ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 04-18-09, 11:15 AM
Jr Member

TAGCDove will become famous soon enough
Period Affecting ADHD moments

I hope this hasn't been asked before, and if it has, I apologize in advance.

Do any of you gals notice that when you're on your period, your ADD/HD moments increase? When I speak of moments, I'm talking about forgetfulness, lack of attention to certain events, lack of concentration, etc.

I've noticed that I feel angry and upset when I'm on mine and I have an ADHD moment that I would normally try to improve, but instead I would dwell on it and continue to get even angrier. I guess this can be different for everybody since everyone's period isn't the same and no two bodies act alike. I was just curious to see if there was anyone else that had a more difficult time handling their ADD/HD while they were menstrating.
Don't you understand
I already have a plan
I'm waiting for my real life to begin."

The Following User Says Thank You to TAGCDove For This Useful Post:
novagal (04-18-09)
Old 04-18-09, 12:04 PM
Contributor

ADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the roughADHDKylee is a jewel in the rough
Re: Period Affecting ADHD moments

Yes. I often don't even see the point of my medication when I have that, because it only really tones it down a bit. But at the same time if I don't take it, my ADHD is ten times worse. I can't sit for more than three minutes at a time, I can't even think before doing anything, and I have the worst time concentrating. I have read somewhere that monthly girls issues usually magnify ADHD or make it worse.. I'm not sure how true that is.
Old 04-18-09, 12:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future

Yes indeedy! In fact I started a thread on this very thing a couple of months ago. Well, actually it was about medication not being as effective during my period, and I don't know if you're on meds or not.

I figure part of my issue is that I'm peri-menopausal, but it's hugely noticable to me. In fact, I've found that for the rest of the month I can take less than my prescribed dose of meds, but around my period and pms I need the full dose or it seems I'm worse off than when I was not on meds at all. I'm a wall of brain fog, and ticked off at most anything. Before I started meds (I was diagnosed and started treatment in January) any coping mechanisms I'd had in place would be pretty much worthless. I'd forget what they were.

Ahh, the wonderful world of hormones.

No worries about asking questions that have been asked before - there's so much information here, and even though I do searches for topics and threads, sometimes I just need to ask. Especially if my focus is partiularly off that day.
Even if I didn't use it in the house?
- Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes)

Last edited by novagal; 04-18-09 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-09, 04:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't really noticed anything when I'm having my period. I do have cycles when I'm better. I think when I'm ovulating, I'm better.
I don't PMS too much, occasionally I do, but often I don't (lucky I know, but I have had moments) but hopefully it doesn't happen like it did with my spots where I was spot free for a few years, smiled smugly when people said how lucky I was and bam! they've never stopped. Rarely major disaster zone but like drops from a stalagmite, always there.
I do get grumpy at that period, but I think that's more to do with the whole feeling bloated and feeling like your lifeblood is draining away ha ha ha! What I do get sometimes are vertigo attacks and those are a *****.
Sleep (lack of) is more of an instigator for me than anything else.
Old 04-18-09, 04:58 PM

warwickl is on a distinguished road

As a man, I could treading on thin ice here, but I know if I am agitated, my ADD feels much much worse. So here's an important qualifier, is it worse BEFORE menstruation, or is it still a problem during? Also please clarify if you are in any way aneamic - combined with menstruation that could have aggravating factors....
Old 04-18-09, 06:14 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

Crack! Ice breaking but good point about anemia. I've had it due to heavy period flow and I felt like I was drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickl View Post
As a man, I could treading on thin ice here, but I know if I am agitated, my ADD feels much much worse. So here's an important qualifier, is it worse BEFORE menstruation, or is it still a problem during? Also please clarify if you are in any way aneamic - combined with menstruation that could have aggravating factors....
Old 04-19-09, 04:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

Flutterbudget has a spectacular aura aboutFlutterbudget has a spectacular aura about

My ADD is always in overdrive for about a week before my period. Once the period actually starts, I feel much better.

Being pregnant, for me, feels much like forty weeks of PMS (and forty weeks of super-strength ADD). I was anemic with two pregnancies but not with the third, but was still a space cadet.
Old 04-21-09, 07:47 AM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about

i THINK it used to influence me as a teenager... but being a teenager comes with mood swings anyway... hard to tell.
i'm on a monophase pill since i am 14 years old due to massive pain when menstruating, and i never took a break from the pill yet... so i'm on it for almost 11/12 years now. i dont get any pain when mestruating anymore due to the pill, and no mood swings either (while i can often tell when other women have their period because they first get giggly / silly and then tend to be emotional and cry more when they're actually on their period), nobody ever mentioned anything like that to me, so i guess there's no noticable difference when i am on my period. i dont notice anything, anyway.

i have also read that the pill can help women with ADHD maintain their symptoms better, as it evens the hormone levels. if your mind is a constant rollercoaster AND your hormones / body is a rollercoaster just as well, i think it definately has a tendency to make things worse.
Old 06-24-09, 09:49 PM

Re menstruation and adhd.
Hello ladies I hope you find this worth reading! cheers
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/5245.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warwickl For This Useful Post:
kemueller (07-02-09), NekoGirl (07-01-09), novagal (06-24-09)
Old 06-24-09, 10:37 PM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

PMS was bad ...now the real kicker...menopause...I feel about as sharp as marble with the attention span of a gnat....
Old 06-24-09, 11:17 PM

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickl View Post
Re menstruation and adhd.
Hello ladies I hope you find this worth reading! cheers
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/5245.html
wow - great article, thanks!
Even if I didn't use it in the house?
- Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes)
Old 07-01-09, 04:57 PM
Contributor

NekoGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNekoGirl has a spectacular aura about

I haven't as of yet taken note of how I feel during my period, but I've noticed the past 2-3 days I've been in ADD HECK, and it's around the ovulation time.

Sometimes I wish I were born a man...

"The back of the class is where I was / Keeping quiet, playing dumb..."
Old 07-02-09, 09:32 PM
Jr Member

IBR770 is on a distinguished road

I don't believe the medication for concentration does any good during the period. I get more angrier just like without the pill and forget more and talk a lot and do things that get people really upset because i don't get it that i need to stop. I am now on concerta 36mg and the only thing i see from it is my heart rate going up and not much improvement for sure not in the social area.
Old 07-03-09, 01:25 AM

weasel_tart is on a distinguished road

Hello. I was just diagnosed with adhd, so I am going to have to learn what is "adhd" and what is normal pms stuff, but I get really bad pms at times. I assumed I had PMDD. I mean, I felt like my life was falling apart during PMS. It was normal PMS times a thousand it seemed like. But it wouldn't be that bad every time. I also suffer from depression, so it would depends sometimes if I was already low before my PMS, which would cause it to be that much worse. I don't know if that helps, or even makes sense or not, but I am sure that pms could definetley make adhd worse.
Old 08-25-09, 03:22 PM

ADD is when your hubby rolls his eyes and says "she's sumthin isn't she?'. PMS is when he goes to work at 5am and reappears at 9pm. LOL - one for the boys!!! :-)