ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Focalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate)

Old 02-21-07, 09:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
Share your Focalin Success Stories

Please share your focalin Successes here. We look forword to seeing your success stories on the forums...

Last edited by netsavy006; 02-21-07 at 09:53 AM..
Old 03-13-07, 12:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

MGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud ofMGDAD has much to be proud of
First of all, thanks to Andrew for making a Focalin subforum.

My 9 daughter was diagnosed innattentive ADHD, early last year. We tried various alternative learning/teaching techniques with some success. However, was just not enough. Or Dr prescribed 2.5mg of Focalin and we gave her a pill at 1:30pm and had her start some homework at 2:00pm. In 30min she completed what would have taken 3-4hours. I will never forget that day. She was soo happy too.

After a few more successfull days we went to the extended release version of Focalin. (XR). The 5mg dose of XR was supposed to be equivalent to the 2.5mg dose of regular Focalin. However, we had to go up to 10mg XR to get satisfactory results. She takes it every day. She wanted to quit taking it to see how it was without, but she said she had a really hard time in school (paying attention, getting assignments completed) so she went back to the 10mg XR. Self esteem is up, quality of schoolwork is up. All around, it is a magic pill for her.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MGDAD For This Useful Post:
emirateswife (04-11-08), MarkuZ (11-10-10)
Old 04-09-07, 08:56 PM
Jr Member

tjmamais is on a distinguished road
My 6 y/o daughter was diagnosed with combined ADHD over a month ago. We tried the Daytrana patch and my daughter just couldn't stop crying. The doctor then put her on Focalin XR 5 mg. We could tell a difference but not anything worth being excited about. After 5 days, the doctor increased the dosage. Today was amazing. 30 minutes after taking the medication, she did her morning routine without even being reminded once. She was still her happy joyful playful self!!!!! Her teacher sent me one of the nicest emails this afternoon. My daughter only had to be reminded ONCE to sit on her bottom. I am so excited. It took almost 2 years to get my husbands meds right. So I am so delighted that my wonderful playful daughter is still there but you only have to ask her once to do something.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjmamais For This Useful Post:
michaelaisabell (10-31-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-07, 01:12 PM
Jr Member

Anise is on a distinguished road
I love Focalin more than I could ever say!!! I truly feel that it's given me back EVERYTHING-- attention, creativity, connection with self, ability, everything. You really do have to be sure that you've got the dosage right, though, and it may be higher than what they say you should be taking. I take 20 mg. XR twice a day (at 8 and 3 p.m.,) and it's amazing. Once a day only works intermittently, and the IR version is very iffy. Daytrana and Adderall did not work nearly as well or consistently. Adding Strattera REALLY doesn't work. But sticking with the Focalin at this dosing and schedule is working much better than anything else ever has. It's been over 6 months with Focalin now, so here's to the continuing future!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Anise For This Useful Post:
bdave2 (03-29-13), ccrose (03-01-11), ChaoticZen (12-02-10), emirateswife (04-11-08), KrissyBacon (01-28-09), michaelaisabell (10-31-14), mystery (09-24-08), Rags847 (07-10-08), roseblood (02-12-09), UndrwtrAthlete (07-03-18)
Old 05-31-07, 11:47 PM

resonate is on a distinguished road
I couldnt agree more. Side effects are mild, I am only on day 3, noticed insomnia, constipation, dry mouth, headache, adult acne, jaw clenching, mild tics such as bllinking hard, edgy, nervousness. Wow, sounds like alot, but compared to how I felt on the inside before, I was surprised how amazing my focus, comprehension was enhanced. Maybe also my loss of appetite will help me trim up for the summer. Will check back...wish me luck folks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to resonate For This Useful Post:
roseblood (02-12-09), UndrwtrAthlete (07-03-18)
Old 06-01-07, 02:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

emo537 is on a distinguished road
ahhh....I would love that so much - To be able to think extremely clearly with complete comprehension....being able to UNDERSTAND new and complex concepts...to be able to finish thoughts to a conclusion - the right one i might add ;-)

resonate,

What medications have you tried for your ADHD? And, what aspects of the ability to think were attributed to each? Like, for example: Adderall - staying alert, being able to think quickly.
And, if you could, include comprehension...being able to understand things better because of focus and concentration.

This reply is a little rambly and i'm sorry for that...It's just that there are certain things that I really want to get out of treatment...

Thanks in advance!

eric
Old 06-07-07, 11:26 PM

resonate is on a distinguished road
I have tried Zoloft. Took it for only a few days, but noticed it gave me little pus filled pimples and no sex drive. Ugh. Then tried Wellbutrin. Lots of jaw clenching and very edgy. Not too sure it worked at all for me, but actually just made me horny all the time. Later tried Strattera and that made me breakout too and made me feel loopy.

In regards to helping me think...I didnt take the Zoloft or Strattera to know the difference. The Wellbutrin didnt work well at all.
Old 07-10-07, 02:13 PM

jojostarbuck is on a distinguished road
I'm new to it all, but started taking 10 mg 4 weeks ago. Switched to 20 mg in a.m. 2 weeks ago and am really happy with the meds.
Few side effects....the payoff is enormous!

jojo
Old 10-09-07, 07:46 AM
Jr Member

ChicagoADDer is on a distinguished road
Re: Share your Focalin Success Stories

I am an adult with ADD, just switched to Focalin a month ago and it is by far the best treatment option for me. Even though its the same amphetamine salt as Adderall, I have none of the side effects that I experienced with Adderall. Looks like that left/right orientation really does make a difference. I take 20mg in the morning which lasts about 10 hours, and around 6pm I (sometimes) take 5mg of Ritalin.

