ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-07-17, 09:43 PM
Jr Member

Never ends is on a distinguished road
Adderall and abilify

I was prescribed 20 mg XR adderall once a day and 10 mg of abilify to help with irritability and mood swings but it was blocking my other med. so I cut back to 5mg before bed and then stopped it all together a about 10 days ago.

Everything seemed fine up until this morning about 1 am at work, my adderall wears off 6 hours into a shift and I was back into my crazy old high strung mood out of nowhere. Woke up feeling the same way, so I took 5 mg of the abilify which of coarse killed the adderall.

So my question is what CAN I take for the mood issues and it not affect my other med??? Thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Never ends For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-07-17)
Old 08-07-17, 11:27 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,019 Times in 5,837 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall and abilify

Check with your Dr. for sure but I was told by mine it would be best to take my antidepressant before bed and Adderall first thing in the morning. I am not sure if that applies to Abilify but I noticed a difference with Cymbalta and Adderall IR.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Never ends (08-08-17), wonderboy (08-07-17)
Old 08-07-17, 11:28 PM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about

It appears that the research seems to indicate the future possibilities of the use of Abilify in Amphetamine Dependency

Here are some interesting articles I researched for you

https://academic.oup.com/ijnp/article/13/4/541/713561

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...-psychosis.pdf

Last edited by wonderboy; 08-07-17 at 11:38 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wonderboy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-08-17), Never ends (08-08-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-17, 12:14 AM
Jr Member

The abilify will definitely calm me down there's no doubt there. My rig is on down time right now and I don't even care to stand up to go help my guys....but my mood is calm and level.

I'm going to see about a smaller dosage starting out so I'm not lazier than I already feel.

And yes greyhound I was taking it before bed, but still felt sluggish the next day. I had to take one before work today because I was still so manic acting. Aggravating getting medicine sorted out so it works for you. That's why I put it off my whole life.
Greyhound1 (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 12:20 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,019 Times in 5,837 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never ends View Post
The abilify will definitely calm me down there's no doubt there. My rig is on down time right now and I don't even care to stand up to go help my guys....but my mood is calm and level.

I'm going to see about a smaller dosage starting out so I'm not lazier than I already feel.

And yes greyhound I was taking it before bed, but still felt sluggish the next day. I had to take one before work today because I was still so manic acting. Aggravating getting medicine sorted out so it works for you. That's why I put it off my whole life.
I also find myself sluggish taking it just before bed. Started taking it earlier recently in the late afternoon. Seems to be better so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Never ends (08-08-17)
Old 08-11-17, 01:00 AM
Jr Member

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and trying to find something other than abilify or Dutch it all together.

I came home Wednesday morning and slept 8 hours, was up four and slept 12 more, then I took another 4 hour nap today, nothing new for me after two weeks of nights but it's not normal to sleep that much, I've wasted two days off already
Old 08-11-17, 12:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

I have had total failures with adding anything to Adderall. Even beta blockers interfered with Adderall's effect. Over time Adderall has really balanced my mood. I'm much more patient. But that took like a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy10 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-11-17)
Old 08-11-17, 12:56 PM
Jr Member

Going to the doctor Monday, they're kinda mad I'm coming in early for a second time, but I don't know what else to tell them
Little Missy (08-11-17)
Old 08-11-17, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 18,110 Times in 9,682 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Going to the doctor Monday, they're kinda mad I'm coming in early for a second time, but I don't know what else to tell them
Good for you!

We have to be our own advocate, in charge of ourselves and the medications we need because no one else is going to do it for us.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 08-11-17, 01:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 18,110 Times in 9,682 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kinda mad and being paid for seeing you.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 08-12-17, 10:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

doctors can be so frustrating, especially with mental illness stuff. The last time I went in for my prescriptions I was a little late and even tried to call ahead but the receptionist kept hanging up on me (they never seem that hectic when I'm in there). The doctor was totally irritated with me so I said well just write the prescriptions so I can leave. I'm sorry I'm not having a heart attack or something you consider 'real'!
Old 08-12-17, 04:39 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Kinda mad and being paid for seeing you.
I have to leave town early and asked to get my scripts filled not knowing I had to wait and they can actually just call them in to the pharmacy in the town my rig is in, I also asked about a dosage adjustment again.

I hoping it works out because I'm still tired all the time and scatterbrained by 1 pm or depending when I wake up and take my med. I actually lost 3 in the sink at the man camp last week so I'll be out Tuesday, so I can't wait for that.
Old 08-12-17, 11:17 PM

Thanked 30,076 Times in 13,485 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i don't take it for mood issues...and i'm kinda surprised they wouldn't try a mood stabilizer instead of an antipsychotic for that for you...

BUT: i take it first thing in the morning. along with other stuff. i'm only taking 5mg currently though. you might try switching the time to the morning and see if that works...?
Old 08-13-17, 02:17 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
i don't take it for mood issues...and i'm kinda surprised they wouldn't try a mood stabilizer instead of an antipsychotic for that for you...

BUT: i take it first thing in the morning. along with other stuff. i'm only taking 5mg currently though. you might try switching the time to the morning and see if that works...?
I'm bi polar but obviously not as bad as he thinks, I've taken it before bed, when I've got up and mid afternoon, each time I've taken it, it's been lights out or close to it about 20-30 min afterwards, and I stay in a daze for hours.
peripatetic (08-13-17)
Old 08-13-17, 02:23 PM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about

There are many other medication options

I did some research, and take a look at this

https://www.centerwatch.com/drug-inf...try-psychology

Hope this helps in anyway