ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-18, 12:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: self medicating

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
Well I guess what I was thinking is Does the distinction matter. Using an illegal drug is what it is. And youíll become addicted either way
Does it "matter"? I guess it depends who you ask. Obviously, taking drugs illegally is illegal, regardless of *why* you are doing it.

From a medical treatment standpoint, I think the distinction provides useful insight. People who take drugs to get high tend to engage in drug seeking behavior that looks a lot different from people who take drugs for therapeutic reasons.

Case in point, millions of Americans take amphetamines *for* ADHD, and they are able to maintain stable, long term dosages. People who are taking it *for* euphoria keep having to increase the dose, and they get addicted.

It's pretty easy to tell the difference between someone who takes 30mg Adderall a day for several years versus someone who has only been on Adderall for a couple months and thinks they now "need" 200mg per day due to "tolerance."
Old 05-27-18, 01:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,310 Times in 5,522 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I worded it wrong Charles. I’m not talking prescription meds. That’s not usually what people refer to with self medicating. That’s actually a doctor medicating you

Do you have personal experience with this? It’s quite complicated and not black and white
namazu (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 02:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
I guess I worded it wrong Charles. Iím not talking prescription meds. Thatís not usually what people refer to with self medicating. Thatís actually a doctor medicating you
Oh, I see. I thought maybe you were talking something along the lines of getting Adderall from a friend.

Quote:
Do you have personal experience with this?
No, but I've tried my best to learn what the scientific literature says about abuse of stimulant drugs, since there is so much media hype about it.

Quote:
Itís quite complicated and not black and white
Definitely! I was just summarizing my best understanding of the issue.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-18, 03:12 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a sloppy communicator.

I’m speaking of things other than approved treatment

I’ll better try to communicate what I’m trying to say in a bit

It’s right at the tip of my frontal lobe lol
Lunacie (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 03:13 PM

I did have a point. Lol
Little Missy (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 05:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Iím a sloppy communicator.
Don't be hard on yourself

I'm guessing that the forum rules might have made you reluctant to describe things more specifically?

Do you think that your medical needs are being met currently?
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Don't be hard on yourself

I'm guessing that the forum rules might have made you reluctant to describe things more specifically?

Do you think that your medical needs are being met currently?
Yea forums rules make it tough

As far as I go. Thanks for the concern. But youíll find Iím a straight shooter. If I was reaching out with an issue Iíd blurt it out

My curiosity is more with science and self medicating. The types. Just getting blitzed to dissociate. Or using a consistent drug through the day like actual medicine

Why certain drugs tend to relieve certain symptoms in certain people

I noticed an online exchange elsewhere where a supposed recovery ďexpertĒ was shaming someone who was prescribed opiates for treatment resistance depression

With the cliche. Of course you feel better. Your high. But is it the case? And is that different from other mental health meds.

Iím putting together what Iím trying to say a little better. Lemme think more. Yea I know that can be dangerous
Little Missy (05-28-18), namazu (05-28-18), psychopathetic (05-28-18)
Old 05-28-18, 10:41 AM

Thanked 26,088 Times in 12,175 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yea forums rules make it tough

As far as I go. Thanks for the concern. But youíll find Iím a straight shooter. If I was reaching out with an issue Iíd blurt it out

My curiosity is more with science and self medicating. The types. Just getting blitzed to dissociate. Or using a consistent drug through the day like actual medicine

Why certain drugs tend to relieve certain symptoms in certain people

I noticed an online exchange elsewhere where a supposed recovery ďexpertĒ was shaming someone who was prescribed opiates for treatment resistance depression

With the cliche. Of course you feel better. Your high. But is it the case? And is that different from other mental health meds.

Iím putting together what Iím trying to say a little better. Lemme think more. Yea I know that can be dangerous
Yeah, I think different drugs have different effects on people,

depending on what's going on with their body chemistry.

Depression is a downer, the chemicals aren't balanced properly.

