ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Personality Disorders
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-19, 02:50 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all
ADD vs. Borderline personality disorder

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with BPD and it got me thinking and doing some research into it. I noticed there are a lot of similar symptoms between the two, and now I can't help wondering if the fact that ADD meds don't seem to really help me all that much points to the possibility that maybe my problem is something else entirely. The main issues that plague me are centered around impulsiveness, a history of reckless behavior, and various social and mood issues. The reason I'm starting to look more closely at BPD is because one of the main symptoms listed appears to be an overwhelming fear of abandonment, and a whole host of issues stemming from it. that one hits close to home for me, and wood definitely help to explain a lot of the problems I have come across through my life.

My question is, might there be anyone here who has followed a similar path of discovery? Anyone who thought they had attention deficit disorder and then came to find out that it was actually a personality disorder instead? I know, I know... Ask my doctor. The problem is I just barely acquired new health insurance, and as such will be searching for a new doctor as soon as my card arrives, so as of now I am pretty much on my own. Thought I would throw some feelers out here to see if maybe anyone had some similar experiences that could potentially help point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
namazu (03-05-19)
Old 03-05-19, 06:08 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,853 Times in 14,109 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD vs. Borderline personality disorder

One of my diagnosises is emotionally unstable personality disorder/borderline personality disorder/whatever you want to name it (both names are for the same thing), I'd say it's possible that you have that instead of ADD but I am not a medical professional so cannot say for sure either way, best advice I can give you is when your card comes through and you can register with a doctor (or however it works over there) then it's best to see what the doctor says

What I will say is BPD is no fun
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Funky1 (03-05-19)
Old 03-05-19, 08:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

It could help to reflect upon whether the ADHD symptoms could lead to BPD symptoms, or vice versa. For instance, perhaps your ADHD symptoms causes problems with work, relationships, etc, and that leads to emotional problems. Or perhaps your emotional problems cause your ADHD symptoms? Obviously, if can be difficult to figure out which comes first, but just something to reflect upon if you haven't already!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Funky1 (03-05-19), namazu (03-05-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-19, 10:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,955 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with BPD and it got me thinking and doing some research into it. I noticed there are a lot of similar symptoms between the two, and now I can't help wondering if the fact that ADD meds don't seem to really help me all that much points to the possibility that maybe my problem is something else entirely. The main issues that plague me are centered around impulsiveness, a history of reckless behavior, and various social and mood issues. The reason I'm starting to look more closely at BPD is because one of the main symptoms listed appears to be an overwhelming fear of abandonment, and a whole host of issues stemming from it. that one hits close to home for me, and wood definitely help to explain a lot of the problems I have come across through my life.

My question is, might there be anyone here who has followed a similar path of discovery? Anyone who thought they had attention deficit disorder and then came to find out that it was actually a personality disorder instead? I know, I know... Ask my doctor. The problem is I just barely acquired new health insurance, and as such will be searching for a new doctor as soon as my card arrives, so as of now I am pretty much on my own. Thought I would throw some feelers out here to see if maybe anyone had some similar experiences that could potentially help point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

ADHD is often misdiagnosed as BPD, but they are quite different- especially in terms of self harm, and inability to form a close relationship. ADHD can burn a lot of relationships, but usually we are warm and form attachment relationships easily.

As a rough guide, if you have a close, loving relationships, (as opposed to a coercive, bullying relationship) then BPD is unlikely.

BPD is usually the result of severe emotional abuse in infancy.

Ive looked after 2 when I was a doctor, and they were very difficult. Both self harmed obsessively, one got her satisfaction by driving her carers mad, the other had this hopeless conviction that she was unlovable, and that Jesus wanted her to kill herself.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 11-09-19, 05:54 PM
Forum Guru

eeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished road

just curious, does an individual have the right to access information on thier own mental health file that deals with what another individual may have reported about them.

oh i already went straight there to get it but turns out it was saturday morning lol.

What happened is i go to the shrink and she has reports I thought people could read my mind when i had never made such claims.

2 days later a pattern appeared where the person who had been talking to my doctors got drunk and let it slip they thought "there is some schizophrenia" about me.

I suspect it is really just a complex manifesation of a complex living arrangement where the add person makes the bpd snap, and make up **** hoping for more and quicker attn by pros or even possibly commitment.

effed up man

Old 11-11-19, 03:16 AM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Incorrect medical records are a huge problem.
Thankfully they are usually not read!

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
eeyore (11-11-19), Little Missy (11-13-19)
Old 11-11-19, 08:09 PM
Forum Guru

eeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished roadeeyore is on a distinguished road

now Im not sure I even want to know what else is on there, just denounce source to best of my ability and move on.

Best of my ability may involve pulling some punches here, dont let me forget that

The Following User Says Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (11-12-19)
Old 11-12-19, 10:26 PM

I think I would rather that my medical records were sealed, or, better, burned.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
eeyore (11-13-19), Little Missy (11-14-19)
Old 11-14-19, 01:16 AM
Forum Guru

on a side note I did bring a usb thingee [they had no email on the internet] on my second visit detailing my response that I in fact have never claimed a band could read my mind ect..

And the receptionist said they do not deal with email and pendrives - ok whatever at the time but now its 2 days later I'm feeling testy, I can see their point but is this not letting the inmates run the assylum?

Is it like this banned email in all shrink office, a few? this is BC Canada

Old 11-14-19, 05:47 AM

Thanked 22,457 Times in 12,087 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

When I asked my doc where mine were he threw his arms in the air and said he makes them all up.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
eeyore (11-14-19)
Old 11-15-19, 12:04 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
I think I would rather that my medical records were sealed, or, better, burned.

well say if I was your new patient and a month after my first visit my mother told you I thought I was hitler, and I thought it better to walk away than to tell you I only said I look like hitler, and I think my mother had not made an honest mistake but was letting her bpd [which you have no idea of] colour her tales of me out of impatience.

tbc

ok like said [les just say] I just started seeing you, and we're canadian eh,

and I just tagged a bad key and lost a thick paragraph, arg back to hockey

I came her drunk just to make up fo0r abi

Old 11-15-19, 12:54 AM
Forum Guru

ok lost the edit button up thar\\

what I was trying to say is if I came to you as a new patient and things got crazy fast and id like to just walk away, start fresh,

say I found a new doctor after you in a nearby town in canada eh, and I want to forget about you and get the reports from my old doctor, [the doctor before you] would my new doctor only get reports from the doctor before you, or is medikal history in Canada more general and my new doctor gets the reports where i say [allegedly say] that I think im hitler and a band can read my mind ect..

sorry tricky topic when drinking more beer than accustomed to

Old 11-15-19, 02:29 AM
Forum Guru

oh nevermind korgi

Old 11-16-19, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post

A general thought here. ADHD meds only help about 70-80% of ADDers-- so not being helped by them is not an enormous sign of BPD.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.