ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-18, 07:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,126 Times in 13,883 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So I guess I have to do this without psychiatric help

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
i have a very different relationship with my psychiatrist than what it sounds like is even possible with yours. i'm sorry that your needs are being met. that's what it sounds like to me. i meet with my psychiatrist for a minimum thirty minutes at a time, but he will keep me up to an hour ...in june, when he hospitalised me he kept me for a full hour before deciding to commit me, for example. typically i would say i spend thirty to sixty minutes talking to him. i also do a pre-appointment questionnaire that asks about specific symptoms and how frequently they've occurred over the last two weeks.

i don't know. if i even breathe a word of having suicidal ideation or urges i get taken SUPER seriously. i remember at that appointment having this thought that, oh...****...he's going to commit me if i admit to it...i have to try and be deceptive now. and it was just exhausting such that he got to the point of asking if i had a plan and i was like, ****...i didn't want you to ask that question. i was 5150'ed immediately.

i have been seeing him for probably twelve to fifteen years, but i don't recall a time he wasn't thorough or ....he's always had a good "bedside manner".

i strongly encourage you to follow up on the therapy. maybe that's where you'll find inroads to getting some solid treatment. not all psychiatrists are just twenty minute pill filling sessions. but i can only go from my experience and my outpatient psychiatrists have tended to be fantastic. inpatient is another story...a more mixed bag, for sure.

what you describe seems like something that needs/demands addressing. if i told my psychiatrist that i had been suicidal he'd be all over that and i'm astonished that you were told you could call for a hotline number and not told to present yourself (PLEASE!) at the emergency room or other urgent care.

as for how to make those changes...do you run? we could plan to run x days per week for x amount of time per day. i'm pretty useless with other sporting activities, but i could always use an accountabilibuddy xx
I don't have a relationship with my psychiatrist. I met him for the second time yesterday and he told me that he isn't very familiar with my case history (and that he would study my notes if things haven't improved in twelve months to re-evaluate if ADHD really is my problem).

I considered telling him about the suicidal ideation that I have been having, and the intrusive thoughts and images but they are better now and there just wasn't the opportunity you know? I mean it's difficult to go from discussing why I can't cook up a healthy meal to this other stuff and there just wasn't enough time. Also, my suicidal ideation is so far from any intent that it seems a bit unfair to throw that out knowing they'll take it more seriously than they should (possibly..or maybe not. The last consultant wasn't too fussed about it.)

Apparently follow up appointments are thirty minutes but the problem is that I don't express myself very well. I keep jumping topics, talk too much about stuff that isn't important and then either forget or run out of time to discuss more important things. I downplay some things and fuss too much about others. Hubby always says that I'm really hard to understand and I know that some people, for example my GP, who is really lovely, just don't get me at all. I need a place like this, like addf, where I can put all my jumbled thoughts down in my own time and in my own way and others are kind enough to try to understand what I'm saying.

The crisis hotline thingy admittedly was bad. Apart from stupid it felt really callous. That was during the first appointment with the previous consultant whom I really couldn't stand. Every time I met him he sucked any remaining hope right out of me. I think he thought I was just a drama queen (in all fairness, I cried throughout our first appointment, and kept snapping at him. Two things I almost never do in public but i was in really bad shape. Anyway, i was pretty unpleasant so he probably thought I was just being difficult).

Sorry I'm just venting now I think. I don't think they take me seriously but maybe it's because I don't take myself very seriously. I mean even with the psychiatrist I feel like an imposter that's wasting his time when he should be dealing with patients that aren't just lazy or stupid or incompetent.

You are right. I should try to self refer myself to therapy. I'll call them tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (09-19-18)
Old 09-18-18, 08:10 PM

Thanked 10,761 Times in 5,798 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you need a new psychiatrist you n psychos both sound crummy
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-20-18)
Old 09-19-18, 06:30 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

Why do you want to do it without medications Fuzzy?
Taking help is not bad thing

If you worry about side effects
SSRIs would be really good choice for you

Actually i have been tolerating any medicine that i took

But SSRIs are really good in general
People experience less side effects

It can accelerate your progress in theraphy too

If you have some free time, i suggest you to do yoga

But do it as however you like no need instructions

Just clear your mind
Focus on the your most loved one in this life
Concentrate on your love only

