ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-15-08, 08:46 AM

CYCLE FATIGUE is on a distinguished road
hitting the books for the 1st time in 30 years

I just started back to studying.I go to the library 4- 6 hrs 5 days a week.I had to rewind my math so far it sucked.Alg 1 basic alg etc.i hit snags at times and fly others.for instance i had a simple equasion for a falling object from rest and i kept coming up with the wrong answer even though the fromula was in front of me.I just was now understanding what it was telling me.I noticed i can slaghter math if it gets past the language interpretation.this field screws me up.estimating i rail on cause they dont seem to go through the same process as exact calculations.(Iswear i read this once).Anyhow what is the best way to aid this problem?sucks cause its effecting me in physics sometimes.
Old 10-15-08, 09:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

hillzy has a spectacular aura abouthillzy has a spectacular aura about
Re: hitting the books for the 1st time in 30 years

For short answer problems you just gotta read the question really carefully and extract the useful information and filter out the extraneous info that they also provide as a distraction. If possible, you should ask someone to read the question outloud to you. I've found that this sometimes helps other information jump out at you, that you may not have otherwise noticed.

Other than that there isn't any true 'remedy' (in my opinion) other than going over dozens of questions over and over again, especially when it comes to maths and sciences. Drilling yourself and becoming habituated with what the questions are demanding you to do, and training yourself hencewise is the difference between an A or a B or C.

Anyone else wanna weigh in? I'm really not a math expert .. in fact, I hate math, but this (mentioned above) is what got me through all my math-like classes (i.e. economics), that and 75% extra time on math-based exams

"...You are not to blame for your bittersweet distractors"--Radiohead
Old 10-20-08, 09:10 AM

CYCLE FATIGUE is on a distinguished road
Re: hitting the books for the 1st time in 30 years

I have started reading aloud at times.I also have changed my aproach to math.I am not so concerned as showing me this and that formulas as much as whats the laws and contained rules and orders.Once you know and understand its parts and its rules you dont have to remember anymore.I figure less ya have to pull from memory the better.so ill let ya know.My goal is to go through alg geo and trig by end of the year and understand and retain it.
So far as i am concerned is all maths the same.its all ading ,subtracting,multiplying and dividing.There's just more and more damn parts
Sponsored Links