ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 10-10-19, 11:53 PM

SweetJams is on a distinguished road
My son's showing sensitivity to loud noises

My son is showing sensitivity to loud noises and big crowds. I've been thinking of getting him a pair of custom earplugs that he can use whenever needed but I'm not really sure. Is that something you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-19, 05:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,110 Times in 15,358 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My son's showing sensitivity to loud noises

Has he ever been evaluated for sensory integration disorder?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-11-19, 09:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,517 Times in 13,321 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your son?

I didn't realize my son had this until his late 20's. It's more than shyness or being reserved, he is very uncomfortable in places like malls and restaurants. I wish I would have known about all of this when he was little, i have the same thing but to a much lesser degree.

yes I would definitely try the earplugs! or maybe just music on a phone etc (depending on his age, of course).
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-19, 01:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,002 Times in 12,600 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

For my oldest granddaughter, adhd, what bothers her the most is the sound of
other people eating or chewing. She usually goes off to eat by herself in her bedroom.

What really ramps up my heartbeat is a two-stroke motorcycle engine, or dogs
barking, or the bass thumping of a carbstereo. But my youngest granddaughter,
autism, and I both tend to wear ear-plugs when we eat out at a restaurant,
especially the very noisy ones like Texas Roadhouse.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-13-19, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Has he ever been evaluated for sensory integration disorder?
I believe he hasn't been evaluated for that. I let him wear earmuffs but he doesn't seem comfortable with it. I also let him use foam earplugs but he said they hurt and that's why I'm considering getting custom soft earplugs. We're pretty tight with money nowadays because my mom just passed away that's why I can't get him evaluated.
Old 10-13-19, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
How old is your son?

I didn't realize my son had this until his late 20's. It's more than shyness or being reserved, he is very uncomfortable in places like malls and restaurants. I wish I would have known about all of this when he was little, i have the same thing but to a much lesser degree.

yes I would definitely try the earplugs! or maybe just music on a phone etc (depending on his age, of course).
He's 8 now turning 9 on December. Thanks for the response. I'm actually planning to get him earplugs from a brand that claims to use a comfortable soft material to make their earplugs and that made me consider ordering from them.

Last edited by namazu; 10-14-19 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Removed links to advertising video and commercial website, per ADDF guidelines.
Old 10-13-19, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
For my oldest granddaughter, adhd, what bothers her the most is the sound of
other people eating or chewing. She usually goes off to eat by herself in her bedroom.

What really ramps up my heartbeat is a two-stroke motorcycle engine, or dogs
barking, or the bass thumping of a carbstereo. But my youngest granddaughter,
autism, and I both tend to wear ear-plugs when we eat out at a restaurant,
especially the very noisy ones like Texas Roadhouse.
Thanks for the response. Now I know that it is something that is common. I was a little terrified at first because my son just cried out of the blue without even saying me why and that's not a good feeling.
Old 11-01-19, 05:13 AM

Flexderec is on a distinguished road

I agree with you.