You will feel that u are in some kind of trance situation

I know that you are hard working mom
But 10-15 minutes enough

By the way my suggestions arent like
Chose one of them
More like use all of them

Air Nomad Guru Laghima
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-20-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-18, 10:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,269 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to take the lead and self refer yourself to therapy and not wait for a doctor to suggest it. Since you do not want meds and you didnt think you communicated well AND you feel that your doc didnt listen its time to take an active role in your mental health care. A coward avoid and hides there head in the sand because they are scared. Courage is being afraid of something and doing it anyway. Do not let yourself get stuck in fear or resign yourself as things are now. Little fuzzy will pick up on it like it or not.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-20-18), lisariver (09-26-18)
Old 09-19-18, 12:04 PM

Thanked 34,031 Times in 15,408 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I considered telling him about the suicidal ideation that I have been having, and the intrusive thoughts and images but they are better now and there just wasn't the opportunity you know? I mean it's difficult to go from discussing why I can't cook up a healthy meal to this other stuff and there just wasn't enough time. Also, my suicidal ideation is so far from any intent that it seems a bit unfair to throw that out knowing they'll take it more seriously than they should (possibly..or maybe not. The last consultant wasn't too fussed about it.)

Apparently follow up appointments are thirty minutes but the problem is that I don't express myself very well. I keep jumping topics, talk too much about stuff that isn't important and then either forget or run out of time to discuss more important things. I downplay some things and fuss too much about others. Hubby always says that I'm really hard to understand and I know that some people, for example my GP, who is really lovely, just don't get me at all. I need a place like this, like addf, where I can put all my jumbled thoughts down in my own time and in my own way and others are kind enough to try to understand what I'm saying.
can you type up something to bring with you to the appointment? i've done that before: had my psychiatrist read something i was able to more clearly articulate in writing. i also make a list of things to discuss and we go through them. maybe one of those options would be helpful? xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-20-18), Lunacie (09-19-18)
Old 09-20-18, 03:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
can you type up something to bring with you to the appointment? i've done that before: had my psychiatrist read something i was able to more clearly articulate in writing. i also make a list of things to discuss and we go through them. maybe one of those options would be helpful? xx

Great idea, I would add Fuzzy's already typed a lot in here, so someone coud skim a few posts of her and make a list of what is importnant for a therapist.

I think it's always esier to give advice than to apply it, so it could be easier for us to be concise on Fuzzy's behalf.

Did I just invent therapy outsourcing ?
Old 09-20-18, 03:53 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Sounds like you need a new psychiatrist you n psychos both sound crummy
I thought this one was better than the old consultant, which he is (as far as I can tell after two appointments) but somehow he just didn't seem that interested. It felt more like a tick boxing exercise. I can't get another psychiatrist unless I go private I don't want to do.
Old 09-20-18, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
Why do you want to do it without medications Fuzzy?
Taking help is not bad thing

If you worry about side effects
SSRIs would be really good choice for you

Actually i have been tolerating any medicine that i took

But SSRIs are really good in general
People experience less side effects

It can accelerate your progress in theraphy too

If you have some free time, i suggest you to do yoga

But do it as however you like no need instructions

Just clear your mind
Focus on the your most loved one in this life
Concentrate on your love only

You will feel that u are in some kind of trance situation

I know that you are hard working mom
But 10-15 minutes enough

By the way my suggestions arent like
Chose one of them
More like use all of them
I've tried anti depressants in the past. An SSRI and two SNRIs. Sertraline made me hypomanic during the day and profoundly depressed at night. Veblafaxine was just poison to my system. No more hypomania. I just kept swinging between very depressed and "can't live like this anymore" depressed. Duloxetine didn't seem to so much except make me extremely tired.

Sertraline did help initially but after a short.time even the hypomania faded away and I was just depressed again.

Also, anti depressants are supposed to take four to six weeks to work. I don't want to wait for so long.

Yoga and / or mindfulness is a great idea (in fact the psychiatrist mentioned it as well as part of a healthy life style). I used to do breathing exercises when I was pregnant and that helped like crazy. They don't take long either. I really need to incorporate them into my day again. Thanks for the suggestion!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (09-20-18), Lunacie (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I think you need to take the lead and self refer yourself to therapy and not wait for a doctor to suggest it. Since you do not want meds and you didnt think you communicated well AND you feel that your doc didnt listen its time to take an active role in your mental health care. A coward avoid and hides there head in the sand because they are scared. Courage is being afraid of something and doing it anyway. Do not let yourself get stuck in fear or resign yourself as things are now. Little fuzzy will pick up on it like it or not.

I know.

I haven't looked into the self referral yet. I really need to do it.
Lunacie (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I should have done that and psycho had suggested it before my appointment. I'm an idiot for not doing it. The thing is and this probably sounds incredibly stupid I didn't know what to say (or what to.pjt down on paper). I didn't really know how he could have helped me. I'm still not sure. I think I would have liked to be encouraged to talk but of course I shouldn't depend on that encouragement to talk about things that are important. I just always feel like such a fraud.
peripatetic (09-24-18)
Old 09-20-18, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
Great idea, I would add Fuzzy's already typed a lot in here, so someone coud skim a few posts of her and make a list of what is importnant for a therapist.

