ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-17, 11:56 AM

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough
Where ADHD ends and BP begins?

Quote:
For those of you that have ADHD and BP, how do you differentiate between
the emotional reactivity of ADHD and the cyclical mood phases of BP?

I ask because I'm sort of in a limbo where SSRI's are not as effective as they used to be (sometimes called "Prozac poop out"). That and my mood shifts aren't always a reactive or hormonal thing, I'll get a few days when I'm vibrant and have loads of confidence and clarity and other times where my mood will gradually shift from normal to really low and lifeless. I also have times where all that high energy ends up making me volatile, a quarrelsome, a little paranoid and really not to be trusted with credit cards. In my normal moods I do still overreact and all the daft things that come with ADHD but they don't throw me off like my mood shifts do. In fact, I would say my emotions are the most destructive aspect of my life right now.
It sounds like you have rapid cycling. Have you heard of that before?

Last edited by sarahsweets; 07-30-17 at 05:07 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to MindBlind For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (08-04-17)
Old 07-24-17, 12:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,518 Times in 5,187 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where ADHD ends and BP begins?

As someone with hard hitting versions of each I don't really think there is a clear start and finish for either
Little Missy (07-24-17), mildadhd (08-04-17), MindBlind (08-11-17), Roxx1980 (07-30-17), someothertime (07-24-17)
Old 07-24-17, 01:22 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,905 Times in 13,078 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could say there was a definite line. Or a way to tell you where the line begins. I can say of the two, I had to get the BP under control before I could deal with the adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Arei (08-11-17), mildadhd (08-04-17), MindBlind (08-11-17), Roxx1980 (07-30-17), someothertime (07-24-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-17, 03:49 AM

Thanked 1,300 Times in 534 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I've noticed for myself,

Bipolar differences:

Severity and consistency of symptoms. Moods extend out longer with bipolar. Days of sleeplessness, and rage that doesn't go away. Increased paranoia that seems to linger for months.

Adhd is more scattered, less consistent in its symptoms but it feels more consistent with treatment.
mildadhd (08-04-17), MindBlind (08-11-17), Roxx1980 (07-30-17), someothertime (07-30-17)
Old 08-04-17, 01:39 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

I wonder..

Can people with BP take ADHD medication?

Can people with ADHD take BP medication?

M
MindBlind (08-11-17)
Old 08-05-17, 07:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I take medication for both. Stimulants for the adhd, antidepressant,mood stabilizer and atypical AP for the bipolar.

I carried a watermelon?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (08-09-17), MindBlind (08-11-17)
Old 08-09-17, 11:43 AM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Dr. Barkley says ADHD is a "one way" commorbidity of BP, but BP is not a commorbidity of ADHD.

Would that mean BP begins before ADHD?

M
daveddd (08-09-17), someothertime (08-10-17)
Old 08-09-17, 06:17 PM

Thanked 10,518 Times in 5,187 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Dr. Barkley says ADHD is a "one way" commorbidity of BP, but BP is not a commorbidity of ADHD.

Would that mean BP begins before ADHD?

M
i didnt watch the hour and a half video

but the one way comorbity i think means , that a lot of people with bipolar have adhd, but a lot of people with adhd dont have bipolar

they are believed to share a diathesis by many researchers
MindBlind (08-11-17), someothertime (08-10-17)
Old 08-10-17, 12:25 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,350 Times in 744 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

It sounds like BP II and there are meds out there that can make all the difference.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
MindBlind (08-11-17), someothertime (08-10-17)
Old 08-11-17, 03:22 PM

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough

Sarahsweets, I didn't notice your comment earlier so I'll respond to it:

Quote:
It sounds like you have rapid cycling. Have you heard of that before?
I have heard of rapid cycling bipolar and I suppose if I were to be diagnosed I might meet that criteria. My psychiatrist seems reluctant to go into the bipolar hypothesis, possibly because a) when I have insomnia I rarely ever feel okay about it, b) I'm emotionally reactive so it can be hard to discern if it's actually a mood disorder and not just impulsivity and c) They aren't too concerned right now because I am generally stable and have never needed to be hospitalised. But I think my psych team are keeping a close eye on my symptoms anyway, especially now that I'm returning to uni.

finallyfound10, I sure hope it's not bipolar. I know many people can function just fine with the right support and treatment but I'm worried about the medications I might have to take if I do get worse. I've volunteered to be a donor for my sibling and mood stabilizers can damage your internal organs and the stress of such a major surgery can take a huge toll on anyone. When I did the psychological assessment for live donors I was told that even though I seemed well informed and consenting for the right reasons, my mental health wasn't "stable enough" for them to ethically condone going through the process. My sibling is okay right now and it might be a few years before we have to do the transplant but it would kill me if my mental health prevented my sibling from having a decent quality of life.

So I guess what I need to do is talk to my psych team about my concerns and see what my options are for the time being. Most likely scenario, I don't have BP and I just need to fine tune my treatment to get better. For the time being, I just need to be sensible and try to reduce as many stressors as realistically possible.
Old 08-11-17, 10:09 PM
Contributor

Arei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to all

I've never done well with insomnia, I need my sleep or else, used to be I would get very angry but I'm fine on the meds now, just more ADHD spacey when I don't get enough sleep.

I suffered from undertreated bipolar for many years, because there does seem to be a reluctancy to diagnose people with it. SSRI's were just thrown at me over the years and they didn't seem to really help, nor did stimulants really help with my ADHD (adderall xr worked for awhile, but then it hyped me up too much). I've had much better luck treating ADHD with the bipolar under control, and Strattera.

