ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 05-07-19, 05:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

goughy has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Atomoxetine cost in Australia drops!

Thought I'd post about this, with a touch of background. I'm mid 40's and was diagnosed with significant add in my 30's. While I have some hyperactive elements, they weren't disruptive or obvious which I think helped out being missed as a kid. I've been slack over the years trio take this, but the last 4 months I've been seeing a psychiatrist and been on atomoxetine to get some help. We've worked out way up to 60mg which seems to be helping.

I've found in Australia that there are conditions on the prescription of atomoxetine, being that you can only have the medication covered by our pharmaceutical benefits scheme (PBS) of you were diagnosed between the ages of 6 and 18! Which means my 60mg prescription (56 tablets) cost $140 instead of $40. She because my wife is a disabled pensioner, the cost would be reduced down to $6, and by about half way through the year, free! The cost of ADHD meds are why I didn't go on them years ago, but recently, while still financially struggling, we reached a point where something has to be done.

A few weeks ago I sent an email to the PBS, asking if they could review their conditions regarding the prescribing of ADHD meds, as there would be many people who would have slipped through the cracks (like myself), especially a few decades ago, and the attitude that ADHD is just a childhood condition is antiquated. I eventually received a reply back saying that they can't look at changed on a case by case basis (not what I asked), but thank you for contacting us. Pretty much what I expected.

But, low and behold, I go collect my next prescription on the weekend and it costs me $40 less than previously! What the heck! So I just check on the PBS website and across the board the full cost of atomoxetine has dropped! All tablets from 60mg and down (prescription is 56 tablets) have dropped from $140+ to $100. And tablets from 80mg and up (prescription is 28 tablets) have dried from about $100 to $70!

I know it's a coincidence, but I'd like to claim the credit for this
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goughy For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-19-19), namazu (05-07-19)
Old 06-19-19, 09:13 AM

Hennessy is on a distinguished road
Re: Atomoxetine cost in Australia drops!

Now let's hope that works with Vyvanse!