I think it's always esier to give advice than to apply it, so it could be easier for us to be concise on Fuzzy's behalf.

Did I just invent therapy outsourcing ?

Thanks tons but that's too much work for anyone..please don't do it. I write so much crap. I guess if you read all my posts on here from the first few months there might be a few nuggets of useful information but I'm so wordy ajd so confused that I doubt anyone can make sense of my ramblings. I'm always surprised that you guys understand me at all...
Old 09-20-18, 04:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you need a psychiatrist who really listens to you and knows what they are doing. It's hard finding the right psychiatrist. I was very limited because of my medical coverage. At the time when I finally found one who would actually accept my medical coverage, I knew the chances of that one actually being a good one for me weren't very good. Happily, she really seems to care and it's working out fine. I had gone to a psychologist before and even though it was obvious I was very depressed, she never suggested I go to any doctor for medication. I eventually quit going. I'd practically given up hope when I heard something that led to try one more time. Keep trying. No matter what, keep on trying...one more time, then another one more time. I was playing music frequently before that, using a diffuser with essential oils, trying to mediate, anything to get through the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-20-18)
Old 09-21-18, 01:07 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

Ahh Fuzzy, i don’t know
Are they good for you or not
But have you ever considered taking other anti-depressants
Tricyclic,Tetracyclic,Atypical etc

Actually Wellbutrin would be good too , it is NDRI

You were talking about hypomania
If you have bipolar , ignore my AD suggestions. My mother has BIPOLAR I, she wanted to use Wellbutrin for appetite supression. Our doctor(also my doctor) said would be dangerous
So i guess , my suggestions are not safe for Bipolar

Stablon(Tianeptine) can be different too but i must warn you, dont stop taking it suddenly
Withdrawal is not comfortable(from my own experience)

Some tricyclics are better at reuptake of Serotonine and Noradrenaline

Note: I used Sertraline,Fluoxetine in the past
I only found Escitalopram(Cipralex,Lexapro) useful
Tried Venflaxine at 225mg in the past was 4 years ago
Only thing that i remember is Withdrawal electroshocks in my head lol

Air Nomad Guru Laghima
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-21-18)
Old 09-21-18, 10:48 AM

niclear0093 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I saw my psychiatrist today and tried to tell him.how depressed Ive been but somehow that didn't work so well. He seems to think that if I can fix my lifestyle issues like doing exercise, sleeping more and eating better I'll be fine. ...which is probably true except that i haven't managed to do these things so far and I don't know how I will in the future. He said if it was important enough for me I'd do it. Anyway the conclusion was that I'll somehow try to get a handle on these things and he will see me in twelve months again. If I'm not any better by then he will review everything again to see if ADHD is really my problem.

Twelve months...

I'm not really sure what I was hoping for since I'm not keen on anti depressants but they didn't come up anyway. I don't think I explained myself very well. Somehow towards the end of the appointment he said that I was neither depressed nor had anxiety so I'm not sure what he understood from what I said. I did tell him at that point dirextly that I have been rather depressed but yeah..exercise, healthy eating and sleeping. I don't know. It felt like he just wanted me to leave. He kept saying I'll see you in twelve months again.

In a way maybe this is good considering that I didn't want medication anyway. Now I know I really need to get out of this on my own. Just how? How do I get myself to exercise, eat better and sleep more instead of browsing my phone.

I asked him again about psychotherapy and he said I could self refer. So I'll try that. If I remember.

Interesting. Have you tried a different counselor? To get a second opinion? Being depressed makes it so much harder to do anything, so DO NOT feel bad that you don't have the "will power". I am praying for you to find someone new and see what they say!
Old 09-24-18, 06:54 PM

Thanked 34,031 Times in 15,408 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I should have done that and psycho had suggested it before my appointment. I'm an idiot for not doing it. The thing is and this probably sounds incredibly stupid I didn't know what to say (or what to.pjt down on paper). I didn't really know how he could have helped me. I'm still not sure. I think I would have liked to be encouraged to talk but of course I shouldn't depend on that encouragement to talk about things that are important. I just always feel like such a fraud.
hmm... so what i was thinking is more along the lines of writing up what specific areas of your life it's affecting or particular problems you've been having. as for whether or not you're depressed, you could always look at the requisite symptoms and identify which ones you meet and jot those down. and perhaps also include how long they've manifested.
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-24-18)