ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-16-18, 06:34 AM
Jr Member

Discord1984 is on a distinguished road
Does a higher dose make the effect last longer or is it just more intense?

I'm just trying to work out the most suitable dose across the day. I currently take 15mg in the morning and 15mg at lunchtime.

If I take a higher dose in the morning (20mg/25mg) will the effect last longer than the lower dose? Or is it just a more intense effect for the same shorter period of time (around four hours for me)?
Old 10-16-18, 12:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Does a higher dose make the effect last longer or is it just more intense?

More of the latter, my guess.

In general, to increase duration of action, it's more effective to increase frequency of dose rather than the amount.
Old 10-16-18, 03:27 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,441 Times in 15,031 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Is this adderall xr or ir?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-18, 07:13 PM
Jr Member

Discord1984 is on a distinguished road

It is IR
Old 10-17-18, 04:16 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,441 Times in 15,031 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Since it is IR then I think it would work the same way both doses and taking more in the morning would just mean its more intense but not last longer.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-17-18, 06:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,038 Times in 2,191 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't see until after that this is in the adderall section. Don't mind me!! I didn't think we had adderall here?
Old 10-17-18, 05:10 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,211 Times in 7,323 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discord1984 View Post
I'm just trying to work out the most suitable dose across the day. I currently take 15mg in the morning and 15mg at lunchtime.

If I take a higher dose in the morning (20mg/25mg) will the effect last longer than the lower dose? Or is it just a more intense effect for the same shorter period of time (around four hours for me)?
I’ve taken much higher doses than I currently do. The dosage made no difference on how long it lasted for me.

Higher doses were just more intense and the crash was worse when they wore off. Frequency of dose will increase duration for sure. You could probably add 4 hours by taking a 3rd dose later in the afternoon. Please discuss any dosage changes with your Dr. first though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 11:07 AM
Committee Member

foreverwarrior has a spectacular aura aboutforeverwarrior has a spectacular aura about

I think to a point a higher dose will last the same and crash worse. Further from that point (higher) it will sit waiting to be processed by the body, and the result is the medication lasts a long time (high doses, and usually not therapeutic or safe)..The crash will be pronounced, but the feeling will be very intense and you probably wont be worth much in terms of productivity. The only real way to get a good effect and coverage is to actually take the medication every few hours (in the case of IR) and stay ahead of the time it wears off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foreverwarrior For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-18-18), Lunacie (10-18-18)
Old 11-05-18, 08:47 PM
Jr Member

mets91428 is on a distinguished road

Lol, I can't explain it in scientific terms because I'm not a chemist, increasing a dose won't impact duration. If anything, you run the risk of overdose, which can be fatal. A lot of people think doubling their dose will make the drug last longer, it won't. The drug's potency increases, for better or worse.

Best of luck to you. I'm struggling myself, trying to find the right dose and frequency to cover me for 15 - 16 hours in a day. It's a matter of my doctor and insurance approving what I want. It remains to be seen.