ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Exercise
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-17, 10:40 AM

lemonandlime is on a distinguished road
Martial Arts & Adderall XR (if you're new to both)

Hi all,

My question is, if I've only been on adderall xr (15mgs/day) for a short amount of time, and still experiencing side effects including a noticeable heartbeat, and diarrhea, would starting an exercise program have a negative effect on my body or my medication?

Before I started taking adderall, I did a trial class for brazilian jiu-jitsu and liked it, alot. I'm now ready to start after sorting out my life plans and schedule, but now I'm also on medication...and I remember that trial class being intense for me, a real workout so to speak.

Mostly worried about an elevated heart rate because I'm currently at 77bmp resting, it's very noticeable and strong some days, and I also have been feeling that same heart beat/pulse/twitching in other areas of my body (which is really weird, and there is no pain..).

Any info appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-20-17, 10:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,474 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Martial Arts & Adderall XR (if you're new to both)

You'll probably find that it can cause shortness of breath faster when you do anything physically intensive.

As long as you keep yourself well hydrated during your lessons, then you should be fine. But always make sure you consume water regularly. This will help with the high heart rate and high blood pressure.
Old 02-20-17, 10:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Go for it.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-18, 02:56 PM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

Maybe you'll need to start out abit slower and be extra carefull about drinking enough water and eating right. Other than that, once/if you get going, it should be positive for your heart.

Physically and mentally I think martial arts and specifically brasillian jiu-jiutsu is perfect for people with ADHD.

have fun! Husj!
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
Old 08-02-18, 04:38 PM

Srjs28 is on a distinguished road

I find myself getting exhausted much quicker now that I’m on Adderall. Not to scare you away from your activities, but my heart rate also gets elevated.
I have a very physically demanding job , climbing power poles, lifting heavy material, etc.,
Sometimes I wish I didn’t take it while I’m working but I’m on XR and it lasts all day. IR did not work for me.
It the positives out weigh the negatives by far.
Maybe I should try drinking more water too