If opiates helps to reset those chemicals and get them balanced,

as long as it's being taken under a doctor's supervision,

there should be no shame.

Is it risky? Heck yeah. It's easy to get hooked on the way they make you feel.

But not everyone is going to keep increasing the dose to hold onto that feeling.

So does the opiate get that person with treatment resistant depression "high"?

Or does it just balance them so they feel fine, able to get on with life?

The same kind of shame that some heap on people with adhd

for taking Adderall (meth) just to get "high".

Nope, it's to balance the chemicals and make us feel fine, able to live well.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-29-18)
Old 05-29-18, 04:57 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

I can't speak from only ADHD but I can speak from my own experience.

I've had a couple periods in my life where I was practically an alcoholic. Along with various OTC meds that I'd use to literally make myself pass out because I could NOT SLEEP EVER. I'd be awake for days on end. And my brain would never shut up. I had to do SOMETHING to make it stop. Somehow I maintained the ability to stop using the alcohol perfectly fine. That's the only thing separating me from an alcoholic. I socially drink every so often but not a bottle of vodka a night.

Keep in mind I have mixed episodes or whatever they call them these days. So while I was "depressed" I was also "manic" and apparently ADHD. My brain was a ceaseless loud speaker of my failures and faults going on and on at high speeds. All day. All night. There were some really dark nights. Really f-ing dark.

And I SI but I won't go into that in case it might trigger someone. That went amazingly some nights for me.

Now I'm purely (alright, mostly) doctor prescribed drugs.

I *think* this post is okay because it's talking about legal drugs acquired in a legal manner. If not, just delete meh.
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-29-18)
Old 05-29-18, 11:11 PM

Thanked 34,110 Times in 15,441 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i was medicated for adhd for a long time. i'm not currently, but i have self medicated for a number of things.

right now i'm just scattered because it is what it is.

i used to drink a lot and play incredibly loud music to drown out the voices. i also tried smoking a lot of weed. whether that helped is debatable at best. probably not.

i'm completely at the mercy of my medications though. i don't know where that line of self medicating lay. i have to take a lot of **** to be functional and even that's not what you'd call high functioning. i'm still getting ****ty inventory/functioning scores.

it sucks. if i could self medicate it away, i 100% would. instead these meds have side effects. but that's another topic. sorry for the digression. xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-29-18), Lunacie (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 12:03 AM

Man I just read a good article and can’t find it

The old thought was always treat substance before mental illness

Now this study links certain drugs addiction to particular mental illness and appropriate treatment can stop the substance abuse alone
Lunacie (05-30-18), peripatetic (05-30-18), psychopathetic (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 12:05 AM

Thanked 34,110 Times in 15,441 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now this study links certain drugs addiction to particular mental illness and appropriate treatment can stop the substance abuse alone
i think there's totally a link between cigarettes and psychosis. at least for me. i just can't seem to smoke enough. but treat the disorder and i have no desire for smoking cigarettes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-30-18), Lunacie (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 12:17 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,413 Times in 7,672 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
i think there's totally a link between cigarettes and psychosis. at least for me. i just can't seem to smoke enough. but treat the disorder and i have no desire for smoking cigarettes.
Off topic lol sorry...I'm just jumping in not having read much

But I really hate how all the mental health facilities have become smoke free in my state.
I'm talking about hospitals.

Don't get me wrong...I don't smoke personally anymore, and I'm a big supporter of quitting...and I'm glad that almost everywhere else is becoming smoke free...

But dang! People go to these hospitals under enough stress...then you're going to take their smoking from them?
It just seems like such a horrible idea to me.
Years back when I went to my local hospital a couple of times, there was designated places where we could go and smoke, and once ever few hours the staff would take us.
But not any more. The entire state has really cracked down on it.

Okay...I'm done with my ramble

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 05-31-18, 12:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what you are medicating IMO. I self medicated my mood and to take the pain away, not to treat anything. Sure if it happened to help that was a bonus but I medicated to alter my mood with mood altering substances.

I carried a watermelon?