ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-12, 01:00 AM
Contributor

nanners is a jewel in the roughnanners is a jewel in the roughnanners is a jewel in the rough
Re: Proud Moments

My 11 year old diagnosed daughter has been struggling with insecurity for the last couple of years. One area in particular that she struggles with is math. She has had to be put in the "small group" in her class, that works on easier problems. I have tried to explain to her how this may be her struggle area, but others struggle in areas that she does not. (how many times can i say struggle?)

Anyway, I re-entered her into therapy to help with her insecurities.
Her doctor decided to run some tests on her.
The results came back and amongst other things, her IQ is in the top 5% for her age group. She is considered "GATE". This is no surprise to me, but she was in shock. Her doctor went over the results in detail and pointed out her difficult areas (focus, etc, obviously) but also pointed out how many areas she completely excels in.

Afterwards, she told me she might want to be a therapist when she grows up. Hehe. I told her she can be anything she wants...some things may be harder than others, but that doesn't mean she can't make it happen. She responded, "Really? I can do anything I want?"

My god, brought tears to my eyes. She actually did not know this before?

She is walking with her head held high lately...not over doing it, but just with the confidence she was needing, to know that she really is important and special in this world.

sorry, just had to gush somewhere
amberwillow (11-30-12), Amtram (11-30-12), LynneC (11-30-12), Ms. Mango (11-30-12), psychokitty (11-21-13)