ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact > Teacher's Corner
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Teacher's Corner A public forum to discuss the challenges of ADD/ADHD in schools

Old 02-21-11, 07:15 PM

laurbuck66 will become famous soon enough
Re: Calling All High School Teachers with ADHD

Glad to read there are more like me out there!
I teach h.s. special ed in an alternative school and my supervisor is very demanding, organization/data/paperwork-wise. It's a nightmare. This my 3rd attempt at teaching, and it is NOT the charm.

What I needed in an ideal world was to be diagnosed in h.s. or college and some career counselor to tell me that, with the paperwork and organization required, special education would NOT be a good choice for me.

I'm about at the end of my rope, wishing DH made enough that I could quit and be a substitute.

I have to get out! I know I'd be a great tutor, but how do you get such a gig?
Old 02-26-11, 06:09 PM

StrangeLttlGrrl will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Calling All High School Teachers with ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimba View Post
Anyone else teach college?
YES!!! I have a grad degree in philosophy and I have taught college/university for 15 years. Philosophy is a complex discipline. The one thing I can't stand? "Surely you can't have ADD -- look at what you do for a living!" For me it's been more like -- "I teach philosophy in college -- why can't I remember the next sentence that was supposed to come out my mouth??!?"

So glad to see fellow teachers here and know I'm not alone!!
Old 03-28-11, 12:12 PM

Lottie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha1983 View Post
In terms of classroom management style, I found it hard when I was in a class of 30, due to the way my brain processes sound. Instead of filtering things out I hear everything at once. It was handy for going, "Sam up the back, stop talking about Myspace!" but also frustrating as I'd be talking, writing on the board, thinking what was coming next and scanning and behaviour managing all at the same time.

I tried sooooooo hard my first prac, and got top marks, but was just exhausted. In comparison Learning Support (up to 14) and tutoring is a breeze. I guess too in learning support you know a kid is acting up because they have an actual problem, whereas in mainstream they're often acting up just because they want to be little punks and show off in front of their friends!
hmmm sorry i disagree most children would not play up if there was not a problem...but what do i know i teach k-p and we have holistic approaches...what about undiagnosed add chilsdren may have? amonst other things I get so much flack actually because of my teaching style i dont think i am cut out for it. having a raeally hard time at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lottie For This Useful Post:
Spikey 723 (03-28-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-11, 11:39 PM

owegophil is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Calling All High School Teachers with ADHD

Oh, the irony.... I should be planning, but instead, I'm posting to a thread regarding my troubles with teaching and distractions...

telling my HS students about my ADHD: I don't put a name on it, but I absolutely admit all my struggles. "I have a hard time remembering things - please write that down." or "You KNOW I'm not good keeping track of paper - put that in my mailbox", etc. I think it's better to admit all your weaknesses individually, rather than give someone a shortcut to apply lots of stereotypes to your situation that may not apply to you.

telling my administration about my ADHD: I haven't done this, and it's probably not necessary. However, I've been searching and searching for a medication that might help me, and some have DESTROYED me... 45 min of sleep the night before class, major depressive episodes, etc. They see the gap between what I agree to/say I want to accomplish, and what I actually do, and think i'm a big fat liar. And that makes me want to go 'impulsive' on them, but I still haven't told them.

handling routine tasks: ("i never remember to take attendance" - i think that should be the test for identifying ADHD in teachers!) Every time I forget to do something routine, i delegate that task for extra credit. I have handing out papers, answering questions, answering the door, writing reminders on the board, collecting work, taking attendance, checking for clean work stations, ALL delegated. Kids like to do things that they can do a great job at, esp when the TEACHER can't.

reminders: "if you want to tell me something, you know I'll forget it - write me a note. I'll handle it when things aren't so busy."