Past two years I have tried (in order of sucess):

1) Concerta 54mg x 2 (morning and afternoon). Worked pretty well, but did very little for my low energy, and it seemed to wear off earlier than Adderall or Focalin (around 7-8 hours). No side effects.

2) Adderall (30mg x 2). I had some side effects: increased short term memory loss (leaving my keys in the door which I don't do even without meds), headaches, problems regulating sleep, and a few very extended hyperfocus experiences (one lasted 72 hours with no break for sleep). Tried various dosages before settling on the 30mg x 2; but lower dosages did not help with focusing, and higher ones all had the negative side effects even when spread out over 2 pills.

4) Cymbalta (can't remember my dosage). Interesting drug. I noticed some increase in focus, but not as much as adderall or concerta. Had some minor side effects (dry mouth was the worst). It did make me more "calm" in my head - decreased my (for lack of a better word) social anxiety level. I felt more in control, calm, less reactive, less impulsive. I took Cymbalta for a couple of months, but ultimately it was not as effective at treating my primary issues (lack of focus, lack of motivation, lack of energy), and the long term use side effects started to scare me.

5) Strattera. Did nothing for me, except some really bizarre sexual side effects I won't repeat here (don't ask - just look at the side effects listed onthe label!)

Focalin XR (20mg) + Ritalin (5mg) at night.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoADDer For This Useful Post:
MarkuZ (11-10-10)
Old 03-29-08, 10:29 PM

nicky818 will become famous soon enough

My son (5) started Focalin XR (5mg) today and I have to say I'm pretty impressed so far. He was on Adderrall (7.5 mg) for about 5-6 months - one day it would work great, the next not so great and the rebound was awful. I finally switched dr.s and he prescribed Focalin. He's been focused with no hyperactivity whatsoever and he still has all his personality and has been laughing up a storm. Adderall only lasted him 4-5 hours (we're on hour 7 of the Focalin). So far so good. His appetite has diminished again but that's to be expected. Good luck to everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicky818 For This Useful Post:
emirateswife (04-11-08), michaelaisabell (10-31-14)
Old 10-07-08, 09:06 PM

rcamommy is on a distinguished road

My son (5) have diagnosed with ADD about 3 weeks ago and put on Focalin XR 5 mg, Things were okay moved up to 10 mg. Things were alittle better, moved to 15 mg. He is great no longer has to sit in the front of the class no more bad reports, agreeable listens it is like a whole new child and minimal side affects. I am truly happy with Focalin it has given us a new lease on childhood
Old 11-14-08, 05:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

tnhybrid is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm. I'm praying there are no delayed side effects with this stuff. I'm very, extremely, incredibly sensitive to meds, so I'm on a microdose...took about 3 mg this morning and it's AWESOME! Honestly, the only thing I've really noticed was a slight fullness in my chest for about a half hour after I took it.

I'm awake, I don't feel dopey or sleepy, I'm not starving...no headache, not even much dry mouth....plus kind of a good mood!

Compared to the Vyvanse, which made me literally feel like I was dying of rabies, this stuff is wondrous! I'll report back later.
(Age: 42; female, married to a non-ADD... working on not-impulse shopping!
I'm a visual artist. Does the ADHD help? No idea...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tnhybrid For This Useful Post:
amorant1 (08-29-11), DAHL (11-13-09), Lizzie80 (10-06-17)
Old 04-20-09, 09:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

qhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhybrid View Post
Hmmmm. I'm praying there are no delayed side effects with this stuff. I'm very, extremely, incredibly sensitive to meds, so I'm on a microdose...took about 3 mg this morning and it's AWESOME! Honestly, the only thing I've really noticed was a slight fullness in my chest for about a half hour after I took it.

I'm awake, I don't feel dopey or sleepy, I'm not starving...no headache, not even much dry mouth....plus kind of a good mood!

Compared to the Vyvanse, which made me literally feel like I was dying of rabies, this stuff is wondrous! I'll report back later.
No kidding about the vyvanse. That stuff made me pay attention but awful side effects and it just got worse. Started on 20 mg of focalin. Awful side effects, went down to 10 mg -- terrible side effects after a few days.

Stopped taking it for awhile -- just started taking a fraction of the beads... must be about 3 mg. AMAZING! Clear thinking, able to socialize and not space and get work done. No edginess, stomachache, headache, dying of thirst, appetite loss... Loving it
School is a society sanctioned torture system designed to rob people of their sanity and to give them a falsely inflated ego upon completion where one gets a piece of paper saying "I sat on my rear in crowded classrooms for x years and only spit up what they told me to". --me
Old 06-10-09, 05:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road

What was the difference in terms of energy levels between focalin and adderall or ritalin......

Adderall made me kinda drony/socially akward, ritalin was definitely better but didnt help with anxiety and tics. Seems like Foclain might be a better fit because it leaves out the tics, but i do like the energy that ritalin gives me.

what do you think, my phsych said focalin doesn't give you as much energy and its generally for little kids.
Old 06-16-09, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

chicago,

so your saying you take one 20mg of focalin a day and were taking concerta 54 ( x 2) and that the concerta did way less and that the focalin works better and longer than concerta? I find focalin good but doesn't work half as long-
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
Dietgrape (12-12-10)