ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 11-05-19, 06:49 PM
Jr Member

Clstlg is on a distinguished road
Security...hoodie?

My daughter has ADHD and social anxiety. She is 12 and in middle school.

She has been wearing a heavy weight hoodie to school for about a year now...all seasons. It's getting pretty ratty, but when I suggest that she not wear it she protests rather vehemently. It has become her security blanket, of sorts.

We are trying to come up with an alternative to the hoodie. She says the weight on her shoulders is comforting to her, and I suspect it is a way to cover her maturing body as well.

Does anyone have any ideas of ways to move past the hoodie?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clstlg For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-06-19), namazu (11-05-19)
Old 11-05-19, 06:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,413 Times in 12,069 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Security...hoodie?

Let her pick out a new one or two. or, keep the old one clean. She'll move on to something else when she wants to.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Clstlg (11-13-19), Lunacie (11-06-19), stef (11-05-19)
Old 11-05-19, 10:43 PM

Thanked 27,510 Times in 13,318 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Let her pick out a new one or two. or, keep the old one clean. She'll move on to something else when she wants to.
absolutely yes! at 51 I have many items which are comfortable and make me feel "safe". including a zip-up hoodie. and also capes and a fuzzy coat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-06-19), Lunacie (11-06-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-19, 12:09 PM

Thanked 26,990 Times in 12,593 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Weighted vests, lap pads, and blankets serve much the same purpose.
My adult daughter finds the weight soothing, I do not.

Maybe a lighter jacket/vest with weighted bean bags in the pockets?
Everyone is wearing hoodies these days, even me, a 68 year old gramma.

Is she taking meds for the anxiety? Seeing a therapist? I need the meds
and found the therapy helpful. Wish I'd gotten them started at age 12

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
stef (11-06-19)
Old 11-13-19, 12:21 PM
Jr Member

Clstlg is on a distinguished road

I have suggested multiple hoodies, but she is resistant. I'll try again.

She is not on meds for her anxiety, but it is on our list of things to go over with our new doctor. She had counseling in elementary school and we are discussing therapy in the future, but again...she is resistant.

I'm still just trying to get this all figured out. I thought I had it well in hand and then the tweens hit and I'm working on getting this all figured out again.

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-13-19, 07:45 PM

Thanked 26,990 Times in 12,593 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clstlg View Post

She is not on meds for her anxiety, but it is on our list of things to go over with our new doctor. She had counseling in elementary school and we are discussing therapy in the future, but again...she is resistant.

I'm still just trying to get this all figured out. I thought I had it well in hand and then the tweens hit and I'm working on getting this all figured out again.

Thank you for your help.
OMG the tweens! We were dealing with autism, anxiety, and a bully of a
school teacher. So ODD was part of the mix in her tweens (Oppositional
Defiant Disorder). A couple years growth and a move to a different school
made a world of difference in her ability to deal with life. She took anxiety
meds through the whole thing and has not made any fuss about taking so
many meds (also diabetic and insomniac).

If your girl is not willing to trade in the old ratty hoodie for a new one, guess
she knows what she needs, or thinks she does. Maybe if someone besides
Mom took her shopping, ya know, someone really coooool, she might pick
one out. Meanwhile hang in there and good luck.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
stef (11-13-19)
Old 11-14-19, 03:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clstlg View Post
Well, I can't say for her, but I do have an "identity hoodies", and I'm also resistant to replace it. Even when I lost my original grey one (which was bought by my mother) in an internet cafe, I tried to buy a new identical one. Got what I wanted but the closest color to grey which was available at the time was creme. So I bought it as my "new" identity hoodies. It's now being ratty, very ratty due to my few adventures in some beaches and mountains as well as a single traffic accident. Even so, I still want to buy an identical one to replace it. Maybe your daughter thinks similar (though I may be wrong) in that her hoodies already screams "This is me!" as part of our "default" outfit. If so, my suggestion is to buy her an identical one.
Lunacie (11-14-19)