ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-03-11, 11:14 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

anonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to behold
ADHD with Depression & Anxiety - Finally found a combo that works

Hey all,

After spending the last year riding an absolute rollercoaster of mental health madness, I finally found a combination that seems to work.

I started on Adderall in July of last year and felt amazing for about four months. After the initial "euphoric" effects of the medication wore off, I fell into the worst depression imaginable, complete with Adderall-enchanced anxiety to boot. All of the focus I got from the stimulant meds didn't mean a thing when the only thing I could concentrate on was negatives and irrational worry. Long story short, I tried numerous medications and re-evaluated my diagnosis with multiple psychiatrists and therapists. The outcome was a confirmation of a ADHD diagnosis, but with depression and anxiety. While I was pretty sure I was bipolar or losing my mind, it turned out that Adderall had initially treated long-standing depression as well as ADHD, and the treatment of those two issues led to a decrease in my anxiety. Unfortunately, as it often does, Adderall's antidepressant effects weakened and I ended up falling into a severe depression as the meds increased my anxiety and made me disconnect from my life.

After trying Adderall with Propanalol, Adderall with Effexor, just Effexor, Adderall with Abilify, Adderall with Wellbutrin and a number of other combinations, I finally settled on a daily regimen of:

20mg Adderall XR at 8:00am
100mg of Zoloft at 8:00am
150 mg of Wellbutrin at 8:00am
10mg Adderall IR at 5:00pm

This has been pretty good. I get a little agitated in the morning and unfortunately have started smoking again, but my months of misery seem to be over and I'm getting back to my life. If you have ADHD with depression and anxiety, I strongly recommend this combination - I tried Adderall with just Wellbutrin (too anxious, amped) and just Zoloft (too lethargic, disinterested) but the combination of the three has been really positive. If anyone else has been on this combination. chime in and let me know how it worked for you or other combinations that worked - I'm on week 3 of my second go-round with Wellbutrin and would like to hear how other people did on these meds.

Thanks!
Jesse
Old 05-03-11, 12:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough
Re: ADHD with Depression & Anxiety - Finally found a combo that works

how long you been on this combo? the key is how long does the combo effectiviness last...unfortunately I havent ever find one that passes the test of time (>1yr)
Old 05-03-11, 01:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

HiddenHermit has a spectacular aura aboutHiddenHermit has a spectacular aura about

Lol, smoking is habitual for a lot of people who have AD/HD, don't fret too much about it. Just concentrate on working out this combo and being sure its "perfect." Then worry about quitting smoking, (if thats what you want to do).

Dx: AD/HD Combined (ADHD + Mania)
Meds: 100mg Trileptal + Adderall 10mg IR + Xanax 0.25mg
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-11, 02:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

anonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to behold

I've been on Zoloft with Adderall for about two months, but I had no energy and just felt drained and blunted. I had reservations about adding Wellbutrin because it skyrocketed my anxiety and gave me mood swings, but the combination with Zoloft has been pretty good. It also took care of most of the negative sexual side effects of Zoloft. This is week #3 of Wellbutrin combined with Zoloft.

The only downside to this combo for me has been TMJ. I grind my teeth at night and Wellbutrin + Adderall makes this much worse. I'm hoping that once I get used to the Wellbutrin I'll stop trying to gnaw the bottom half of my jaw off, it gets bad to the point where I get headaches and can feel the poor, tortured joint throb in my ear. I have a mouthguard but it still wears on your jaw.

Wellbutrin makes me a little spacy, sort of messes with my short-term memory but has a good effect on my mood and energy level most of the time. Sometimes I feel like I'm just sort of coasting throughout the day and, for someone who's always had anxiety, that can be a pretty weird feeling. I don't ruminate as much and my social anxiety is much less than it used to be.
Old 05-03-11, 02:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by siglerja View Post
I've been on Zoloft with Adderall for about two months
my combo is similar....except I replaced the wellbutrin with more adderall....this way I have more control over the stimulant aspect and I use lexapro, zoloft didnt do much for me.
this combo has workd for me for 2 years...although there are times where it loses its efficacy and I end up just tweaking dosages here and there and it gets back up to normal again....I still feel more fatigued than a normal person would be...but if I try to surpass the fatigue with stims then its a wild swing over to anxiety and stress....dam middle stable line is very hard to be on
The Following User Says Thank You to kiosk For This Useful Post:
425runner (03-17-12)
Old 05-03-11, 03:20 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road

