ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Research
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Research Current medical research projects from not-for-profit organizations may be found in this forum. Posts in this section require Forums Staff Approval

Old 03-31-07, 11:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: In a cynical state of mind where mankind fails to impress
FightingBoredom will become famous soon enough
Fighting Disease with your idle PC

Not sure if everyone is aware of this but Stanford University has a project called Folding@Home: http://folding.stanford.edu/, which uses the power of millions of computers all over the world to process this open source work on protein causes of diseases such as Cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's, Mad Cow and many others. Unlike many chances to contribute this costs no time, nor money.

All they ask is some spare cycles of your idle CPU on your computer and a few Kilobytes of hard disk space.

That list of diseases probably has had a direct impact on you through family or friends, it did for me and was more than enough incentive for me to join the project to help solve these problems.

It's an amazing project where every single person joins with others to create an enormously huge impact.

With supercomputers, these projects could take decades. Using distributed computing, by installing a application, they have converted these decades into months and with more powerful CPUs coming, they hope to reduce this to weeks.

Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines."
Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold."
The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery. Folding@Home uses sophisticated models to fold proteins to determine when and how proteins do not fold correctly, resulting in disease.

The project has already resulted in many breakthroughs: http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

How does it work?

Like this: I have a 5MB frame (or chunk) of a work unit running on my computer right now. It will take about 24 minutes for that frame to be processed. The work unit it comes from has an estimated completion time of 104+ days. The more computers running frames of this work unit the fewer days it takes to complete the process.

More simply stated: just download the software and install it. Your life might be saved by the research they are doing.
our "higher" selves.
I just hope I can remember that I came to this realization!

And I'm sick of giving people advice. They don't listen. They don't really want to deal with their issues. They just want to whine and complain and have someone else listen and tell them everything is going to be OK!

Well, everything is NOT going to be OK unless you learn to handle whatever comes your way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FightingBoredom For This Useful Post:
Mary (04-08-08), TigerZ (04-07-08)
Old 04-07-08, 12:37 AM

TigerZ is on a distinguished road
Re: Fighting Disease with your idle PC

very cool post
Old 04-07-08, 05:34 PM

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

We did have something like that here in the forum.... not sure anymore though since my computer crashed last year. Search the forums or ask a mod or admin.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-08, 04:00 PM

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

I found the original one for here in the forum. It is no longer in existence. So thank you very much for giving us another opportunity to help fight cancer and other diseases.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 10-01-08, 03:47 AM
Banned

Jed Thorton is on a distinguished road

nevermind
Old 10-01-08, 08:22 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CrystalShiloh has a spectacular aura aboutCrystalShiloh has a spectacular aura about

I run Folding @ Home on my PS3.