ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 10-18-18, 10:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all
Regressive/immature behavior

Anyone have experience with regressive/immature behavior?

Our 9-year-old (ADHD) was behaving in an infantile manner on the way to elementary school today, to the point that she was attracting the attention of other students in an embarrassing way. Her 6-year-old sister (non-ADHD) was making her way normally.

I'm of the mind that any kind of acting out usually has an underlying cause, and it seems that the 9-year-old is constantly seeking attention. Her therapist has tried to explain to her that her parents love her, even when they are not directly paying attention to her; it's not like a light switch that turns on or off. I think I'm going to emphasize this with her when I get home from work or next quiet moment we get.

Any similar experiences?

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
Old 10-18-18, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,075 Times in 12,165 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Regressive/immature behavior

Some kids do this if they feel they only get attention for acting badly.

The best advice I've gotten is to comment whenever you see the child acting
good. "Thanks for playing with your sister." "Thanks for putting your dirty glass
in the sink." "Looks like you had a hard time doing your homework, but I'm
proud of you for giving it your best try."

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 11:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

lisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of lightlisariver is a glorious beacon of light

you didn't really give details, so I'm not sure...my ideas are usually way out there, lol but I see some different possibilities. My son sometimes seemed to manifest my feelings, it's the rescuer in them, they want to heal their parents, caregivers...this was 20 years ago, so I've had some time to reflect. My situation may have been different because I struggled with depression.

Now I'm doing inner child work, and so I tend to project that onto a lot of things, so you can dismiss this, if you can't see a place for it. So possibly your child is trying to demand attention for the inner child of one of her parents or she could be wanting attention for some unresolved void of the early childhood of her own little inner child. (Personally, I feel, I'm still tending to my mother's inner child, which is a real pain in the ****, cause she was really hurt and angry)

Also another possibility, given that adhd kids are behind,( i don't know if she has it), according to Barkley by something like a couple of years?, I don't remember, maybe you're child is trying to say she's not ready for what is in front of her.

I would spend extra time coddling and cuddling her, hold her a lot, go back to the baby experience, old toys, songs, baby books, see if you can feel it out that way. I would look for clues that way. Otherwise, I would be worried that it would just become a buried wound forgotten, to surface later in life.

But this is just my personal experience, I know it sounds far out.
The Following User Says Thank You to lisariver For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-18-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-18, 12:14 PM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Another possibility is that she didn't sleep well or was hungry. My 9 year old has some EPIC episodes when either of those are in play. Since she is already 5'0 she grows pretty much every day, so the hungry and tired thing is pretty much her standard operating procedure at the moment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-18-18), Lunacie (10-18-18)
Old 10-19-18, 01:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,567 Times in 15,079 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I forget if you said if she has adhd but assuming she does then the 30% rule applies. This means emotionally she is 30% less mature than her peers- in this case more like a 7 year old.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-19-18), Lunacie (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 05:09 AM

Thanked 1,241 Times in 937 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Are there times when your daughter has expressed progressive/mature behavior?

M
Old 10-19-18, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Are there times when your daughter has expressed progressive/mature behavior?

M
To clarify, I found it best to focus on and promote my son's progressive/mature behavior.

Unless my son is being rude, etc...

I can be very immature myself.

(I needed to learn that others do not want to play with me when I am expressing regressive behavior)

So I have always tried to be there for my son, help him through, when he needed to learn similar topics.

Create a relationship with him, to help work on the topics and help learn.

Hope this makes some sense.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 10-19-18 at 04:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
lisariver (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 04:38 PM

Sorry to post do much, missed edit deadline.

Thinking about it, I am not really sure what regressive behavior is?

If regressive behavior is immature behavior, then would regressive/immature behavior be normal behavior, for a children and teens in general?

M
lisariver (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 07:56 PM

Thanked 5,087 Times in 2,217 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

This is perfectly normal behaviour. Don't make the mistake (like I did) of analysing everything to death. Sometimes as an adult I find myself behaving like an idiot and I'm 43 years old with a respectable job.

If any analysis is made I'd suggest getting her to do some exercise to release her frustrations. My kids and I used karate when they were that age. It's quite therapeutic beating people up legitimately. Now that I'm older cycling is my physical punishment of choice. Get that heart rate up real higj and then everything ceases to matter.
Caco3girl (10-22-18)
Old 11-13-18, 04:02 AM

Nancy Adams is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Regressive/immature behavior

This type of kid needs attention. Sometimes their type of play is to hurt other kids but for them, they are just like having fun. In fact, parents must have time for their children or a family bonding in order to strengthen the bond of the family.