Did the zoloft relieve your depression while on Adderall?
My brain gets "fried" out pretty quick and my body gets use to stimulants very easily. Soo, the depression hits me real quick.
Right now im going to try
Mirapax
Zoloft
Adderall XR

OR

Zoloft
Desoxyn
Old 05-03-11, 03:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Running and exercise win over the need for man made adrenaline . Otherwise wellbutrin helps , alot too.., it will blunt creativity and memory though. It also keeps you on task.... Whats more important, it's up too you? I never could manage ssri s ... Too much apathy, beta blocker or tenex xr.
Old 05-03-11, 04:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Zoloft did little for my depression but really helped my anxiety. Wellbutrin energized me and helped a lot with the depression and mood. Just Zoloft was way too blunting and I felt lower because all I wanted to do was sit around and mope.

Wellbutrin actually helped remove some of the blunting effects of Zoloft, and from Adderall. It makes me feel edgy at times and irritated, but overall it works if I just catch myself before I melt down on someone.

Anyone else have success with other medications for anxiety?
Old 05-03-11, 05:19 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I agree with you. Sounds like classic ADHD. Stims plus wellbutrin+? So far my only two options are Prozac which gave me the same apathy as all serotonin agents or intuniv. Intuniv lowers sympathetic tone, thus eliminating distraction, thus decreasing anxiety.
Old 05-03-11, 07:03 PM

mattskate19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
I agree with you. Sounds like classic ADHD. Stims plus wellbutrin+? So far my only two options are Prozac which gave me the same apathy as all serotonin agents or intuniv. Intuniv lowers sympathetic tone, thus eliminating distraction, thus decreasing anxiety.
Weird.
SSRI work on everybody soo different I guess il try wellbutrin first then a SSRI.
Or both?
Old 05-03-11, 07:11 PM

Probably man. Wellbutrin with stims equals good success. Not full symptom control though. Prozac has been the mildest ssri that I have been on. None have been good. Intuniv has more of an effect but when I stopped I felt so horrible for a few days??? Is intuniv dangerous?
Old 05-03-11, 07:43 PM

Isaac87 is on a distinguished road

Hello guys currently on --
Dextroamphetamine 20mg/IR Twice A Day (am&pm)
Zoloft 100mg/Once A Day (am)

I am 24yr Old Male, Adhd + Depression + Anxiety (Social Anxiety)
No job, no money, no car, major debt, my lifes a wreck but im still hangin in there :/
--

I felt that Adderall and generic adderall (Dextroamphetamine) do not work equally the same, i feel that Adderall (75% Dextro, 25% Levo) worked alot better for me in the fact that i felt it put a fire under my ***, thats my biggest downfall with aDD(Inattentive Type). I need motivation and the Dextroamphetamine doesnt do it for me as much. But it does help me focus and concentrate to a certain extent.

As for the Zoloft, i just recently got on it 8 days ago, im hoping that i will work inconjuction with the dextro's to help give me motivation. But more so depression and anxiety. Zoloft is primarily to help with depression but is known to help with anxiety too. There hasnt been any noticable changes lately with the zoloft but im hoping there will. Does anyone know How long i should expect the zoloft to show signs? A general guess?

Anyways whoever read this post thanks lol and i would like to hear your stories too!!
Old 05-03-11, 08:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Zoloft took me about a month to feel anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to anonuser999 For This Useful Post:
Isaac87 (05-03-11)
Old 05-03-11, 08:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Be careful with Wellbutrin and a stimulant med, though - If you have anxiety or mood problems, you might feel really agitated and anxious without a SSRI buffer.
Old 06-21-11, 09:06 PM

Callaw is on a distinguished road

About your smoking, I've seen a few recent studies - which were undertaken in support of the development of new ADHD and Alzheimer's drugs - indicating that nicotine can have very beneficial effects for ADHD'ers. Accordingly, as it turns out, you might say that your regimen is:

20mg Adderall XR at 8:00am
100mg of Zoloft at 8:00am
150 mg of Wellbutrin at 8:00am
10mg Adderall IR at 5:00pm
-> plus some amount of nicotine, as needed throughout the day!

I should mention that, after reviewing these studies and consulting a research neuropsychiatry with an second speciality in pharmacology, I tested the underlying theories of these studies myself, using gum or lowest-dose patches. It worked.

So, as long as you can keep your lungs out of it, your nicotine intake might not be such a bad thing!