ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-12, 02:34 AM

asdfdoc is on a distinguished road
ADHD due to too much dopamine

I was diagnosed due to ADHD. Adderall doesn't work on me. I just become even more hyper and manic. Is it possible to have ADHD symptoms due to too much dopamine and too little serotonin (chronic depression due to genetic factor)?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-12, 02:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of
Re: ADHD due to too much dopamine

It is possible that you are bipolar.

Just throwing that out there.

[0,0]
|)__)
---
The Following User Says Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 02:47 AM

On top of ADHD and social anxiety diagnoses. My differentials for other symptoms were depression, PTSD and bipolar 2. But I don't think I am bipolar. I am easily irritable but I never felt depressed unless there is a traumatic event. I am usually hyper but never depressed or moody. I do feel lonely when I am by myself but that's all. My girlfriend, my close friends and family tell me there is no way I fit the bipolar 2 description. However, adderall does make me feel like I am bipolar, but that's secondary reaction to adderall. Not sure what to take from this though...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-12, 03:22 AM

Thanked 6,241 Times in 3,064 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Try ritalin or concerta. Sometimes amphetamines relax me, sometimes they overshoot the goal and make me a little manic. Ritalin slows me down perfectly, and it's never given me the manic symptoms I can get on dexedrine.

Also try reducing your dose. A dose that's too high can make your symptoms worse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
asdfdoc (09-02-12), silivrentoliel (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 04:39 AM
Contributor

oneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really nice

Theres some research into using dopamine antagonists in the treatment of ADHD, to prevent aggression, and to sensitize the dopamine receptors:

"Stimulants are widely considered the first-line treatment recommendation for ADHD because of their high reported success rate.21 However, atypical antipsychotics have been shown to treat ADHD symptoms.2225 Specifically, risperidone was shown to improve attention and hyperactivity,26 and aripiprazole has been shown to improve cognitive functioning"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898838/

Not saying I would try an anti-psych ever though, scary side effects.

Its so much trial and error. You can always try just a ssri for a while too if you really think its depression and have alot of sadness. I'm also gonna quit adderall though (probably) because it makes me hyperfocus too much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oneup For This Useful Post:
asdfdoc (09-02-12), mctavish23 (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 11:33 AM

Unfortunately, my doc won't prescribe SSRI to me because of possible hypomanic episode due to bipolar 2 differentials. I understand her concern. I've been on St. John's wort for past week instead. SJW has an immediate effect on me (within 45 minutes) like mood lift and alertness lasting the whole day even from day 1. I don't necessarily focus better though...
Old 09-02-12, 11:43 AM

Thanked 10,187 Times in 3,203 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Okay, I don't practice on the net, nor am I qualified to prescribe.

Here's my (very limited) take on this.

Adderall and Ritalin (reportedly) have different actions on Dopamine, which appears to

be in regards to the length of one of the Dopamine related genes. I think it's the

receptor gene, but it might be the transporter. I haven't looked at this in a long time.

What I recall is that they (meds) impact the dopamine "pump" differently. For example,

Adderall creates more dopamine, while Ritalin "sucks up" the extra amount.

Once again, this is outside my element, so I claim no expertise.

Either way, good luck to you.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
CheekyMonkey (09-02-12), daveddd (09-02-12), Dizfriz (09-02-12), oneup (09-02-12), silivrentoliel (09-02-12), Spacemaster (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 05:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Zevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud of

That's an interesting theory. Adderall actually calms me down and takes away my manic hyperactivity, so I feel more relaxed and content than euphorically happy. So I wonder if increasing my dopamine levels out my other brain chemicals or if it just regulates how much dopamine it puts out?

It could be that you are taking too much. People that abuse adderall take it for the euphoric high that you just described.

Or maybe you need a non-stimulant medication.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevispaz For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 06:47 PM

I take 5mg adderall, my bp goes up and I get hyper. at 2.5mg, I don't feel anything. 5-HTP calms me and gives me more focus. St. John's wort gives me euphoria that is comparable to 10mg adderall pretty much within 45 minutes after ingestion without waiting 4-6 weeks. Not sure what to take from these results. I don't think I need a stimulant.
Old 09-02-12, 09:03 PM

Thanked 6,241 Times in 3,064 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

All you can conclude from your response is that you are sensitive to meds. Everyone has a different med "window" and it has nothing to do with whether or not you have ADHD. I'm also very sensitive to meds, it's harder for us to work out our correct med and dose because we have such a narrow window of effectiveness.

Again, I'd try ritalin first. I responded to amphetamines in much the same way as you. Ritalin is half as potent as adderall, so you'll have more room to figure out what the correct dose is. Ritalin is also much more calming to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-03-12), mctavish23 (09-02-12)
Old 09-03-12, 06:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

LaMbaL is just really niceLaMbaL is just really niceLaMbaL is just really niceLaMbaL is just really nice

SJW and 5HTP are both good supplements to take if youre low on serotonin, rather than dopamine.

Additionally, you could look into medications that affect your noreprephine (noradrenaline) levels, which is the third major neurotransmitter. Strattera for example works by affecting this transmitter rather than dopamine, and Wellbutrin also partially affects noreprephine. If traditional ADHD meds, which are dopamine focussed, dont work for you, you might want to try these.
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

- Jack Kerouac
The Following User Says Thank You to LaMbaL For This Useful Post:
ana futura (09-03-12)