ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-05, 05:50 PM

Cactus Collecto is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Memory loss and Ritalin

Hello all,

I took Ritalin as a child. I dont remember when I started taking Ritalin, but I do know I took it for at least 10 years. I am now 45, and have not taken Ritalin for almost 30 years. The problam is, I do not remember any of my childhood. I remember bits and pieces, but no real memories. I can only remember one or two things from high school, and really everything before that is a blank. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to have no memories. It is also frustrating that when I get a date (one a year if I am lucky) that the woman allways wants to know about your childhood. They NEVER believe that I have no memories, and think BIG PROBLEM. No wonder it is impossable to have a relationship.

Has anyone else suffered from a lack of memory and contributed it to Ritalin?

Ken
Old 04-20-05, 06:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
Hi Catcus,

Glad to see that you joined today.

So your 45 and you stopped taking Ritalin around age 15. You took it for at least 10 years ...so you started taking it at around the age 5 or before that even. Did your Mom put you on Ritalin because I highly doubt any kindergarten teacher would have even known what ADHD was back then and your ADHD behaviour in school would not have been significant enough to notice because you were in Kindergarten!!

I am 43 years old. Way back in the day they gave group IQ tests. Teachers saw you as either bright or slow. There was no Special ED.

Hmmm....a possible antidrug post. Hmmm...who hasn't posted in a few days. I believe I have outed an ADHDFRAUD man.
Old 04-20-05, 06:28 PM

scuro has disabled reputation
For board members...this is a possible good lesson on how desperate some people will get to strike fear in the hearts of parents.
Old 04-20-05, 06:46 PM

Cactus Collecto is on a distinguished road
I remember I went to see a Dr Stricklin (sp) in San Leandro Ca. I did a sleep test where I got to stay up all night the night before (as a kid that is way cool) He did an EEG on me and prescribed the stuff. I stopped taking it in HS because I hated being differnent than other people.

Who the heck are you "SCURO" you have not lived in my shoes. "Strike fear in the hearts of parents" I think not! I joined this group for help, and for answers I do not have. YOU HAVE NO IDEA of the hurtand frustration I face daily because of this. I came here for help. If you cannot help KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!
Old 04-20-05, 09:23 PM

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Cactus,
The sleep test would be for a sleep disorder, not ADHD. An EEG might be done if a seizure disorder is suspected. A qEEG is used to help diagnose ADHD.

Phaedrus

Closed Thread