ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Research
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Research Current medical research projects from not-for-profit organizations may be found in this forum. Posts in this section require Forums Staff Approval

Old 11-07-07, 05:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Article: ADHD Psychosis

Look fine at first glance. I'll have a look later because it does seems interesting.

btw: love the tom cruise thing made me lol.
Old 11-07-07, 05:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,105 Times in 796 Posts
Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

Intersesting
Old 11-07-07, 07:02 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

yah, adhd AND psycosis I can understand, but "ADHD psycosis" is bogus.

The troible with wikipedia is that everything can be bogus, and it frequently is.

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-07, 05:30 AM

Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozchris
It would have tricked me too but I know psychosis is very scary and ADD symptoms not so much. I've been tricked by similar things before
I think you have a good point there!I have read that psychosis is very scary and there is allways strong emotions detached to the confution.ADD-attacs are just annoing/irritating.
Old 11-08-07, 10:04 AM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

Well I don't honestly know because I don't have it but I found more than just a wiki article in regards to this first disaster I posted, two exactly. So just to make it more valid, maybe the moderator if it is speedo, for example can rename the thread ADHD and Psychosis so that way I don't have to keep looking for posts to validate it when I get defensive because people keep reposting the same comments in regards to the original thing which I beleive I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspen
this looks interesting...
versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by What mspen1018 never said
this is fact
Old 11-08-07, 08:50 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

It's not you, you just posted what you found. It's wikipedia that is all awry. I can change the name of the thread per your request.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 11-10-07, 03:34 PM

Re: Article: ADHD and Psychosis

it was interesting anyway!
Old 11-13-07, 09:31 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,221 Times in 5,355 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting . . .

The second article is important because it highlights the fact that one can give psychostimulants to people suffering from psychosis and it can make them better. Common belief (and indeed one "animal model" of schizophrenia) is that since very high doses of amphetamine cause psychosis, giving psychostimulants to people who were psychotic to begin with would worsen their symptoms. . . soo this article is really saying that the common belief is not always correct, and that some people may be needlessly suffering from ADHD symptoms because Dr's refuse to prescribe psychostimulants to those with psychotic symptoms.
Old 02-10-08, 07:57 AM
Contributor

Fuse has a spectacular aura aboutFuse has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
It's not you, you just posted what you found. It's wikipedia that is all awry. I can change the name of the thread per your request.

Me
I disagree. Wikipedia is for the most part always at least in the ballpark when it comes to the validity and accuracy of its articles (unless they're extremely new for instance, or have been defaced - but many articles are locked in these days and defaced articles are quickly detected and reverted). It has improved a lot since its conception, which is a point hammered home by its founder in his recent attempts to allow wikipedia as a reference in undergrad essays and papers (previously he was against wikipedia as a reference). ADHD shouldn't be your sole source of information (nothing should be a sole source of information), but it's certainly not a bad way to quickly brush up on the basics of a topic - as a springboard to more technical information on that topic. Also, for articles with a bias or which lack sources, you will almost always see a message at the top of the page stating as much.

The host of the ADHD psychosis article is not wikipedia. It is a website using the wiki style of content dissemination. There is no other relationship.

My 2 pence.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuse For This Useful Post:
Chanston (02-10-08), Matt S. (02-11-08)
Old 02-19-08, 10:01 PM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all

It seems to me if you are dealing with an actual psychosis you've moved beyond ADHD territory by definition into schiphrenia or bipolar, etc. I wouldn't call what he is describing psychosis -- there is no delusion present -- just poor follow through. Barkley talks about how with folks with ADHD it's not that they don't know, but that they have trouble acting on what they do know.

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
The Following User Says Thank You to Scattered For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (02-23-08)
Old 03-10-08, 09:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

KurtG85 will become famous soon enough

Defining this 'ADD-psychosis' as a specific disorder sounds pretty silly to me. It would be pretty confusing to call these symptoms 'psychosis' when they are actually just results of severe ADD. A defined label something along the lines of: 'ADD with psychotic-like (but not actually psychotic) symptoms' would probably be helpful though.
My first doctor mis diagnosed me as psychotic due to these exact same misperceptions.
Old 03-19-08, 07:53 PM
Contributor

justAwierd-o will become famous soon enough

I don't have ADHD. But the voices in my head do!

Kidding.

(not trying to insult anything, btw)

Old 03-26-08, 05:21 PM

dotan has a spectacular aura aboutdotan has a spectacular aura about

i can see why it might look like psychosis
the dissorgenized thought process . abstract mode of thinking . also when im tired and in deep need for stimuli i can easily look like in manic state but its never true psychosis . its intresting to see that schizophrenia and adhd both seem to have pathologys regarding dopamin .and the affect and emotional control seen in adhd seems at first glance like the flat affect of schizophrenia

Last edited by dotan; 03-26-08 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: i have adhd