(I know none of you are still reading bc you're ADHD - but I'll keep writing

classroom management: could be better, but it's a loving and productive environment. i talk with any kid who blurts out, and I run off to do an impromptu demo, so there's plenty of chit chat in the dead spots. however, I send any offenders out in the hall immediately, and continue to teach. I have my "reminder" student let me know when 3 minutes are up, and I go talk with the the offender.
My first question is "hey, you don't seem yourself today. Is everything OK?" 95 of 100 times the kid got kicked out of the house, or hasn't eaten in 18 hours, or something obscenely terrible - and they APOLOGIZE for acting like a crazy person!! I just say "hey, that sounds pretty rough. You're handling it better than I would. Let's just get through today, things will be better soon - I believe in you."
9 of 10 times, they follow me in and are total angels. Sometimes they act tough and stay in hall for a few minutes. No big loss.
If the kid said "nope. nothing is wrong", I probe a bit, and ask if the work is too hard/boring/etc and finally say
"so, know that I know everything is ok with you, that's great. what ISN'T great are some of your behaviors in there. you and I both know you're better than that, and I'm not doing you OR me any good if I let that (crap/ ****/ bull**** - whatever gets their attention) continue. If you ever need help from me - I'm there for you. Until then, I expect more from you, so get in there and get your *** to work, ok? OK. C'mon." and I motion inside.
And the kids will sheepishly SMILE at me! one kid said "damn, i got a lot of respect for you right now."

All that said - I think I'll be better at somethign else than I will as a teacher. It makes me vulnerable to most of my weaknesses, and I can't get to many of my strengths. I was an engineer before, and it was boring. Who knows where I'll go next...

Best wishes to each of you,
Phil
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owegophil For This Useful Post:
demfabbones (04-04-11), Terranaut (03-11-16)
Old 04-04-11, 08:46 AM
Contributor

demfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to all

I teach middle school but I sympathize with some of what you struggle with in the classroom - the general disorganization, easily distracted, etc. I have only been teaching 2 years and so far I have not learned how to truly cope. The students know I am disorganized and make occasional comments about it, which hurts my feelings, (teaching is not for the overly sensitive) or they take advantage of me by claiming I've lost their papers. Because this has sometimes happened in the past, it makes my defense less valid. Some parents have been on me for the same things as well. I know I have ended up giving kids grades when they probably never did the assignment, but I sometimes I don't trust my self enough to take a stand. I also forget to do things so I think a lot of my students (and parents and co-workers) just think I'm a flake.

I also tend to let things slide until they are too big for just a simple talking-to. Just like in life, I constantly push things aside with, "It'll be fine," until it isn't.

I have been in trouble with my administrators this year. I had some major personal stress in my life so I still have a sense of injustice about their timing, but they put me on a plan of improvement for classroom management and organization. They do not know about my ADD and I do not intend to tell them as I don't think they'd be sympathetic. (I once heard my principal go on a tirade about how ADHD isn't real and is just an excuse for bad parenting.)

I do the best I can when I have the energy, which these days is running low. I think I connect well with the kids but I have more fun talking to them than actually teaching them anything. I also teach English and it seems hard to hold their attention in that. Teaching is hard because it's not like you can just hide in your cubicle if you're having a bad day. You have to be constantly "on" or risk losing control of 30+ kids. That can be a lot of pressure.

The Following User Says Thank You to demfabbones For This Useful Post:
teachergal (02-24-13)
Old 04-04-11, 11:16 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,107 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

I'm in my first year of study for high school teaching, only get to go to high school practicals next year though but my ultimate goal is to become a university psychology lecturer
Old 04-14-11, 06:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Darkpk55 is a jewel in the roughDarkpk55 is a jewel in the roughDarkpk55 is a jewel in the rough

I wanted to become a teacher, but I can't explain things, My family is annoyed by me. It's because I constantly mess up and stutter.

OH WELL
Old 05-02-12, 10:56 PM

weaverde is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested in talking with any of you. My own situation is that the ADHD is affecting not only my classroom management but my relation with my math teacher peers. I see a lot of my own symptoms in those described by "artsyfart". Some students seem to like working with me, but I am wondering if I should just work with a certain type of student. In any case, getting through a teaching day without drama is something I haven't been able to achieve. So coping strategies that have worked with any of you?
The Following User Says Thank You to weaverde For This Useful Post:
teachergal (02-24-13)
Old 05-03-12, 08:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sir5r1 has a spectacular aura aboutSir5r1 has a spectacular aura about

My organization and classroom management improved a lot when I got on
Medication. Your awareness greatly improves and there's less procrastination.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
Old 08-19-12, 02:32 PM

mimosa is on a distinguished road

I was able to exhale after reading everyone's posts. Thank you! I feel like I was looking in the mirror. I struggle most with grading papers!! Please help. I would luv to be able to have a few tried and true strategies before I begin the new school year ...next week. Any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to mimosa For This Useful Post:
Terranaut (03-11-16)
Old 08-23-12, 03:36 PM

