Example

Quote:
...As with other prescription drugs, Dexedrine can be abused by:

Taking more of the substance than directed.
Taking the drug more frequently than indicated.
Taking the substance without a valid prescription.
Taking the substance to get high.
I want to make sure the article I am reading based on molecular science, is accurate to this discussion before I post it.

M
Old 03-23-18, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Start with the link I posted in post #31. (check out the notes at the bottom of the article as well)

M
The link isn't working as a link?

Old 03-23-18, 06:31 PM

Quote:
The link isn't working as a link?
https://www.printfriendly.com/p/g/SzwWHJ

Also see article references..

Quote:
References:

U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (2015). Dexedrine.
U.S. National Library of Medicine: MedlinePlus. (2016). Dextroamphetamine.
National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teens. (2016). Prescription Stimulant Medications (Amphetamines).
National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2014). Drug Facts: Stimulant ADHD Medications: Methylphenidate and Amphetamines.
National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2014). Research Report Series: Misuse of Prescription Drugs.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2015). Behavioral Health Trends in the United States: Results from the 2014 National Survey on Drug Use and Health.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2001). Treatment for Stimulant Use Disorders: Quick Guide for Clinicians.
National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2016). What to Do If Your Adult Friend or Loved One Has a Problem with Drugs.
National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2016). Drug Facts: Treatment Approaches for Drug Addiction.
National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2012). Principles of Drug AddictionTreatment: A Research-Based Guide.

M

Last edited by peripatetic; 03-23-18 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Quote consistency
Old 03-23-18, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Google

Effects of Dexedrine abuse

M
How would I know I'm reading the same thing you're referring to?

Old 03-23-18, 06:40 PM

Quote:
How would I know I'm reading the same thing you're referring to?

M

Last edited by peripatetic; 03-23-18 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: Made link acceptable per guidelines
Old 03-23-18, 06:57 PM

Quote:

M
Thanks for the link, but that seems to mostly be addressing abuse of Dexedrine.

It doesn't answer my question.

I was asking if you have information about stimulant meds "messing up" the
brain in people who don't have adhd, since you said that happens. What are
you basing that opinion on? Help me understand.

Last edited by peripatetic; 03-23-18 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: Quite consistency
Old 03-23-18, 08:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

OP, can you clarify what information you're trying to get out of your question? It seems that this thread has devolved into a battle of the dictionary.
Old 03-23-18, 08:25 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Non-ADHDers who are prescribed and take clinical doses of dextroamphetamine usually experience gains...which is why those who take it, take it...to enhance performance.

Does that mess up their brain? Well, the decades of prescribed clinical use of dextroamphetamine in non-ADHDers would seem to suggest it does not.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Adenosine (03-31-18), Little Missy (03-23-18)
Old 03-24-18, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Non-ADHDers who are prescribed and take clinical doses of dextroamphetamine usually experience gains...which is why those who take it, take it...to enhance performance.

Does that mess up their brain? Well, the decades of prescribed clinical use of dextroamphetamine in non-ADHDers would seem to suggest it does not.

Cheers,
Ian
What are the all reasons to possibly be prescribed dextroamphetamine?

M
Old 03-24-18, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
OP, can you clarify what information you're trying to get out of your question? It seems that this thread has devolved into a battle of the dictionary.
Can AD(H)D medication be as harmful as “street drugs”, if abused?

M
Old 03-24-18, 04:20 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,936 Times in 14,760 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think alot of it has to do with abuse potential. The potential to abuse street drugs is much higher than prescription drugs.

I carried a watermelon?