Bipolar is what it is. If you do have it, then it just is. Honestly, I needed the hell out of the medications. I feel stable, secure, and not overflowing with highs and lows like I've dealt with all my life. I can make better choices, I can actually feel a sense of accomplishment. And I'm not just full of resentment all the time anymore.

Being in good mental health does wonders for your body too. And not all mood stabilizers are damaging. I know lamotrigine is pretty safe. You're probably thinking of lithium, that can do damage in too high of a dose. I think that's more reserved for people with bipolar I. That doesn't get prescribed as much anymore.

I still feel highs and lows, but to a lesser degree. It's mostly feeling those lows. But they don't happen nearly as often now. I may sound long-winded here rambling on, but bipolar doesn't have to ruin your life. If you take control, it's manageable. Managing it will give you your life back (if thats what you actually have, of course).

It's worth looking into, especially if ADHD treatments aren't helping and you feel you're honestly steering in the BP direction. Uncontrolled mood swings and hypomania really do a number on your attention and focus, too. If you control your mood, its easier to deal with the ADHD.

It's also a lot easier to manage your stressors with your mood under control too. By leaps and bounds.

Old 08-12-17, 05:46 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
I have heard of rapid cycling bipolar and I suppose if I were to be diagnosed I might meet that criteria. My psychiatrist seems reluctant to go into the bipolar hypothesis, possibly because a) when I have insomnia I rarely ever feel okay about it, b) I'm emotionally reactive so it can be hard to discern if it's actually a mood disorder and not just impulsivity and c) They aren't too concerned right now because I am generally stable and have never needed to be hospitalised. But I think my psych team are keeping a close eye on my symptoms anyway, especially now that I'm returning to uni.
I think there are a lot of misunderstandings about bipolar that I can shed light on from my own experiences. When you are in a manic phase and do not need much sleep, its not like you feel ok about it. Its not like you are aware you are sleep deprived and love it. Most people with bipolar become able to recognize signs that they are going manic or cycling. Many times you do not realize mania is coming until you are in the thick of it and despite the elevated mood, you know that backside of the rainbow is fast approaching. My husband can spot a manic episode before me and its always the same situation. He will ask me if I am feeling ok and note that I seem really up and elevated mood wise. I always get upset and say something like" Why cant I just be in a good mood? Its not always mania". But the 'high' is so out there that its not just being in a good mood. Then when I am in the thick of it I am cognizant of the fact that its a cycle and dread the crash. I am aware that the lack of sleep is never a good thing and sort of buckle my seatbelt and wait for the crash. The differences between a bipolar manic phase and elevated mood, or being emotionally reactive are very evident.

Quote:
finallyfound10, I sure hope it's not bipolar. I know many people can function just fine with the right support and treatment but I'm worried about the medications I might have to take if I do get worse. I've volunteered to be a donor for my sibling and mood stabilizers can damage your internal organs and the stress of such a major surgery can take a huge toll on anyone. When I did the psychological assessment for live donors I was told that even though I seemed well informed and consenting for the right reasons, my mental health wasn't "stable enough" for them to ethically condone going through the process. My sibling is okay right now and it might be a few years before we have to do the transplant but it would kill me if my mental health prevented my sibling from having a decent quality of life.
BP has been around long enough now that many of the treatments are safe and effective and do not damage things the way you say they can. Someone else mentioned lithium and that one can be damaging but its a very old school med that is reserved for more severe cases.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 08-15-17, 10:44 AM
Jr Member

BloopLoops is a jewel in the roughBloopLoops is a jewel in the roughBloopLoops is a jewel in the rough

I have bipolar II and have been taking Dalvoproex for it for about 17 years and it has saved my life. It does not completely remove the symptoms but it brings it into a complexly manageable range. I use Triazadone to help me sleep and it to has been a life saver. The combination works well for me.

My diagnoses with ADHD is very new. It got "missed" due to it always being assumed that my problems learning and focusing where due to my Dyslexia. Now that I have become aware that there is something completely unique from my Dyslexia messing with my ability to focus and read I have become much better at separating the two.

For me the best way to try and explain how the two differ is likening it to a big body of water. If the tide and massive deep currents in combination with the big storms was my BP, my cycle is pretty predictable I know that I am always going up or down in a general move from manic to depressed. The deep under current is perhaps the things I can't change and changes in my age and physical shape and so on. Things that take years to change that have an effect. The storms are when I get into an unpredicted mixed state or high mania. The feelings from my BP feel deep to the core of my being and are tied in with what I call my soul. When I am manic I feel that I am connected to the entire universe and am communicating some type of divinity. It is not comfortable and completely over whelms me. When I am depressed from it I have to fight through every day to not cause self harm and at times take my own life.

ADHD for me is like all the wind that is constantly blowing creating all the noise and causing me to be super tired and worn out all the time. It is also like the waves moving on top of the bigger currents, at times I can concentrate and function a little better it seems and then down the wave again half an hour later and I am out of it. My ADHD changes direction fast and causes my sudden anger outburst that I am still unable to control. It is what makes the noise in the room, music appliances and my daughter tapping her fingers and tapping her toes and saying "daddy" every few moments sound like some type of unbearable torture. It keeps me up at night clicking dumb links, making spontaneous changes in action or inaction that are based on who knows what. It is what makes it absolutely impossible to follow any linear set of instructions no matter how simple. It also is what makes me constantly late for things. It is constantly there influencing me and also has a constant presence in my life but it seems to not be so deep emotionally, it is more in my head if that makes sense.

This is my experience at the moment. Hope it helps.