ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 10-10-20, 09:13 PM

Walnuts18 is on a distinguished road
Child anger issues in sports

Need direction. My child has been struggling for years with his temper in sports. The second he makes one small mistake he gets angry, acts out of control, compounds into another mistake, and gets angrier. The cycle continues until he gets pulled out of whatever activity he is in. This only happens in sports and occasionally/rarely in intense verbal engagements (typically with his sibling).

Does he need medication? He has been struggling with this for 6 years and he is 11. Hes really good at sports and do not want his inability to control himself to run him out of sports and relationships.
The Following User Says Thank You to Walnuts18 For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-11-20)
Old 10-11-20, 01:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,848 Times in 12,933 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child anger issues in sports

Therapy can be helpful if you find the right therapist/client combo.

Meds for anxiety can be helpful.

If your son has adhd, at the age of 11 his skills in self-regulation or self-control
is developmentally delayed and more like that of an 8 year old. That's not an
excuse not to work on developing self-regulation, but knowing that may help
him with the frustration he is experiencing.

There are several sticky threads in the parenting section here that I've found
very helpful: http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-14-20, 06:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,384 Times in 15,480 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child anger issues in sports

I dont know if they give medicine for anger unless its untreated adhd or ODD. Does he see a therapist or doctor?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links