ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Non-ADD Partner Support
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Non-ADD Partner Support This is a support forum for non-ADD partners, spouses, and significant others offering feedback from both the ADD and non-ADD perspectives

Old 10-09-18, 10:58 AM

MommingTooMuch is on a distinguished road
Re: Anger, alcohol, and momming

Update: He has been on medication for 5 weeks now. I am shocked by the change. He is almost always happy and is not getting angry at things that used to upset him. He is listening, apologizing for mistakes, and being very nice. One of the big changes is that he is smiling often. These meds have even made his sleep patterns normal. He now goes to bed at a normal time, sleeps thru the night, and he wakes early with me to help get kids off to school. He is starting and actually finishing projects. This seems to bring him great joy. He has gone around our home and picked up all his tools that would have been left out in the rain.

Seeing him smile so much has been so amazing. The anger seems to have melted away and all his triggers seem to have disappeared. I wish I had known sooner about add. We discovered through conversations with his parents that he was put on ritalin as a child per his teacher's request but his parents took him off of it because it slowed him down. Now, his doctor says that this should have been seen as diagnostic of add but his parents never followed up and until now he'd spent the last 30 years unmedicated.

He has not tried to drink alcohol since starting the meds. He has been totally sober and says he doesn't feel the need to drink. I am cautiously optimistic.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I am so happy for my family and my husband.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MommingTooMuch For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-16-18), Lunacie (10-09-18), stef (10-16-18)
Old 10-09-18, 12:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,985 Times in 12,126 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear hopeful news.

We've come so far since teachers were allowed to suggest certain meds.
Now they can suggest getting a diagnosis.

And now there are other choices besides Ritalin.
It works great for some people, but turns others into Zombies.
Same is true of all stimulant meds, it's trial and error to see which works
best for each individual.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
stef (10-16-18)
Old 10-16-18, 03:33 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,400 Times in 15,007 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am very happy for you. Its worth considering AA or Alanon for you even if it relates to past issues.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
stef (10-16-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-18, 04:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,276 Times in 13,950 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

So glad to hear that things are looking up. Well done both of you!