Kimmyc is on a distinguished road

I am a high school teacher with ADHD. I have struggled through my 10 year career, and have constantly felt like a fraud. I have covered up so many mistakes and cut so many corners that if my administrators knew the extent of it all, they would surely fire me.
Because I am so disorganized with paperwork, I have tried countless "systems" for dealing with the constant stream of papers, all without success. I have lost student work, lost my gradebook, I misplace my pen every five minutes, and can rarely get though a lesson without asking the class what it was I was just talking about.
I rationalized my shortcomings to myself, by saying that I connect with the kids, and that I care about them, and that is enough to be successful. But as you all know, caring is just not enough.
I have finally begun treatment for ADHD, and I am looking forward to re-trying all my strategies for organization, with the faint hope of being successful.
Thanks for showing me I am not alone!
Kim
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimmyc For This Useful Post:
Terranaut (03-11-16)
Old 01-06-13, 11:31 PM

stephjackster is on a distinguished road

So happy to have finally found this forum !!!

I'm a history teacher, and my school is teaching a curriculum that is heavilly writing-centered, and I'm having trouble keeping up with all of the grading of written work. I also have trouble because I am a traveller, meaning I switch rooms every . . .single . . .period of the day. Losing/misplacing/dropping things throughout my daily journey with my cart is getting a bit old. I've developed a slightly better system over this semester, but when I had my own class last year, I didn't have anywhere close to the issues that I have now with respect to classroom management and organization. Not sure what to do exactly. . .

Old 01-17-13, 12:28 AM

Sugar8 is on a distinguished road

Me= teacher special education-- multiple impairments for most of my career. But like everyone else- struggle with paper work. Of course it can be compounded by the fact that it's Special Education paper work, but like non ADHD teachers who just do it and get it over with.. I procrastinate it, find it tedious, and the data on goals for students-- goals that often teachers look into a crystal ball to create-- bother me.

If they only knew.

Lucky for me the parents notice my effort and how their children grow and learn, and how I can be on target with really helping meet their child's needs in terms of learning methods of communicating and physical development-- although school admin and evaluators are like "where are the abc's and 123's you are supposed to be teaching according to the curriuculum." Ugh...

Anyway, I have problems of being late, seeming to be scattered, scattered brain, and I think that stop-go issue of ADHD is visible to others who are "normal" and not so understanding. I mean stop-go issue like-- we can't get started so quickly, and we don't stop when we are supposed to. Makes it difficult for me when evaluator comes in at 12:05 and we are supposed to be on reading and we're just finishing up a math activity.
Old 02-12-13, 01:42 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

RobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of light

Not a teacher but I really appreciate that one of my hs teachers was very open about his ADHD. He was one of my favorites. Same with a college professor, though he ndver expressly said he had adhd. It helped me come to terms with my own ADHD later on. We need teachers that students can relate to.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobotInDisguise For This Useful Post:
casper (04-27-16)
Old 02-24-13, 06:13 PM
Jr Member

teachergal is on a distinguished road

Oh man, I wish there was a forum for elementary teachers! Maybe I'll start one! I was diagnosed with ADHD at 6 years old, and have been on Adderall pretty much my whole life. It has worked wonders for me (would NOT have graduated college without it!) But now I am teaching first grade (second year as a teacher) and I am just wondering if teaching is truly the thing for me. The paperwork and the organization are obviously not ideal for me, but I get by with those things. What I can't cope with is the constant distraction! I have a lot of anxiety of having the perfect class (had a bad experience with a principal last year that made me feel inadequate) so I turn out to be a bit of a drill sergeant. Problem is, I work with 6 year olds, and they are seemingly incapable of NOT TALKING during my teaching. Everything is a serious distraction. If there is someone talking durning a lesson I cannot think about what I am doing, so I spend a lot more time getting angry with them than I do teaching. I haven't figured out how to deal with the little noises (or even the way they are moving, for that matter). Anyone found success with coping with such things? I am going to give it one more year, but this may not be the career for me. May look in to tutoring. Any help would be appreciated!