ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 09-24-19, 01:56 AM
Forum Guru

eeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished road
facebook is clearly and totally the devil for us

or is it just me? I just rejoined cuz i needed to for trade school, took me three days to make a complete donkey of myself to an old friend, gonna delete again.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:
BouCoupDinkyDau (Yesterday), midnightstar (09-24-19), namazu (09-24-19), stef (09-25-19), TygerSan (09-25-19)
Old 09-24-19, 12:36 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,505 Times in 10,853 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: facebook is clearly and totally the devil for us

It definitely doesn't bring out the best in everyone...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (09-24-19), Rebelyell (10-20-19), stef (09-25-19), TygerSan (09-25-19)
Old 09-24-19, 02:43 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,856 Times in 14,111 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely post anything on my facebook.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-24-19), psychopathetic (10-16-19), stef (09-25-19), TygerSan (09-25-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-19, 06:02 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,446 Times in 5,444 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

I do Facebook much like I do here. I read lots and post sparsely.

I don’t like how the platform has changed. Seeing posts out of chronological order bugs me no end. Plus it keeps advertising events to me after they’ve happened.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (12-07-19), Lunacie (10-20-19), musicman64 (12-07-19), namazu (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19, 10:05 AM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Watch "The Great Hack" on Netflix. You'll never look at Facebook the same. You'll most likely never trust our electoral system ever again either, but that's a different story.
Old 10-16-19, 07:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

Free to Fly will become famous soon enough

MMM facebook MMMM donuts MMM decisions. naw, I can do both....
Old 10-17-19, 11:49 AM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,239 Times in 2,593 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute

I won't do it, won't do it, won't do it. I chatted in yahoo for years but have no desire to engage in social media. I'm with tyger...I read you guys here but I tend to not have much to say. No point of me having social media. And to be honest, if I want to talk to you, I'll call or text before I would do anything else.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (10-17-19)
Old 10-19-19, 08:11 AM
Contributor

mrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the rough

When friends posted links to articles filled with lies and misinformation about
GMO's, climate change and other pseudoscience I'd respond with links to fact
based evidence to counter their false claims. It took me quite a while to
realize people didn't appreciate it. I'm also amazed that their links got dozens of likes.
Old 10-19-19, 01:39 PM
Contributor

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

I'm compulsive and so I can't put it down and keep checking to see if I've gotten new likes, friends, messages, etc. I check over and over again. I groom my FB page to get it "just right". I think there's some OCD there. I tend to send inappropriate messages to rando women. So on the balance it's a relief when I put it down.

What I do is have my best friend change the password so that I can occasionally post something when there's a meaningful event, but otherwise I can't use it. I find that's the arrangement that works the best for me. I would have deleted the account years ago, but I've accumulated too many pictures and stories on there, a lot about my kids and family, that would be lost forever if I deleted the whole account.

I think I get some kind of dopamine charge from all those little stimulations from FB, so in a way it's a drug that is not good for me, and I think my ADHD/compulsive personality, and a bit of OCD all contributes. I'm a lot happier when I've been away from it for a few days and live in the real world.

On balance I think the planet is worse off for social media and I hope that one day it will be a thing of the past.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel1970 For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (11-16-19), midnightstar (10-20-19), namazu (10-19-19)
Old 10-20-19, 08:01 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,446 Times in 5,444 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Man. **** Facebook and their stupid algorithms. Hmm...haven’t seen a post from xxxx in a while; we’re not close, I wonder if we’re still friends. Click...click...oh, there you are....click “Remembering XXX”. WTF? What? When?

I see the same damned posts 3 times over, but Fb did not think that a post announcing that someone had died and making a memorial post was something that should appear on my feed. I am now frankly insulted by the stupid cat videos it keeps trying to get me to click on.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
Old 10-20-19, 08:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,554 Times in 6,104 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Bobby Facebook is the devil you stay away from her ya hear Bobby bochay lol
Old 10-27-19, 04:22 AM

Thanked 6,266 Times in 2,960 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

With all these things you need to work out how to use them.
Ive been unwell and have stopped work, and fin it useful
Mind you I am in about a dozen professional groups, as I am still extending my learning, and a few other activist groups, and collect a few good jokes.

Its all about limits though.
There are plenty of nutty trolls though, but I find that ignoring them is good practice.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 12-07-19, 01:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

musicman64 will become famous soon enough

The thing that bugs me about FB is now the link to instagram. Why is it that I feel it necessary to be on both when everyone posting to IG has their settings to also post in FB. But they didn't set it up to go the other way so you have to open both and every time you go to home a whole new set of stuff comes up and you can never find that cute post you wanted to show somebody.
Old 12-07-19, 12:32 PM

Thanked 6,266 Times in 2,960 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

FB can be very effective IF you understand, outside the basic social, why you are there how you want to respond, who you want to respond to.
It is even more entertaining if you can work out how to say something really "outrageous" but ensure that the opposition has little solid to reply to.
I have seen some idiotic posts on FB, garbage that we are meant to accept as the truth.

I use "FB" to help me coordinate my interests in a certain subgroup with political interests that are aimed at challenging the accepted status quo in an area related to an area of scientific medicine that is currently very contentious.

Now this application of FB works brilliantly.
We do not have to worry about the intrusions of would be be critics.
We can develop our ideas without responding to trenchant criticism by people who engage us with no intention of engaging in a direct and honest debate.
Those of us who are working on the problem I am discussing have developed a nation wide network of friends and allies.
We can call on that network should we need accommodation interstate.

So, there are many advantages there, if you know how to operate the system.

So whatI am saying

Now, neurotypicals seem able to take up this tripe, and run with it.
Some sort of inborn error of intellectual metabolism, I guess.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 12-09-19, 07:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Never could get into it lol to boring for me. I used to envy people that could engage but I try and then lose interest. Don’t know what’s up with that.