ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact > Teacher's Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Teacher's Corner A public forum to discuss the challenges of ADD/ADHD in schools

Old 11-20-16, 06:03 PM
Contributor

julialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud of
Flexible seating in classrooms!!??

so i downloaded pinterest after i deactivated facebook because i needed SOMETHING to "waste" my time on

and primarily so i could save teaching ideas

and i stumbled upon FLEXIBLE SEATING

http://pin.it/nbOYagC

http://pin.it/caiuKIV

http://pin.it/fUBlDV3

http://pin.it/xtCw1fJ

honestly, i would have LOVED something like this. there just wasn't anything enjoyable about trying to sit cross-legged in a hard plastic and metal desk, or sitting on top of my legs, but i always did it anyway.

but basically, would this be good or counterproductive for a classroom with kids with adhd? i'm training for secondary education, so students wouldnt be in my class all day, so that's the context i'm thinking of it.

and like since stuff costs money, it wouldnt have those couches, omg (it would be cool though)

bean bag chairs, papasan, yoga balls, maybe even just cushions to put on top of their seats?

i'd worry about the fights students might have or the grudges they might hold if someone beats them to the seat they really wanted though, ha!

-neutral milk hotel
Old 11-21-16, 02:18 PM
Contributor

julialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud of
Re: Flexible seating in classrooms!!??

Ahhhh I'll post working links soon!!!

-neutral milk hotel
Old 11-21-16, 03:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jeftheginger is a jewel in the roughJeftheginger is a jewel in the roughJeftheginger is a jewel in the rough

Yes do that
I would love a class like that though
Some of my class's are like that but not so much.
julialouise (11-21-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-16, 05:03 PM
Contributor

this one is too big to put in here but here's the link

good thing Go Fund Me is a thing!!!! (and similar fundraiser sites, lol!)

-neutral milk hotel
The Following User Says Thank You to julialouise For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-21-16)
Old 11-21-16, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jeftheginger is a jewel in the roughJeftheginger is a jewel in the roughJeftheginger is a jewel in the rough

Sign me up
julialouise (11-22-16)
Old 11-21-16, 10:57 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,403 Times in 5,428 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Yoga balls may get nixed by administration or risk management for a number of reasons. Some of the teachers at the high school where I work do offer alternate seating for some activities (like when watching a movie), but not all of the time.

Related pro-tip: if you're going to offer small fidgets (objects that can be fiddled with unobtrusively), it's probably best if they are not in the shape of a ball. Otherwise they will be thrown across the room.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
julialouise (11-22-16)
Old 11-22-16, 06:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a great idea however for me, I wouldnt have ever shut up or stopped fooling around if I had my own little group to work with.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
julialouise (11-22-16), Little Missy (11-22-16)
Old 11-22-16, 12:43 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
Yoga balls may get nixed by administration or risk management for a number of reasons. Some of the teachers at the high school where I work do offer alternate seating for some activities (like when watching a movie), but not all of the time.

Related pro-tip: if you're going to offer small fidgets (objects that can be fiddled with unobtrusively), it's probably best if they are not in the shape of a ball. Otherwise they will be thrown across the room.
yesss i am definitely planning to have those. and knowing middle school kids, i'm definitely gonna need to be careful. i heard of teachers giving out colorful pipe cleaners, but those are sharp and people can poke each other with them. i like putty, but that can get gross fast.

but OMG i just looked up fidgets online (which i hadn't done yet) and i just saw a STRETCHY DOLLAR

ooh or stretchy string

i like stretchy things a LOT

-neutral milk hotel
The Following User Says Thank You to julialouise For This Useful Post:
Jeftheginger (11-22-16)